ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
MissKazzyB
Posts: 80
Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
Gender: Female

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by MissKazzyB »

So I'm back here again. Just to give you an update on my day so far....
Felt pissed off/stressed before I even started :-((
Went in - Tied up - Loaded the barrel
Very heavy day so called rep & dom over to say that u will do my best to complete but doubt I'll be able to by my finish time. Was told that I am expected to get it done as this is my job basically so I said once again - I know that but I'm not upto speed as older posties so doubt I'll finish it but will do my best. Dom said whatever you can't do, just bring it back to office. Anyway I didn't & couldn't finish it by my finish time so took it back whilst feeling so s**t in myself & worrying what they're think. I text the don to let him know & he replied we're look at it in the morning :-(( Great so what does that mean, I have to do it tomorrow along with tomorrow's which obviously will be even more than today. Anyway I was unloading the barrel & realised I left my pda on a window ledge when I was writing a 739. That was the last straw for me. I thought whatever next could go wrong, will go wrong. Started to feel myself welling up inside. One of the guys asked if I was ok. My face must of said it all hence why he asked. That was it, I just burst out crying :-((((((( He had a talk with me about not stressing, I can only do whatever I can do. Don't take it personal when they say you have to do it blah blah blah Bless him
Inside I feel like such a failure - frustrated - physically/mentally exhausted & wondering if this is the right job for me. So much is going through my mind. Right this minute I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel even though everyone is saying it will get easier-stop stressing etc etc
Tomorrow is another day & I pray to god that it's a better day than today :-))
Thanks for listening. I needed to rant lol P.s I drove in my car & got the pda back :-)
deggyg
Posts: 65
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 15:18
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by deggyg »

Sorry you feel this way, I'm sure you've been told that you can work to your time, and that's it.
Let the DOM stress about what's not been completed, that's his job.
Sending you positive vibes
Once you get used to the fact it's their problem you will start to enjoy the job......until it rains
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Not much help to you but most of us on here will have had a day as bad as that.
tonyjkilleen
Posts: 4
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 14:42
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by tonyjkilleen »

This job can be crap no doubt! But stick with it most of your work colleagues are great .we always support each other .stick with it it does get better
Kobi72
Posts: 43
Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 11:01
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Kobi72 »

1st off stop stressing..let the dom do the stressing..how long have you been in the job? Honestly it does get easy..it just takes time.are you in the union? If so have a word with your union rep & explain you are struggling,a lighter duty may help to ease the burden on your self...if you ever need any help for anything to do with the job,just start a thread on here or send me a message on here..always here to help ;)
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by woopesh »

Your DOM might be alright. I had one DOM he saw I was struggling when I was new and he sent started to send me out with half a walk and stuck the other half out on overtime for someone else to complete. If you are a new starter, as far as Royal Mail are concerned you will be FINE not completing / completing late in the first few months. I was told as much in my orientation by HR. They also said not to give into DOM's bullying, that you have the right to cut off and work to your time and how in the beginning, that can't be used as a reason to dismiss you if you have a reasonable stab. Lets hope your DOM isn't a bastard and your meeting tomorrow is a chat about how much you can cope with rather than a dressing down.

Also loosing your PDA, check out how much it costs: :cool

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q ... gws_rd=ssl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also don't worry about making stupid mistakes like this. I did it when I was new, and still do if I do a lot of overtime. Its a consequence of being knackered. Maybe use a holster or put the PDA in a single place everytime, get into a habit. I always have my PDA / P739 / Pen in the same compartment in my pouch so I'm never thinking about where it should be.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by rehabron »

You are the type of person that takes great satisfaction from doing your job well and anything short of this you feel that you are a failure but the way the business is being run at present and management expectations of their staff by piling on additional workloads that are unrealistic to finish in your contracted hours you need to assess your circumstances that you are not alone and the feelings that you are having others are having. If you continue to stick it out you ill find that you will get physically and mentally stronger. Getting yourself worked up with a workload that is unachievable will not do your health any good but if you apply all the procedures that have been negotiated such as cutting off and giving line manger advance warning that you after having done your best to complete that you are returning with undelivered mail that becomes managers problem and what he/she gets paid the big bucks for. Don't be a quitter be a fighter and the more I write this I am beginning to feel like an agony aunt. :Boo hoo! :Boo hoo!
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by greengiant »

As has been said by others, don't stress! You will naturally get quicker as you get used to the job. I remember when I first did a hct on my own after being with the work place coach for a few days, i didn't get finished till nearer 6pm!

You did the right thing informing management that you couldn't complete.

If you aren't in it yet, i would recommend joining the union.

Do stick with the job, don't let one bad day put you off. And don't worry about losing a PDA, you went back to get it.

