ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
How long before it gets easier :-((((
-
MissKazzyB
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
- Gender: Female
How long before it gets easier :-((((
This is my 4th week in & I'm finding really hard on my feet still. Not as bad as when I first started but still painful. I've got light trainers on & gel inner soles :-(((
Also I'm feeling absolutely physically exhausted. I'm feeling sooo tired & drained all the time. All I wanna do is rest & sleep but I'm a single parent with a 6 year old so no chance of taking it easy.
I'm leaving my washing up until the next day. My housework has gone to pot as just no energy. I'm wasting money on takeaways because I'm too tired to cook :-(((
I know we're all different & it will take time but I thought by now I wouldn't feel so tired!!!
Today I told the floor manager that I wouldn't be able to complete & im cutting off at my finish time so he took afew bundles off my round. It helped !!! However he kept saying how this is the time of year when it's quite light so I said I know that but I'm not as fast as all the others that have been there years & hopefully by the time it gets busier I will be a lot faster. Well I bloody hope so otherwise I'll never be able to complete my round :-((
I'm not rushing around like I have been to try & get it finished because it's taking it out of me.
I like the job itself, can be abit lonely but I take my headphones with me. Just need to get some more music because it gets boring lol However I'm fed up of moaning that I'm tired & my feet hurt!!
It does get easier, doesn't it ???
Also I'm feeling absolutely physically exhausted. I'm feeling sooo tired & drained all the time. All I wanna do is rest & sleep but I'm a single parent with a 6 year old so no chance of taking it easy.
I'm leaving my washing up until the next day. My housework has gone to pot as just no energy. I'm wasting money on takeaways because I'm too tired to cook :-(((
I know we're all different & it will take time but I thought by now I wouldn't feel so tired!!!
Today I told the floor manager that I wouldn't be able to complete & im cutting off at my finish time so he took afew bundles off my round. It helped !!! However he kept saying how this is the time of year when it's quite light so I said I know that but I'm not as fast as all the others that have been there years & hopefully by the time it gets busier I will be a lot faster. Well I bloody hope so otherwise I'll never be able to complete my round :-((
I'm not rushing around like I have been to try & get it finished because it's taking it out of me.
I like the job itself, can be abit lonely but I take my headphones with me. Just need to get some more music because it gets boring lol However I'm fed up of moaning that I'm tired & my feet hurt!!
It does get easier, doesn't it ???
Last edited by MissKazzyB on 28 Jun 2017, 15:48, edited 2 times in total.
-
terry2972
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
Yes it does get easier but the workload isn't going down at the moment if anything it's getting busier
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
You will get quicker over time which will reduce your current stress levels... but don't expect the job to ever actually feel any physically easier, the aches and pains and general exhaustion you've got now are here for the duration I'm afraid!
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
How long before it gets easier :-((((
Been there 15 years and I still have to crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees when I get home but you kinda get used to that.
Management are bullshitting you saying this is the easy time of year, there isn't really and easy time of year anymore.
If you really are struggling, apply for a management job with RM. No experience needed, if anything they seem to prefer people who have little or no experience. You won't win any friends and the mental stress apparently is quite hard going. But you do get to spend the day drinking coffee with your feet up!
Management are bullshitting you saying this is the easy time of year, there isn't really and easy time of year anymore.
If you really are struggling, apply for a management job with RM. No experience needed, if anything they seem to prefer people who have little or no experience. You won't win any friends and the mental stress apparently is quite hard going. But you do get to spend the day drinking coffee with your feet up!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Darwinsdad
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
As has been mentioned, you will get quicker, but it won't physically get easier. This may sound daft but it works for me - If you have a slow cooker and freezer space, batch cook chilli/stew/curry/bolognese etc on the night before your day off. Depending on the size of your slow cooker and serving size, you could get up to 10 servings, then it's just a case of half hour prep/cooking and reheating. With the housework, one room per day and get your little one to help - don't do any on your day off.
-
Brandy
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 729
- Joined: 12 Sep 2011, 21:03
- Gender: Female
How long before it gets easier :-((((
I am sorry to say it wont get any easier,you just get used to being knackered all the time.Judgee wrote:Been there 15 years and I still have to crawl up the stairs on my hands and knees when I get home but you kinda get used to that.
Management are bullshitting you saying this is the easy time of year, there isn't really and easy time of year anymore.
If you really are struggling, apply for a management job with RM. No experience needed, if anything they seem to prefer people who have little or no experience. You won't win any friends and the mental stress apparently is quite hard going. But you do get to spend the day drinking coffee with your feet up!
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
How long before it gets easier :-((((
I find it varies for some reason, one week is bloody awful, full of aches and pains, but another week I can skip round the duty.
About six weeks ago decided I wanted to loose some weight for summer, so came home and immediately ran 3 miles on the treadmill EVERYDAY and thought nothing of it.
Now it's as much as can do to walk past the treadmill
And no, I didn't loose any weight, stupid idea anyway
About six weeks ago decided I wanted to loose some weight for summer, so came home and immediately ran 3 miles on the treadmill EVERYDAY and thought nothing of it.
Now it's as much as can do to walk past the treadmill
And no, I didn't loose any weight, stupid idea anyway
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
Eat more slow releasing carbohydrates, like porridge in the morning, bananas for break, maybe a protein shake. Have a regular bed-time, sleep a minimum of 7 hours. Take your day off.
As for headphones, I think you either enjoy walking around or you don't. Personally I think headphones are a risk to your H&S, and send the wrong message to customers like you don't care.
As for headphones, I think you either enjoy walking around or you don't. Personally I think headphones are a risk to your H&S, and send the wrong message to customers like you don't care.
