ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lilly J
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:29
Gender: Female

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by Lilly J »

Well I'm 2 months in today and I'm picking up the speed I think! I've been doing a HCT round for the last couple of weeks which is pretty tiring. I managed to complete in 3.5 hrs today in 30C heat. But, in light of the extreme heat we are getting at the mo, I wanted to know how does everyone stay cool when out on delivery? I'm debating whether it's cooler to wear the blue shirt or the red polo shirts. Which copes best in the heat? And why do the shorts have to be made in such thick material?! Is there any way I can make them slightly thinner by washing them a hundred times??! And lastly, does it make you hotter if you wear a hat and which type seem to work for you? Thanks for the advice.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by DB1100 »

I wear the blue shirt and a pair of my own blue shorts,they are very similar to RM's rubbish and I have never been told not to wear them,I wear a RM baseball cap and seem to be fine,also remember you DO NOT have to wear a hi viz vest on a walking duty,you only need to wear one in the yard or if you are a driver working near the vehicle or if there are visibility problems,there is nothing in any of RM's regs about having to wear one whilst delivering mail,other than what I have pointed out above.
For we were soldiers once,and young
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by doorstepped »

blue shirts are cooler ( to look at and to wear to cool down )
shorts are stupid, get yourself some cotton lightweight ones from ebay.

hat wise, best to keep the sun off of your head, Cap in my own personal choice, but wide brimmed hat just as good and covers your neck as well.
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by deltaforce »

Wide brim hat, long sleeve blue shirt and any exposed flesh cover up with factor 50. Exposure to the sun day in day out will cause long term damage and increase your chances getting skin cancer.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by woody38 »

Best ways I find to keep cool, baggy blue shirt, nothing to tight, thin cotton shorts not rm shorts to long, thick material, try to buy shorts that are quite high up, not to long, the higher up they are the cooler I feel,, I tend not to wear a hat, the hotter my head gets the hotter the rest of my body gets. U may need sun cream. I get a large plastic water bottle, top it up with water the night before, freeze it, when u need to use it the next day you have cold water all day, plenty of fluids keep u cool.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by centenaryman »

I think im 1 of the only idiots to put a hem ....ok sorry....to get the mrs to put a hem on the shorts.

to bring em to knee length....as they stood down past me knees LOL bit to long in my book.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by wacko74 »

woody38 wrote:Best ways I find to keep cool, baggy blue shirt, nothing to tight, thin cotton shorts not rm shorts to long, thick material, try to buy shorts that are quite high up, not to long, the higher up they are the cooler I feel,, I tend not to wear a hat, the hotter my head gets the hotter the rest of my body gets. U may need sun cream. I get an old large plastic water bottle, top it up with water the night before, freeze it, when u need to use it the next day you have cold water all day, plenty of fluids keep u cool.

I wouldn't wear shorts that are excessively 'high up'... one of the lads in my previous office was still getting ribbed for the ''paedo shorts'' that he once wore about 10 years ago!
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by Justanotherstar »

Invest in those water spray cans...worked with someone who had one the other day, it was like heaven!
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by Darwinsdad »

My preferences for what they are worth - Long sleeve blue shirt, grey walking shorts (I stocked up at Go outdoors when it was 2 pairs for a tenner), wide brimmed walking hat (again Go Outdoors, has a piece of foam in the top to keep material off your head creating airflow). Plus, I change my socks and talc my feet halfway round (seems to re-energise them but might be psychological). Also, I have one of them Buff bandana scarfs you can wear a million different ways. Wear it as a neckerchief after soaking in cold water before every bag (it gets wrung out prior to wearing). Plenty of fluids and factor 30 on any exposed bits, even the back of the hands!!!
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by woopesh »

Take a break in an air conditioned shop of some sort. Its amazing what a cold drink and 10 mins in chilled comfort can do. A boots or sainsburys are fine if you can't find a buttfucks. Just have the cold drink / ice cream or whatnot inside.
landohairspray
Posts: 8
Joined: 10 Feb 2016, 17:54
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by landohairspray »

There's a bloke at our office who does his delivery with no shirt on! I do keep wondering what the RM rules and regs are with this, but managers never say anything to him.
DocketLefty
Posts: 112
Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by DocketLefty »

Roll your sleeves up, roll your shorts up.... show some chest & wear a hat. Also put 2 litres of water in the freezer the night before.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by Interested-seeker »

I hate both shirts. The blue one is too baggy on me and the red polo shirt is too thick! RM need nice light cotton t-shirts.

I also hate the shorts, they are too thick and heavy! I wear my own now.
*horcrux*
Posts: 78
Joined: 22 May 2017, 13:31
Gender: Male

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by *horcrux* »

woopesh wrote: A boots or sainsburys are fine if you can't find a buttfucks.
If you can't find a what?
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

How to keep cool - RM uniform

Post by doorstepped »

Daisy dukes are the best to wear, although I got told to not wear them again as my bollocks hung out of the gusset. ;)