I loved the job but the last few years it has been a drag,I kept my head down,Did my job and worked until my time.
The arguments of why did i need to leave mail stopped,I got into the habit of saying to them "What do you want me to do,Leave it in or bring it back"
I never gave them the option of anything else and if they questioned me i told them quite simply they were welcome to come out,But this is what needs to stay in.
It depressed me seeing managers bully others on a daily basis,Basically calling hardworking people liars because they could not complete the poorly planned round on time,Women reduced to tears by them because they had children to pick up from school,There is nothing worse than knowing you wont be able to complete only for a manager to say you can,Treated like children and no respect,Yet they always ask for it from us,Its a two way thing.
The battles to get time off,Holidays constantly turned down,Aching body,Sore feet,Lack of sleep thinking about going into work! The same cry babys in the office crying about the same old trivial things,The working for free early starters,Scan this,Scan that,The weather! Too wet,Too hot,Or too cold,Not knowing who my partner was from one day to the next,D2D I always hated doing those bastards 5 or 6 a week,But its ok they take no time.................
An office FULL of unhappy postmen,The job had turned into a depression for me.
After doing my new job for some time,Without going into too much detail,It is the total opposite,A place full of happy people and not one person complaining about the management,Just praise.
Realistic workloads,Appreciative managers who dont mind people having a chat and a laugh as long as the work is complete.
Monday-Friday 37.5 hour week.
The saying a happy workplace is a productive one is spot on and im loving every minute,I feel like i have my Mojo back.
It has made me realise how hard Royal mail workers work,The bosses are whipping willing horses and no doubt plenty will bolt in the coming months/years,SHAME ON YOU ROYAL MAIL,YOU ARE A DISGRACE!
When i tell the people i now work with the things being a postman entails,I dont think they quite believe me,It is a hard hard job,All the times i said to myself there must be something better out there has been born true,To anyone not sure of making the jump,Do not hesitate,I have worked with some fantastic people over the years and Royal mail do not deserve 90% of them.
I wish all of you the best,Do not let them grind you down,They hire your Labour for 39 hours per week,Or whatever you work,It does not entitle them to treat you like dirt and speak to you like crap and expect you to flog yourself for an extra 2,3 or 4 hours after your time.
Solidarity is a must over the coming months and years,Stick with your Union and stand strong together and should the dreaded strikes come,I shall be visiting my old Comrades with some goodies and Moral support.
I have nothing but respect for you all and always will.