ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Refused sick line (update)
-
Batsugun
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 14 Oct 2015, 21:44
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line (update)
I received a sick line for 2 weeks this morning and when I presented it to my Dom he has refused it. He says I have to come in on light duties. It is a foot injury.
Had a quick look on government pagea and apparently it is illegal to do this and they depot will not be covered for insurance purposes if anything happens to me.
Just as some context, i have never been ill my entire working life.
We have a few illnesses at moment so I assume he is panicking about that.
Had a quick chat with a lawyer friend and he has warned me that I could sue both the company and the DOM if anything was to happen.
I certainly don't want it to get out of hand as I love my job and my working life will certainly be strained after this.
But surely I am in the right to be concerned with this behaviour
Had a quick look on government pagea and apparently it is illegal to do this and they depot will not be covered for insurance purposes if anything happens to me.
Just as some context, i have never been ill my entire working life.
We have a few illnesses at moment so I assume he is panicking about that.
Had a quick chat with a lawyer friend and he has warned me that I could sue both the company and the DOM if anything was to happen.
I certainly don't want it to get out of hand as I love my job and my working life will certainly be strained after this.
But surely I am in the right to be concerned with this behaviour
Last edited by Batsugun on 29 Jun 2017, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
What is a sick line? Fit note?
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
Just inform your rep, if no joy, kick it upstairs to area rep. FTM.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Batsugun
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 14 Oct 2015, 21:44
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
Yeah I think so.
I have damaged my foot and the doctor told me that it must be rested (weight off it with ice pack) for two weeks to allow the inflammation to go down.
I have damaged my foot and the doctor told me that it must be rested (weight off it with ice pack) for two weeks to allow the inflammation to go down.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
Your boss is trying it on. I wouldn't believe a word your asshat brass hat says. I can easily believe light duties from a paid liar wouldn't be light enough or stay light for very long.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
bobthepostie
- Posts: 135
- Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 17:41
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
The DOM is not medically trained. They cannot go against the advice of a doctor. I'd be handing it in, and what he does with it is his choice. You've been told by a GP to rest. Case closed.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Refused sick line
bobthepostie wrote:The DOM is not medically trained. They cannot go against the advice of a doctor. I'd be handing it in, and what he does with it is his choice. You've been told by a GP to rest. Case closed.
Sorry but thats wrong, the law has now changed and the Bosses can ignore fit notes.
Mind you they would have to be prepared to justify why they did so, and what medical advice they sought from the in-house specialists (OH assist) that led them to make that decision. They would have to also justify why it was a reasonable demand/request.
I would first ask the Manager, with reps advice, to get OH Assist to assess you, over the phone if necessary.
Source: http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/govern ... fit-notes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Government tells employers they can overrule GP fit notes
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
I know this is hard to swallow but employer can refuse to accept a GP fit note irrelevant of what boxes on the " fit note" and even recommendations from their own Occupational Health Provider OH Assist but in doing so they run a very fine line should anything happen to you as a result of their actions which could further aggravate your condition and open the door for compensation claims. There is also the H&S issue of how quick you can vacate the building in an emergency fire drill or an actual fire. I don't think this manager would be keen to sign a document that he/she takes the responsibility should anything happen to you on the premises while you have an active medical certificate for not being there.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
Is the screw saying that OH.Assist disagree with the fit note or is the screw saying that he/she ain't going to accept it without advice from OH Assist?
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Pidleypoo
- Posts: 705
- Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
If he wants you to come in do it, but make it clear that any further injury you sustain as a result then you will sue the company for ignoring medical advice.
That's exactly what I did and they bricked it and backed down and I assure you I meant every single word I said
That's exactly what I did and they bricked it and backed down and I assure you I meant every single word I said
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
Yes the DOM can refuse to accept a FIT note.
But that means if he won't accept your Doctors advice then you are officially sick and unable to attend work, this may be because he can't manage the advice on the Doctors note for H&S reasons or alternatively because he may be trying to bully you back to work Some people may have a very poor opinion of your DOM.
My advice would be stay off work sick until you are fully fit particularly if you think your DOM is an inconsiderate person!!!!
But that means if he won't accept your Doctors advice then you are officially sick and unable to attend work, this may be because he can't manage the advice on the Doctors note for H&S reasons or alternatively because he may be trying to bully you back to work Some people may have a very poor opinion of your DOM.
My advice would be stay off work sick until you are fully fit particularly if you think your DOM is an inconsiderate person!!!!
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
The business reserves the right to refuse sick pay if an absence is due to, or
is aggravated by, causes within the employee's control, or if the employee has
neglected instructions given by a Doctor
THE ABOVE IS AN EXTRACT FROM THEIR OWN SICK PAY POLICY
SMELLS OF DOUBLE STANDARDS.
is aggravated by, causes within the employee's control, or if the employee has
neglected instructions given by a Doctor
THE ABOVE IS AN EXTRACT FROM THEIR OWN SICK PAY POLICY
SMELLS OF DOUBLE STANDARDS.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4145
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Refused sick line
Just say to the idiot that before you'll return on light duties you'll need a letter on paper and personally signed saying that he fully recognises that you've been advised to stay home but against your GP's wishes he's insisted that you return to work.
He'll know you've got him by the bollix whatever happens then.
He'll know you've got him by the bollix whatever happens then.
-
POSTMAN
- SITE ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 32798
- Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
- Gender: Male
Refused sick line
The problem here is the scumbag will dock his pay if he goes off, that's guaranteed.
Seriously needs the area rep to get involved asap!
Then a grievance.This is bollox.
Also there is nothing about this in the attendance procedure is there?
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=52975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seriously needs the area rep to get involved asap!
Then a grievance.This is bollox.
Also there is nothing about this in the attendance procedure is there?
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=52975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
-
Tman
- Posts: 4145
- Joined: 21 Oct 2007, 09:57
Refused sick line
How can he, if he's still covered by the GP's sick note?POSTMAN wrote:The problem here is the scumbag will dock his pay if he goes off, that's guaranteed.