ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
WATERPROOF
-
Jmdnnlln
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 10:38
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
What's with the waterproofs provided by Royal Mail?..
Has someone been taking a back pocket bribe for the contract, because I'm getting WET THROUGH within 5 minutes of a light shower with ANY of my jackets provided.
I've just tried using Fabsil spray on my lightweight jacket, WASTE OF TIME, But at least my wife had fun using the hosepipe on testing
WHY HASN'T ANYTHING BEEN DONE ABOUT THIS???? Everyone in my office has the same issue!
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
not fit for purpose like the other 99% of the stuff they provide!
-
Jmdnnlln
- Posts: 25
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 10:38
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
Agreed, but why do they purchase this crap? I would gladly pay for an ACTUAL waterproof jacket meaning I dont get pi$$ wet through every time it rains.. I've also been told I MUST wear the 'uniform'' and not my own gear !!!lightningpostman wrote:not fit for purpose like the other 99% of the stuff they provide!
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
You would have thought that given the enormous buying power they have ,they would be able to sort some decent gear out. It's all very well saying you must wear the uniform provided,but most of it is ill fitting, poor quality and not fit for purpose. The only thing I wear that they provide are the blue shirts,the rest of it is just rag grade.
-
Bboingg
- Posts: 69
- Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 20:35
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
You can be certain they won't leave the office to check what you are wearing when it's bad out there!
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
WATERPROOF
Yes, the enormous buying power that Royal Mail have would allow them to buy high quality waterproofs at the lowest possible price but it also allows Royal Mail to buy the lowest quality waterproofs at the lowest possible price.rubberbond wrote:You would have thought that given the enormous buying power they have ,they would be able to sort some decent gear out. It's all very well saying you must wear the uniform provided,but most of it is ill fitting, poor quality and not fit for purpose. The only thing I wear that they provide are the blue shirts,the rest of it is just rag grade.
-
wallop
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 251
- Joined: 02 Feb 2011, 07:34
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
The red jacket is called a shower jacket for good reason it works for just the one shower.
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
WATERPROOF
Because we work for a shower.wallop wrote:The red jacket is called a shower jacket for good reason.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
The hood on the stormproof is utterly useless, the slightest breeze and it blows off your head, it only stays up if you pull the drawstrings as tight as possible and tie them together (so you end up looking like Kenny out of Southpark)
-
Lamby06
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 27 Aug 2015, 18:35
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
Plus once you've tied them you can't get them undone and end up trapped in your hoodwacko74 wrote:The hood on the stormproof is utterly useless, the slightest breeze and it blows off your head, it only stays up if you pull the drawstrings as tight as possible and tie them together (so you end up looking like Kenny out of Southpark)
-
thumbcat
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 12:59
- Gender: Female
WATERPROOF
I can only think that the people who tested the storm proof jacket had very little heads as the hood doesn't even cover my head all the way to the front. You'd think a decent waterproof would be a basic in this job.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
WATERPROOF
I bought myself a red Berghaus waterproof jacket and yes it is waterproof! I wore it under my non-waterproof RM coat in the winter. I'd rather pay to be dry.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
Know they're not strictly designed to be waterproof. But any one finding the new fleeces leak like a sieve even in small showers. The old ones were much better. More cost cutting.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
I wear my own goretex jacket with a hi viz over it when it rains. No one has said a thing. Im sure no one will notice if you get a red waterproof jacket from a hiking store. You will be amazed how small it will pack down and how the hood stays up in the wind and channels water away rather than down your face like the royal mail storm jacket. Its well worth the investment. If you get it in a sale, it will only set you back £70 or so.
Properly designed jackets with decent materials cost at least this much, I would guess to even buy in bulk. Can you imagine Royal Mail forking out £7,000,000 (100,000 posties at £70 a pop) for waterproof jackets when they make posties scrounge for 0.1p rubber bands? Nope me neither. I reckon the stormproof jacket costs them £20 at most.
The rest of the Royal Mail gear, although shite is passable. After wearing Royal Mail shite day in day out, I am amazed when I get in my full hiking gear, at how comfortable it is and how well it performs what ever the weather. Mind you, the full regalia cost me about £700 -£800 (jacket, base layer, mid layer, trousers, boots). Add a couple more base layers and trousers, you are looking at £1000 easy. Can you imagine Royal Mail paying out £100 million pounds (100,000 postmen at £1000 a pop) for uniforms when many offices have shortages of redirection bags that must cost 0.1p? Nope, me neither.
Properly designed jackets with decent materials cost at least this much, I would guess to even buy in bulk. Can you imagine Royal Mail forking out £7,000,000 (100,000 posties at £70 a pop) for waterproof jackets when they make posties scrounge for 0.1p rubber bands? Nope me neither. I reckon the stormproof jacket costs them £20 at most.
The rest of the Royal Mail gear, although shite is passable. After wearing Royal Mail shite day in day out, I am amazed when I get in my full hiking gear, at how comfortable it is and how well it performs what ever the weather. Mind you, the full regalia cost me about £700 -£800 (jacket, base layer, mid layer, trousers, boots). Add a couple more base layers and trousers, you are looking at £1000 easy. Can you imagine Royal Mail paying out £100 million pounds (100,000 postmen at £1000 a pop) for uniforms when many offices have shortages of redirection bags that must cost 0.1p? Nope, me neither.
-
tone123
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 26 Jan 2016, 12:09
- Gender: Male
WATERPROOF
I don't understand why they have both long and short trousers made of heavy fabric. A decent pair of zip-off walking trousers is not expensive and would save on having two different garments on offer. it would also allow you to add/remove the legs whilst on a walk.