ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
We are having a revision next week, i'm on a 25hr contract and was told by the union rep I would jump to 28hrs and get my own duty only to find out at the last minute I will probably now miss out on that 3hr rise as the manager doesn't want to give me it. The thing is there has been a job vacancy on success factors for 27hrs last week and when I pulled up the manager about it I was told there was nothing they could do. I had an idea to actually apply for that vacancy via HR but the job was taken down (presumed taken). So now Im probably not going to get a rise in hours and there will be a new starter arriving in a few weeks on 2hrs more than me which a bit of a kick in the teeth. What rubs salt in the wounds is that a nearby office was advertising a 31hr contract and I was going to go for it until I was told I would be getting 28hrs and because I know all the walks and do a few hours OT at my office I decided not to go for it......big regret!!
Why the hell arn't these hours advertised internally to give existing staff a chance to increase hours?
Why the hell arn't these hours advertised internally to give existing staff a chance to increase hours?
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
Any vacancy needs to be put up for picking to everyone in the office before being resourced outside. Suggest you get a rep/area rep involved.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
I told the rep this 3 days ago, the advert has been taken down now as of the 26th (yesterday). I wont find out til next week if I will get these 3hrs increase as the manager is finalising the revision as it needs to be in place a week on Monday. The way its looking as the cut off point could be me and the person next senior to me will get the increase. Is there anything I can still do if I dont get the increase and that job already being taken down yesterday?norm wrote:Any vacancy needs to be put up for picking to everyone in the office before being resourced outside. Suggest you get a rep/area rep involved.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
File a grievance if you have to. Proper procedure was not followed, jobs are allocated by office and seniority.
Ask your rep what his position would be if a FT vacancy was advertised and went to a new recruit, it's pretty simple.
Ask your rep what his position would be if a FT vacancy was advertised and went to a new recruit, it's pretty simple.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
True. Would I file this against my manager (it wasn't her that advertised it but she was aware that I know about the vacancy if she chooses to keep me on 25hrs ) or against RM?norm wrote:File a grievance if you have to. Proper procedure was not followed, jobs are allocated by office and seniority.
Ask your rep what his position would be if a FT vacancy was advertised and went to a new recruit, it's pretty simple.
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
If you're on a 25 hour contract you should get it bumped up to 28 anyway if you had a half decent rep. Impossible to have your break covered within contract
-
ScousePostie
- Posts: 273
- Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
I started on 25 hour contract and was put on a 30 hour contract after 12 months, which I was more than happy with.
There are some that have started recently in our office that are on 20 hours Wednesday-Saturday.
There are some that have started recently in our office that are on 20 hours Wednesday-Saturday.
-
Dexydog
- Posts: 887
- Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
maybe RM are actually having trouble recruiting people on these low hour contracts so keep those already on one without extending their hours and then try and entice new entrants with a slightly higher contract to get them in.
-
notgoodanymore
- Posts: 16
- Joined: 13 Dec 2016, 11:55
- Gender: Female
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
Any more news on this?Dexydog wrote:Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
-
Dexydog
- Posts: 887
- Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
We apparently have another 3 starters shortly.notgoodanymore wrote:Any more news on this?Dexydog wrote:Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
I mentioned the last issue to DOM and he said will bear it in mind.
If anyone else starts on more than 25 hours a grievance will be going in.
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
Dexydog wrote:We apparently have another 3 starters shortly.notgoodanymore wrote:Any more news on this?Dexydog wrote:Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
I mentioned the last issue to DOM and he said will bear it in mind.
If anyone else starts on more than 25 hours a grievance will be going in.
Not sure if a grievance would help? I thought these forms were more to do with bullying or if a manager said something to you?? Maybe just go above your manager and DSM and contact Sheffield, Pond St HR etc?
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
Bullying is a bullying form
Grievance is when management are not following procedure
Grievance is when management are not following procedure
-
Destiny
- Posts: 200
- Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
- Gender: Male
- Location: North
New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?
Seriously if your Rep cannot deal with this then he shouldn't be in the role.
Can all be dealt with in 10 mins!
Can all be dealt with in 10 mins!