ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Old v young

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
notts1862
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 132
Joined: 07 Feb 2013, 08:39
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by notts1862 »

Has packets have dropped I've transferred temporary to deliverys. I'm over 50 years of age and bloody hell it's hard work. Even harder when you got a young lad with you in a van share.
To all you young ones stop rushing around and give us oldies a chance.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

Old v young

Post by woking »

notts1862 wrote:Has packets have dropped I've transferred temporary to deliverys. I'm over 50 years of age and bloody hell it's hard work. Even harder when you got a young lad with you in a van share.
To all you young ones stop rushing around and give us oldies a chance.
I'm right with you on this one.my van share partner is 20 years younger & fairly new to the job,I keep asking him to slow down but I'm sure they think it's a game,first one back to the van wins
Ozzvaldo
Posts: 476
Joined: 15 Jul 2012, 20:35
Gender: Female

Old v young

Post by Ozzvaldo »

We have a 63 year old partnering a 22 year old in my office :shock:
Brandy
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 729
Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
Gender: Female

Old v young

Post by Brandy »

notts1862 wrote:Has packets have dropped I've transferred temporary to deliverys. I'm over 50 years of age and bloody hell it's hard work. Even harder when you got a young lad with you in a van share.
To all you young ones stop rushing around and give us oldies a chance.
The trouble is RM dont accept the age issue and just expect everyone to be the same speed which is fast.What a load of crap that is!! I wonder how many of them that say this could keep up with good atheletes? Not many if any.Everyone is different whether young or old ,and its about time they realised this!!!! :no no
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Old v young

Post by nickbsmooth »

I'm 42 and work with 24yr old ,I find it tough, doesn't help he's a fitness freak. That said he does fly round clearing the large and doing the boxes. So I at least know all that energy isn't wasted.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by rubberbond »

Their whole reasoning on van share,was that the slowest person would catch up with the quickest ,therefore evening things out, however when these idiots woke up and realised that the chain is only as strong as its weakest (slowest) link, therefore resulting in cut offs ,they didn't know what to do. Still don't.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by daveyeff »

I'm 58, my drivers rest day cover is 27. he knows I have had 2 knee replacements and I don't have a hope in hell in keeping up, nor would I even try. you go at your own comfortable pace and not what is dictated. he finishes his loops before me then goes off to do packets. it works.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Old v young

Post by NewPostieUK »

daveyeff wrote:I'm 58, my drivers rest day cover is 27. he knows I have had 2 knee replacements and I don't have a hope in hell in keeping up, nor would I even try. you go at your own comfortable pace and not what is dictated. he finishes his loops before me then goes off to do packets. it works.
Similar situation to me but he sits in the van playing with his phonepod thing.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by walkthewalk »

What is the unions stance on this age situation?
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by Seymour Buts »

walkthewalk wrote:What is the unions stance on this age situation?
Realistically, what do you expect them to do? Age isn't always a factor anyway. I'm in my early 20's and there's blokes 30 years older than me at my place who are just as quick, more so in some cases.
Bernardson
Posts: 320
Joined: 11 Dec 2007, 23:22

Old v young

Post by Bernardson »

The old book of postal instructions says " those over 55 should be given assistance even if they don't ask for it"!. try this one on the DIM :pray
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by woopesh »

In a few years, this post will be titled, young v machines, the old laid to waste by 6 hour plus deliveries. When it is finally just machines, RM will finally get a workforce that delivers for nought, that never complains, that don't go off sick with pay.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3345
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by Mr Rush »

Bionic implants will be necessary to even get close to retirement age. Alas, RM would rather give Moya six million dollars than spend it rebuilding its employees :cuppa
The machine stops.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Old v young

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Machines have their drawbacks - this one seems confounded by the lack of letterbox

Image

This one has just been told its double lapsing Tuesday
Image

Of course its not just Posties who are under threat. Lineos and Doms may be replace by our favourite Android.
Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

Old v young

Post by saddlerposty »

doh when I saw the topic I thought it was a link to certain kind of website :wink: