ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Getting a walk
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Getting a walk
Still a relative newbie (2 years service) and was just wondering how long it took others to get a regular duty? Or if they bothered? There's people in my office who have been there 5 plus years that didn't want to sign for a walk coz there was only crap ones left to sign for.
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
Getting a walk
Roughly 10 years gets you one of the last remaining 1/2 decent walks in my place,
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Getting a walk
Ten years in and still a reserve
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
Getting a walk
ye im 13 years in,,,we had the park an loop revision a few years back and because a couple of the long serving lads wouldn't pick (wanted spare to cover long term sick good duties) I managed to scrape in on a float....not ideal but got used to it.
took me a couple of years and now got on my own walk,,large but so what its mine now.
took me a couple of years and now got on my own walk,,large but so what its mine now.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Getting a walk
As little as several months if it's a walk so unpopular with everyone else. 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Getting a walk
Less than a year and it was FT, but it's still the least liked duty in the office. That's the risk, stay a reserve and get good duties occasionally but be messed around, or take a bad duty but have the relative stability of knowing what you will be doing on a daily basis.postietom wrote:Still a relative newbie (2 years service) and was just wondering how long it took others to get a regular duty? Or if they bothered? There's people in my office who have been there 5 plus years that didn't want to sign for a walk coz there was only crap ones left to sign for.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Getting a walk
TBT,
Precisely the same for me, finishing maybe an hour later than everyone else mattered little but having the stability of knowing what I would be doing on a daily basis has counted for a lot all these years.
Precisely the same for me, finishing maybe an hour later than everyone else mattered little but having the stability of knowing what I would be doing on a daily basis has counted for a lot all these years.
-
Gangham_style14
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
- Gender: Male
Getting a walk
Our office is so understaffed, the recent Xmas temps all landed on their feet with a duty either shared or on their own. (Within 3months) so depends on the office.
-
Seymour Buts
- Posts: 1148
- Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Getting a walk
I was on a cover group but due to our rota system it was a pain. It meant I was basically spare Wednesday and Thursday so was chucked anywhere on the busiest days. Nightmare prepping and stuff on mega busy days on a fitting you've never done. I came off that and quite enjoy being reserve now as generally I'm on the same duty for 6 days straight.
Reckon I could get a walk as there's a few coming up with people retiring, leaving and just moving around. Still unsure what to do to be honest.
Reckon I could get a walk as there's a few coming up with people retiring, leaving and just moving around. Still unsure what to do to be honest.
-
P739
- Posts: 277
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48
Getting a walk
15 years and still no Duty fecking joke

-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Getting a walk
I've never known anyone wait fifteen years - except those holding out for the very best duties.
-
CaptainUppercut
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 17:48
- Gender: Male
Getting a walk
I've been in just shy of two years and just in the last week got a floating duty. Not actually signed for it yet, but was the only person to put my name in for it and got it. One of the duties on it is a f***ing stinker. But... finishing time is finishing time and that's all there is to it.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Getting a walk
Our office had a revision last year and i got a duty after only being in the job 2 years
. Because its a fairly big office people moved walks in stages. But after the first few moved they decided to scrap it so im still a reserve now

-
P739
- Posts: 277
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48
Getting a walk
I Kid not Sir 15 YEARS and countingLounge Lizard wrote:I've never known anyone wait fifteen years - except those holding out for the very best duties.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Getting a walk
P739,
Sorry to hear that.
I realise I was lucky even though nobody else, including those with many many years seniority, wanted it.
Sorry to hear that.
I realise I was lucky even though nobody else, including those with many many years seniority, wanted it.