ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Our future with Royal Mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by tommyrep »

Hi fellow posters.
I would just like to hear the views on our future working for RM.
Are the proposed changes- contrary to already agreed legally bound contracts - acceptable to the staff and particularly Union members ? How far are you prepared to go in our fight with an intransigent,bullying Employer ?
Do we simply accept RMs view that to compete with rivals, our dropping mail volumes and tough parcel competition that we are also have to accept poorer working conditions and pension, sick pay entitlements etc, ??
Are senior managements terms and conditions being attacked at the same level ?.?
Do we not see the wood for the trees out there? RM are preparing for a stand off eventually and will blame the staffs lack of vision to keep the customers happy and shareholders at their expense .?
Carefully read the last RM propaganda paper - the courier - they are already putting blame on us, the over worked, over stressed staff. The constant bullying continues unabated with NO fight or response from the Union in general terms. Each unit is being left to stand alone, strong leadership is required and a body of staff to support that leadership now more than ever. Our Armageddon day is upon us, so is there enough grit, self respect and dignity left to fight ? I wish I could rely on support, but very concerned for all our futures. Await some constructive views.
Last edited by tommyrep on 01 Jul 2017, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by eastie »

Things can't be that bad if we are still making a profit.
Had a ridiculously heavy week on delivery with parcels through the roof and failures in our office.
The Courior is full of bullsh1t
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by fishtank »

Do we simply accept RMs view that to compete with rivals....
Just to make the point clear because it's a line I've heard from both the business and the union and it's actually bullshit. We don't have any rivals doing the same job for less money. Wistl tried it and failed, primarily because they were churning through staff at a ridiculous rate. If Royal Mail want to offer me a nice cosy parcel delivery job instead of walking the streets for 5 hours in all weathers I might consider doing it for slightly less money but until they do they can stop pretending we're paid more than the rest of the industry, we are the f***ing "industry".
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by tommyrep »

eastie wrote:Things can't be that bad if we are still making a profit.
Had a ridiculously heavy week on delivery with parcels through the roof and failures in our office.
The Courior is full of bullsh1t
I agree that the courier is a s**t propelling rag.
I know and accept the true mail/packet traffic as everyone in delivery does.
The problem is RM refute and strongly disagree. I and you know the are lying bas...ds.
They do not wish to face the facts, only cutting our T&Cs.
My post was to try and see if other posters realise the situ, they will always spout hard times ahead, my question is really do we all accept like lambs to the proverbial slaughter while RM blame us at the same time ?
It is not an ideal situation, but, is there a real feeling among members/ non - union posties that we cannot continue on the current path of managers bullying and shaming us into submission. We need to grow a pair, FIGHT to protect our jobs, they already have a brow beaten staff un- prepared to stand up for themselves fir FEAR of intimidation. Do we roll over and die with NO dignity at the hands of a tyrant employer??
taxi4leighton
Posts: 343
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:05

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by taxi4leighton »

i agree with everything you said.one of the problems is that most of us are too insular .we only see things at our local level.we see unfilled vacancies,obsession with absorbing,breaking of national agreements and bullying as local problems.but its obviously a national scandal.we need leaders of our union to be more pro-active,instead of churning out nonsense like 4 pillars?.imagine how a proper leader like the late Bob Crow would have dealt with royal mail
Tomolo208
Posts: 102
Joined: 19 Feb 2017, 07:43
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by Tomolo208 »

We had a union meeting the other day where they said that they are trying to implement new staff starting on £8 an hour. This is what worries me the most.

I have heard rumours that they will not be offering any more full time contracts either. As a new starter this is a massive reason to leave, as I'm only on a 20 hour contract (despite working 40+hrs every week). I heavily rely on the 'overtime' and I'm all too well aware that if they start employing new 'temporary' staff at £8 an hour I can kiss goodbye to any future 'overtime'. Why would they choose to give overtime to someone like me when it would cost them £2 an hr more!

