ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Question about a transfer

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mattandbenny
Posts: 69
Joined: 14 Jan 2015, 13:44
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by mattandbenny »

Basically i have worked for RM for 7 months and am on a permanent part time 30 hour a week contract.

I got moved offices before i even started to one 40 minutes away from where i interviewed and was told take it or leave it and that i cannot request a transfer before i have worked here 6 months. I stuck it out and a month ago (after 6 months) i requested a transfer however the office manager told me it's not a case of emailing the manager at the other office anymore and that i must wait until a vacancy appears online and then apply for it online stating i already work for RM and his would br a transfer etc.

The problem i have is that the vacancy advertised at the office i want to work at is for 25 hours per week. I am on 30 hours so obviously don't want to drop down to 25 hours. Is there a way i can get the transfer to this other office whilse keeping my 30 hours a week?
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Question about a transfer

Post by doorstepped »

Sadly, probably not.
they can't stop you getting a transfer to another office if there is a vacancy there.

couldn't OT make up for the 5 hour difference.
mattandbenny
Posts: 69
Joined: 14 Jan 2015, 13:44
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by mattandbenny »

Hmm thought so. Yea but overtime isn't guaranteed, especially with he overtime ban in place at the moment.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by datasaint »

Do it. The saving you'll make in time/expense travelling an extra hour a day easily makes up for the reduction in contracted hours.

Plus you have to be in that office to apply for any duties with higher hours. As all the ones advertised externally are always going to be low hours nobody wants.
bmccoll
Posts: 190
Joined: 21 Sep 2015, 22:19
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by bmccoll »

I worked as a PHG and state that you cannot transfer llike for like now, you have to work with the new office. IMO its a gradual decrease to PT hours. When was an AG up'd to PM grade in the last 10 years?
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by wacko74 »

I'd definitely transfer, a 40 minute commute (each way?) must be costing you a small fortune and there's every possibility that overtime will be available in your new office to make up your hours.

This overtime ban certainly isn't a blanket ban anyway... I booked 5 hours extended delivery this week and over 10 hours the 2 previous weeks!
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by stan_lers »

You can speak to the DOM at the other office.

I tried to transfer from an office 30 miles away to one on my street, but it would have been going from 30hrs to 20. They said the best they could do was 23hrs over 3 days, and that I could easily make up the extra 7hrs by working one of my 3 days off.

In the end I turned them down because I couldn't live on 23hrs if I couldn't do overtime. But if you talk to the DOM they might be able to sort something for you, especially since they get someone fully trained who can get right into the job.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by wacko74 »

stan_lers wrote:You can speak to the DOM at the other office.

I tried to transfer from an office 30 miles away to one on my street, but it would have been going from 30hrs to 20. They said the best they could do was 23hrs over 3 days, and that I could easily make up the extra 7hrs by working one of my 3 days off.

In the end I turned them down because I couldn't live on 23hrs if I couldn't do overtime. But if you talk to the DOM they might be able to sort something for you, especially since they get someone fully trained who can get right into the job.

That sounds crazy!

The extra you're paying in tax and N.I on 30 hours, plus your commuting costs of 30 miles each way must mean your take home pay is barely any more than what you'd get on 23 hours with zero commuting costs.

I would have snapped their hands off to work 23 hours over 3 days at a D.O. on my own street!
stan_lers
Posts: 136
Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
Gender: Male

Question about a transfer

Post by stan_lers »

I'm saving for a house, so 23hrs isn't enough for me. Plus I was supposed to work every Saturday, I'd lose tons of money while on holiday, and the commute isn't actually that bad, and only costs about £4 a day.

If I wasn't saving for a mortgage then I'd probably have taken it and hoped for regular overtime, but I'd rather have 30 hours guaranteed.