-
Decky Boy
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 22 May 2009, 10:00
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
Just work away as efficiently as you can (without running) or cutting corners and ensure your mail bag is not too heavy.
Being organised before you leave the office also helps. Know where your loops are and how your walk is sequenced. Work with bundles that are of a manageable size and more importantly get a system in place for your keys/used elastic bands/P739cards/Dog Peg/pen etc etc ie each should have there own place/pocket etc.
If on a trolly job ensure your bundles for each loop are numbered sequentially and any packets are alongside. Your pace will improve week on week... but it is likely you will continue to feel knackered on a daily basis
Good diet and hydration is important and though many on here knock Royal Mail Footwear it will likely be better than what you currently are using ... and should be issued to you shortly
Stick in.... and Good Luck 
Being organised before you leave the office also helps. Know where your loops are and how your walk is sequenced. Work with bundles that are of a manageable size and more importantly get a system in place for your keys/used elastic bands/P739cards/Dog Peg/pen etc etc ie each should have there own place/pocket etc.
If on a trolly job ensure your bundles for each loop are numbered sequentially and any packets are alongside. Your pace will improve week on week... but it is likely you will continue to feel knackered on a daily basis
Good diet and hydration is important and though many on here knock Royal Mail Footwear it will likely be better than what you currently are using ... and should be issued to you shortly
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
Different opinions here: I find it does get easier to be honest. I struggled like hell for the first month, rather like yourself. After that I noticed to my speed getting better, particularly prepping. It took my about 3 months to fully get up to speed with that but once you do it boosts your confidence and I found everything else easier. Most things are in the mind, after all. Nowadays I do 6 days a week and between 3 - 5 afternoons every week. I am tired by Friday to be honest, I just grab a coffee though and push through and come Saturday I find I'm on a bit of a buzz to get finished for the weekend.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
FYI, wear headphones if you like but it is a risky business. I dropped a parcel once, obviously I'd have heard it fall to the ground if I hadn't been wearing earphones but was oblivious to what I'd done. Somebody walking up the street found it and was obviously the honest type because they took it to the address it was meant to go to. They (rightly imo) reported me though and i got my arse kicked the following day. Lesson learnt.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
There is a three month hump to get over but it does get easier as you adapt. Your fitness catches up with the job, your delivery / bundling speed increases making things easier again, you discover the right footwear, you figure out how to eat / how much to eat / when to eat etc. Eating takeaways all the time, unless salads / lean meats / complex carbs will ultimately make you feel worse so take care to eat well. I take fruit out on my walk and eat an apple etc. every hour. It helps alot. Some posties make do with roll ups and caffeine. Figure out what works for you.
However, even after the hump, you will feel tired as you are using your body everyday, there is no getting away from it, although you won't crash out like in the beginning.
Also, try and get more supportive shoes? I find hiking shoes to be the best as they are designed for walking in for hours at a time.
However, even after the hump, you will feel tired as you are using your body everyday, there is no getting away from it, although you won't crash out like in the beginning.
Also, try and get more supportive shoes? I find hiking shoes to be the best as they are designed for walking in for hours at a time.
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
How long before it gets easier :-((((
And then just as you get up to speed and a few years after your body starts giving up knees ankles back hips even elbows and then the mind starts going all this before you are middle aged what a great job for destroying your life!woopesh wrote:There is a three month hump to get over but it does get easier as you adapt. Your fitness catches up with the job, your delivery / bundling speed increases making things easier again, you discover the right footwear, you figure out how to eat / how much to eat / when to eat etc. Eating takeaways all the time, unless salads / lean meats / complex carbs will ultimately make you feel worse so take care to eat well. I take fruit out on my walk and eat an apple etc. every hour. It helps alot. Some posties make do with roll ups and caffeine. Figure out what works for you.
However, even after the hump, you will feel tired as you are using your body everyday, there is no getting away from it, although you won't crash out like in the beginning.
Also, try and get more supportive shoes? I find hiking shoes to be the best as they are designed for walking in for hours at a time.
-
woopesh
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 230
- Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
In the beginning, I was baffled by a lot of office banter, after a couple of years it started making sense. I suppose my mind has gone already. haha.k979aaa wrote:And then just as you get up to speed and a few years after your body starts giving up knees ankles back hips even elbows and then the mind starts going all this before you are middle aged what a great job for destroying your life!woopesh wrote:There is a three month hump to get over but it does get easier as you adapt. Your fitness catches up with the job, your delivery / bundling speed increases making things easier again, you discover the right footwear, you figure out how to eat / how much to eat / when to eat etc. Eating takeaways all the time, unless salads / lean meats / complex carbs will ultimately make you feel worse so take care to eat well. I take fruit out on my walk and eat an apple etc. every hour. It helps alot. Some posties make do with roll ups and caffeine. Figure out what works for you.
However, even after the hump, you will feel tired as you are using your body everyday, there is no getting away from it, although you won't crash out like in the beginning.
Also, try and get more supportive shoes? I find hiking shoes to be the best as they are designed for walking in for hours at a time.
-
answer=42
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
- Gender: Male
How long before it gets easier :-((((
6 weeks.
By the way, don't wear headphones, it's a contravention of health and safety rules, a sackable offense (if your face don't fit).
Dont' give them an excuse, do stuff the way you are supposed to and you'll be ok.
It WILL get easier, but as it gets easier you'll do more and you'll still be knackered.but recovery will be quicker..................................
By the way, don't wear headphones, it's a contravention of health and safety rules, a sackable offense (if your face don't fit).
Dont' give them an excuse, do stuff the way you are supposed to and you'll be ok.
It WILL get easier, but as it gets easier you'll do more and you'll still be knackered.but recovery will be quicker..................................