Good luck and keep us updated on how things go.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by bmccoll »

We've all had days where you get in your van and had a scream, so don't fret about that. I agree with the above posts, join the union if not in already and keep your DOM updated regarding the workload there may be someone to give you a hand until it's cleared. As for losing the PDA, it'll probably get handed in at some point, I can't think who'd use one out of a workplace. We've had a couple in our office misplaced at some time and they have always been returned, so the customer may still have it.
You'll find you may have one shitty week were nothing appears to go right, we've all had them so keep your chin up.
The Postman
Posts: 267
Joined: 10 May 2017, 14:41
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by The Postman »

You need to stop worrying about it. Think about work when your at work, as soon as it hits finish time your done. I'm also new and find the workload unmanageable on really busy days, especially when I'm also hit with 30-40 minutes lapsing on top. Personally I don't have a problem with working after my time as long as I'm being paid for it. You need to make this clear though and if you don't want to work on, follow the cutting off procedure to cover your back then it's up to the manager to complete, not you. I am also in the same situation where I don't want to say 'no' as the 6 months probationary period is always looming.

I think the part time contracts are far too short, 25 hours is nowhere near enough to complete when your new. However, you will get faster at everything. RM also know this and I think it would be very unlikely that they would let you go before your probation is up as they would have to begin the process again with someone else. It costs them quite a bit on employing you not to mention how long it takes to hire someone new. So don't stress about it.

You'll not be the only one in the office bringing stuff back, guaranteed.

P.s. Don't give up.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by woopesh »

I would also say, after 3 months ish, if it doesn't start to get easier quit. Honestly this job isn't for all people.

But in the mean time, if you are struggling, a good DOM should be accommodating you as a new starter. Of course there are some DOM's out there who wouldn't allow their arthritic granny a tea break if it meant she claimed 10 mins overtime but fingers crossed your DOM isn't a tosser.
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by robbertwhitton »

As most have said on here,the job isn't worth worrying about,but easier said than done at times,and a sad reflection on management culture of fear that should be put to bed and challenged at every level by the union,you seem far to conscientious to be in this job and that's what they want,as others have also said,it's a management problem that's what they do supposedly,all be it not very well in my 36 years,I wish you well and my old boss who was a great boss always said keep smiling at all times!!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by datasaint »

MissKazzyB wrote:So I'm back here again. Just to give you an update on my day so far....
Felt pissed off/stressed before I even started :-((
Went in - Tied up - Loaded the barrel
I take it you're referring to a HCT? :hmmmm :shock:
Last edited by datasaint on 30 Jun 2017, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by Clared »

Sorry to hear that :-(
TBH it`s happened to me when I was fairly new. Use to worry I wasn`t doing the job right, I was slow etc. I came from a totally different occupation & I also wondered if it was the job for me. I have been tears too so you aren`t the only one I`m sure plenty of ppl have been in the same boat.
Things will definitely get better, just don`t be too hard on yourself. You can only deliver what you can & work to your time. Best thing to do is tell them before you leave the office that you think you might not complete & leave mail behind I`m sure someone or a manager could take it out.
I don`t think you will be the last person that has lost/left your PDA I once lost mine from my pocket & I had to back track my route & it was at the start & I was half way round my walk !
Over the time I have been at RM I have toughen up, you also need too otherwise it will eat you up. Do you have any close colleague`s you can confine in. I know when I was struggling I could go to that person & she was their to take me under her wing & I still do if I need advice. Chin up tomorrow will be better I am sure.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Ended up in tears today cos I'm stressing :-((((

Post by yellowbelly »

Kazzy, stick with it, it honestly does get easier, I'm only two years in and I remember having one particularly horrendous day when
I started, partly me being a newbie but managers put too much on to me and it was way past being dark when I got back to the
office.

Even now I'll put a bundle in the wrong place in a bag or trolley, forget a packet till I'm about 5 doors past, forget to
do my redirections (especially when they've dwindled down to a handful) until I've started
bundling up and I get a nagging in the back of my mind saying 'You've forgotten something....what is it......lightbulb moment'
and think to myself 'You flipping numpty!' but over time these sort of things happen less and less as you gain experience.

You are already showing your mettle by telling DOM/rep at the beginning of shift that you don't think you'll be able to complete.
I've seen posties with years and years of experience who don't feel able to stand up to management in this way.

Keep going. It will get better. There are plenty of good days too when the sun is shining, customers smile and say 'Thanks Postie!',
you make the little old lady's day by saying hello because you're probably the only human interaction
she'll have today, you get offered a glass of squash, a Christmas card (bonus with a fiver in it) and a mince pie, the kids
(not the annoying ones) say 'Thanks Postman Pat!' as you hand the letters over to them.

Stick with it!!! You're not alone - especially on these boards - don't be afraid to ask questions/vent your frustrations
on here, there's loads of fantastic postie posters on here.