ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Redirection question

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by ScousePostie »

Hi,

Before I start I want to say that I've asked DOM, assistant managers, work place coaches, colleagues, the lot and I still haven't got a definite answer to this question.

I have a redirection for an address. The redirection states 'entire family move'. There's a letter addressed to Mr Jones*, but the redirection only states one name, a Mrs Jones. Even if the redirection states 'entire family move' do we ONLY redirect the names that appear on the redirection?

Although colleagues at the office could give me an answer to the question, it wasn't definitive. I have made an action on the letter in question, I did as DOM told me to do. But still interested to see what people here think.

*I have changed the name, for obvious reasons.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Redirection question

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I have one new redirection that states redirect all irrespective of first names. If yours did I would redirect.

If it didn't but says entire family move and the last name matches I would re-direct

If it isn't an entire family move then I wouldn't.

Is there something more definitive - No, there are far too many permutations to be able to list them all even in a training document. If in doubt always ask a manager, which is what you did.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by ted_e_bear »

Not an answer to your question but I've recently had the same issue, redirection said entire family move but in my case it was only for 'mr jones' I didn't redirect 'mrs jones' mail (doing it by the book) even though the house was obviously empty, is the house on your delivery empty or is it possible that they've split up and only the Mrs has moved out ?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by yellowbelly »

If you look at the re-direction application form there is a box which says:

'Is your whole household included in this move'

Form goes on to say:

If you tick ‘yes’ to the ‘whole household move’ question, we will redirect the mail of all persons at
your old address who have the same last name as you. This may help to ensure a person’s mail is
still redirected where their first name has been misspelt or cannot be read........'

So for the OP this means you should redirect for Mr Jones, Mrs Jones, Miss Jones, Master Jones, Dog Jones, Cat Jones etc.

Form goes on to say the box should not be ticked if not everyone wants mail redirecting.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4110
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by ted_e_bear »

yellowbelly wrote:If you look at the re-direction application form there is a box which says:

'Is your whole household included in this move'

Form goes on to say:

If you tick ‘yes’ to the ‘whole household move’ question, we will redirect the mail of all persons at
your old address who have the same last name as you. This may help to ensure a person’s mail is
still redirected where their first name has been misspelt or cannot be read........'

So for the OP this means you should redirect for Mr Jones, Mrs Jones, Miss Jones, Master Jones, Dog Jones, Cat Jones etc.

Form goes on to say the box should not be ticked if not everyone wants mail redirecting.
That should clear it up then, looks like I did it wrong even though I thought I was doing it right by not redirecting different first name/gender, I stand corrected and hope this helps others as well as me when it crops up again.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Redirection question

Post by clashcityrocker »

I disagree. If Mrs Jones is supposed to have her mail redirected she should be on the list of names.

The form also states:
All we need is:
the names and dates of birth of everybody who needs their mail redirected.

If Mr and Mrs Jones have separated I doubt she would be happy having her mail redirected to her ex.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
*horcrux*
Posts: 78
Joined: 22 May 2017, 13:31
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by *horcrux* »

But then there should be a note on the redirection card saying not an entire family move.

Another scenario regarding redirections; What would happen if the people who moved in next had the same last name as the previous occupants? Mail could get redirected that wasn't meant to.
Chitchat
Posts: 366
Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by Chitchat »

The redirection states, redirect all variations of first name if its a whole family move. If its not a whole family move then its more important to list all names that need to be redirected.
Chitchat
Posts: 366
Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by Chitchat »

*horcrux* wrote:But then there should be a note on the redirection card saying not an entire family move.

Another scenario regarding redirections; What would happen if the people who moved in next had the same last name as the previous occupants? Mail could get redirected that wasn't meant to.
I always wondered about what would happen in this scenario,
yellowbelly
Posts: 3727
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by yellowbelly »

clashcityrocker wrote:I disagree. If Mrs Jones is supposed to have her mail redirected she should be on the list of names.

The form also states:
All we need is:
the names and dates of birth of everybody who needs their mail redirected.

If Mr and Mrs Jones have separated I doubt she would be happy having her mail redirected to her ex.
Yes - so they don't mark a cross in the box then and fill in the names of who does want mail redirecting, that was the last sentence
of the quote I made from the form. If I recall rightly the redirection form will have a header that says something like 'Take care not an entire family move'
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by eastie »

Once I had a redirection for a surname of Smith and the new people at the address were also called Smith
Caused no end of problems
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Redirection question

Post by salomon2 »

I've had the same issue with redirections, I only redirect the name written. The guy that covers my round redirected the whole family and we got a customer complaint for redirecting the ex husbands mail!!!
Chitchat
Posts: 366
Joined: 30 Jan 2013, 15:18
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by Chitchat »

salomon2 wrote:I've had the same issue with redirections, I only redirect the name written. The guy that covers my round redirected the whole family and we got a customer complaint for redirecting the ex husbands mail!!!
If your redirection states whole family move. Then the reserve is correct in redirecting all the mail for that surename. And the customer is wrong to complain in this case rm should ammend the redirection to not an whole family move. As not everyone is moving to said address in that family.
answer=42
Posts: 64
Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by answer=42 »

Holy Crap! I've been doing it wrong for ages! I was told you only redirect for names that are on the redirection instruction (so if the name on the redirection said David Brown and Susan Brown and it said whole family move but the mail was for John Brown I wouldn't redirect it. That's wrong. If it says whole family move anyone with the surname Brown gets redirected. It's only when it's not a whole family move the Christian name comes into it (unless it doesn't say redirect all variations of first name). Part of the logic for only re-directing Christian names written on the card I thought was if there was a family of the same name moved into the address you could differentiate between mail that should be redirected and that which shouldn't.
How many of us are getting this wrong?
Why doesn't RM provide us with the right training in this stuff?
:arrrghhh
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Redirection question

Post by ScousePostie »

ted_e_bear wrote:Not an answer to your question but I've recently had the same issue, redirection said entire family move but in my case it was only for 'mr jones' I didn't redirect 'mrs jones' mail (doing it by the book) even though the house was obviously empty, is the house on your delivery empty or is it possible that they've split up and only the Mrs has moved out ?
The address is now occupied by new tenants with a completely different surname. The redirection is to another walk in the office, so in this particular case I was able to check the address to see that mail was being sent out to Mr Jones (not on redirection) as well as Mrs Jones (on redirection) at their new address. Nearly 100% proving that Mr Jones lives at the new address with his missus.

As mentioned earlier, it seems that there are lots of different scenarios that could occur here. Royal Mail seem vague.

Also, I should have mentioned that DOM told me to redirect the letter that I had questioned.