If any of you want to earn overtime in the future, I highly recommend you to not allow new starters to undercut you. If it is brought in then I predict royal mail will become a staff turnover mill, letting people go before they reach their pay rise.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by Brandy »

tommyrep wrote:Hi fellow posters.
I would just like to hear the views on our future working for RM.
Are the proposed changes- contrary to already agreed legally bound contracts - acceptable to the staff and particularly Union members ? How far are you prepared to go in our fight with an intransigent,bullying Employer ?
Do we simply accept RMs view that to compete with rivals, our dropping mail volumes and tough parcel competition that we are also have to accept poorer working conditions and pension, sick pay entitlements etc, ??
Are senior managements terms and conditions being attacked at the same level ?.?
Do we not see the wood for the trees out there? RM are preparing for a stand off eventually and will blame the staffs lack of vision to keep the customers happy and shareholders at their expense .?
Carefully read the last RM propaganda paper - the courier - they are already putting blame on us, the over worked, over stressed staff. The constant bullying continues unabated with NO fight or response from the Union in general terms. Each unit is being left to stand alone, strong leadership is required and a body of staff to support that leadership now more than ever. Our Armageddon day is upon us, so is there enough grit, self respect and dignity left to fight ? I wish I could rely on support, but very concerned for all our futures. Await some constructive views.
I used to love being a postie,looked forward to going to work,enjoyed the banter from my fellow posties,didnt mind whatever the weather threw at me,I still loved my job,but then it all changed. The bullying started from the managers,I dreaded going into work,wondering how I would be treated,made to feel I wasnt up to the job anymore,in the end I couldnt take anymore,I left .
Yes it did leave a bitter taste in my mouth how I was treated,but I know I made the right decision to get out when I did,come on CWU stick up for the posties,they need you now more than ever. :pray
thumbcat
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 12:59
Gender: Female

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by thumbcat »

I'm fairly new and even I can see what a terrible propaganda rag the Courier is. The latest one stating that if industrial action was taken any proposals that they're currently looking at will be 'off the table' is just shocking. I'm fully prepared to stand with my colleagues on the tarmac if it comes to that.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

tommyrep wrote:Hi fellow posters.
Are the proposed changes- contrary to already agreed legally bound contracts - acceptable to the staff and particularly Union members ?
No
tommyrep wrote:How far are you prepared to go in our fight with an intransigent,bullying Employer ?
All out strike
tommyrep wrote:Do we simply accept RMs view that to compete with rivals, our dropping mail volumes and tough parcel competition that we also have to accept poorer working conditions and pension, sick pay entitlements etc, ??
No bring theirs up to ours. The more money spent in an economy the more work we might get. The less money to spend the less work we get.
tommyrep wrote:Are senior managements terms and conditions being attacked at the same level ?.?
Unless you count getting a pay rise of £300,000 as that, no.
tommyrep wrote:Do we not see the wood for the trees out there? RM are preparing for a stand off eventually and will blame the staff's lack of vision to keep the customers happy and shareholders at their expense .?
That's a given. Its already started with the bulletins they keep force feeding us with.
tommyrep wrote:Carefully read the last RM propaganda paper - the courier - they are already putting blame on us, the over worked, over stressed staff. The constant bullying continues unabated with NO fight or response from the Union in general terms.
Read the courier, no thannks I have better usess as does my Cat.
tommyrep wrote:Each unit is being left to stand alone, strong leadership is required and a body of staff to support that leadership now more than ever.
I agree, even the 4 pillars is lack lustre at Unit level. Branches need a good sort out because they are stopping the top level communicating effectively with the lower level. Although HQ using FaceBook is doing an end run round them to some extent.
tommyrep wrote:Our Armageddon day is upon us, so is there enough grit, self respect and dignity left to fight ? I wish I could rely on support, but very concerned for all our futures. Await some constructive views.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by rubberbond »

To paraphrase from Blackadder, the only thing anyone should have against this fine publication, is their bottom. Just send it back refused,they stop sending it and the other toilet paper. Okay so you have to buy your own toilet paper,but it's a price worth paying and it will flush better.
Elsewhere on this board is a thread about carbon footprint,or some other ideological,pseudo scientific waffle,perhaps if they stopped printing this garbage they could save a few more ounces if carbon.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by worktotime »

rubberbond wrote:To paraphrase from Blackadder, the only thing anyone should have against this fine publication, is their bottom. Just send it back refused,they stop sending it and the other toilet paper. Okay so you have to buy your own toilet paper,but it's a price worth paying and it will flush better.
Elsewhere on this board is a thread about carbon footprint,or some other ideological,pseudo scientific waffle,perhaps if they stopped printing this garbage they could save a few more ounces if carbon.
to right I did send back as refused , don't get any of the s**t now , lol
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by tommyrep »

