ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
-
woking
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
- Gender: Male
- Location: wokingham
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
for the past few months I dread my days off as I know that management will be ringing asking me to come into work.we've had a lot go sick at our office & they are very short on cover so occasionally I do go in & help them out but lately it's been getting beyond a joke & I'm seriously thinking about changing my phone number just so I can enjoy my time off & not have the worry that they will be calling.thay have now started calling from private numbers so I don't know who's calling. i keep saying I don't want or need the overtime but they don't listen.what can I do?
-
the beautiful bd south
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 336
- Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 20:48
- Location: west riding of yorkshire
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
Politely request they no longer phone you.
If they continue take it from there.
If they continue take it from there.
TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG
-
noggin1969
- Posts: 1321
- Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
Block the number 
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
What you can do is draft a letter to the manager advising them that you would prefer not to receive phone calls at your home on your day off and if they require you to come to work if they are short staffed then they give you the opportunity to accept or reject their overtime request in your working hours instead of the continual nuisance phone calls you are receiving at home. Remember to keep a copy of your letter which you can produce if need be should they continue to phone you at home.woking wrote:for the past few months I dread my days off as I know that management will be ringing asking me to come into work.we've had a lot go sick at our office & they are very short on cover so occasionally I do go in & help them out but lately it's been getting beyond a joke & I'm seriously thinking about changing my phone number just so I can enjoy my time off & not have the worry that they will be calling.thay have now started calling from private numbers so I don't know who's calling. i keep saying I don't want or need the overtime but they don't listen.what can I do?
-
centenaryman
- Posts: 512
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
noggin1969 wrote:Block the number
he says the ringing from private numbers so he cant see the callers number.
work rang me once on my day off....was a Saturday morning about 645am.....I made sure there and then they never ring on my day off LOL
I`d be upfront and honest with them telling them that unless your sick you don't want phone calls on your day off.
im lucky that I don't do overtime so really now no need to phone me.
work have my home number....I wont let them have my mobile number LOL lad I work with gets calls from them while were out...not me lol
-
koolishy67
- Posts: 665
- Joined: 04 Nov 2010, 21:02
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
Switch of the phone
-
Destiny
- Posts: 200
- Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
- Gender: Male
- Location: North
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
If you wanna make a stand put an H1 in for harassment.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
The first question that would be asked from the interviewer would be along the lines of did you make it known to your manager that you did not want to be disturbed by phone calls on your day off. If unable to provide proof that you have given management pre-warning of not wishing phone calls to come to work on your day off then in my opinion the complaint of harassment would not stand. Having written to them and expressed a wish not to be telephoned at home and this continues then you complete the H1 form and attach a copy of your letter.Destiny wrote:If you wanna make a stand put an H1 in for harassment.
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
tell them to f**k off and stop ringing you or change your number . there is a life other than dragging them out the s**t , lol
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
Day before your rest day I'd make a point of mentioning you are looking forward to visiting relatives, the zoo, do the weekly shop etc and you won't be available, oh and please don't call me I won't be able to help.
But I would also do as Rehabron suggests, hit it from both ends.
But I would also do as Rehabron suggests, hit it from both ends.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
Get your partner to answer the phone or just don't answer private numbers
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4195
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
Once you agree to doing any sort of overtime at Royal Mail be aware that the managers will always come and ask you when they are stuck, and that happens a lot. I can understand why some new posties agree to 'docket' in an effort to impress the bosses and so that they won't get picked on; but Ive seen many guys who just say NO and they just get treated the same regardless.
Probably because some people find it very difficult to agree to doing overtime every single day, even when they need the money.
Probably because some people find it very difficult to agree to doing overtime every single day, even when they need the money.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
woking
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
- Gender: Male
- Location: wokingham
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
when the dom called me yesterday when I was out on delivery I said no to overtime for today as I had an appointment to attend today,later yesterday afternoon when I'd finished work & at home a lino called me asking me to do overtime today & I said to him I had an appointment,this morning same lino calls me again asking me to work,they just don't listen when I say no.as for turning my phone off that's not & option & my partner is at work so I'm the only one here to answer the phone.as a rule I never answer private calls but today was one of them days when I was expecting the doctor to call so that's why I answered it.big mistakeTrueBlueTerrier wrote:Day before your rest day I'd make a point of mentioning you are looking forward to visiting relatives, the zoo, do the weekly shop etc and you won't be available, oh and please don't call me I won't be able to help.
But I would also do as Rehabron suggests, hit it from both ends.
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
I find it hard to imagine why people can't say NO and just put the phone down
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
management phoning me on my days off to come into work
youre not "on call" on your day off. Id suggest on your day off for the morning putting your phone on silent or disconnecting the phone or just letting it ring out. Do this for a few weeks, and the managers will probably give up phoning you as you dont answer. The more you answer the call the more reason they see to call you up. Any private number calling on your day off is clearly work so dont answer.woking wrote:for the past few months I dread my days off as I know that management will be ringing asking me to come into work.we've had a lot go sick at our office & they are very short on cover so occasionally I do go in & help them out but lately it's been getting beyond a joke & I'm seriously thinking about changing my phone number just so I can enjoy my time off & not have the worry that they will be calling.thay have now started calling from private numbers so I don't know who's calling. i keep saying I don't want or need the overtime but they don't listen.what can I do?