Brandy.
Best wishes on retirement from RM. you must be glad to be away from daily torture, that is delivery.
Yes times have changed, drastically ! You may have had longer service than most modern day posties, to reflect on good old days. BUT"...."..
Who would believe how quickly how much a job can change so much in the past 5 years.
The pendulum has swung so far in RMs direction it is truly unbelievable.
Our own colleagues have been more culpable than the evil RM management.
They - mostly - have never gotten over the job n finish mentality. Still they go in early, miss breaks, work at breakneck speeds,do extra lapsing only to puff chests out and appear to be the best postie. People trying to do the job properly get chastised, humiliated and bullied for their efforts - expected from management but unfortunately also by work colleagues.
The carrot was dangled, short term gain won over long term logic, in short the worforce were conned BIG time.
WHY, I cannot explain. Now it is the normal for managers to daily bully, criticise and intimidate delivery staff and they do this WITHOUT impunity. It is scandalous, unfair and downright disgusting ! but, it continues unabated.
You may reflect and sympathise, but this is routine RM management at DOs nowadays and many colleagues are more responsible for that than RM. Unfortunately !!!
,
Last edited by tommyrep on 01 Jul 2017, 20:55, edited 3 times in total.
tommyrep
Posts: 561
Joined: 28 Feb 2012, 21:57
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by tommyrep »

TBT.
I accept the efforts made by the union on behalf of the members, but, the importance of our situation cannot be under estimated. To the general posties, it still appears that RM are doing and will continue to do as they please.
There is NO feeling of hope within the grass roots that our interests are being met - or effectively argued for.
All we see from RM is directed THREAT, if we do not toe the line and dance to their tune. Effectively, loose agreed T&Cs. or we will face oblivion. Hardly a morale boosting situation. We need and deserve much better leadership options presented at this time, the 4 pillars ?, start with how we can effectively deal with bullying management. I mean get the intimidation, bullying aggressive management stopped NOW. We deserve to attend work without due stress as is now currently the norm.
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by Brandy »

tommyrep wrote:Brandy.
Best wishes on retirement from RM. you must be glad to be away from daily torture, that is delivery.
Yes times have changed, drastically ! You may have had longer service than most modern day posties, to reflect on good old days. BUT"...."..
Who would believe how quickly how much a job can change so much in the past 5 years.
The apendulum has swung so far in Res direction it is truly unbelievable.
Our own colleagues have been more culpable than the evil RM management.
They - mostly - gave never got over the job n finish mentality. Still go in early, miss breaks, work at breakneck speeds,do extra lapsing only to puff chests out and appear to be the best postie. People trying to do the job properly get chastised, humiliated and bullied for their efforts - expected from management but unfortunately also by work colleagues.
The carrot was dangled, short term gain won over long term logic, in short the worforce were conned BIG time.
WHY, I cannot explain. Now it is the normal for managers to daily bully, criticise and intimidate delivery staff and they do this WITHOUT impunity. It is scandalous, unfair and downright disgusting ! but, it continues unabated.
You may reflect and sympathise, but this is routine RM management at DOs nowadays and any colleagues are more responsible for that than RM. Unfortunately !!!
,
Thankyou Tommyrep, for your kind post.I was a postie for 19 years,and yes I am glad now to have got away from delivery .It was a great job spoiled by horrendous mismanagement.
What I find so unbelievable is that RM make out they are so concerned about mental health,cant they see what this awful bullying and intimidation can and does do to your mental health,I was lucky in a way I could,and chose to walk away,others cant. :pray
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Our future with Royal Mail

Post by eastie »

fishtank wrote:
Do we simply accept RMs view that to compete with rivals....
Just to make the point clear because it's a line I've heard from both the business and the union and it's actually bullshit. We don't have any rivals doing the same job for less money. Wistl tried it and failed, primarily because they were churning through staff at a ridiculous rate. If Royal Mail want to offer me a nice cosy parcel delivery job instead of walking the streets for 5 hours in all weathers I might consider doing it for slightly less money but until they do they can stop pretending we're paid more than the rest of the industry, we are the f***ing "industry".
Well said