ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Starting next week
-
MissKazzyB
- Posts: 80
- Joined: 22 Mar 2017, 21:50
- Gender: Female
Starting next week
Hi,
I've finally got my contract through the post & im due to start next week. I'm really excited now to start as I've been waiting months for everything to go through.
I have afew questions for anyone that can answer them please :
Do they do a work rota in advance, like a month so I know what day I have off ? My contract is 25 hours each week mon - sat with a day off during the week.
If I wanted a certain day off in afew weeks time to attend my sons sports day at school, am I allowed to request a certain day or am I just given whatever day they say ?
I read that I get life insurance. This is something I've been meaning to get for a long time. Shall I bother to get it now or not bother as RM do it ?
How does the pension work ?
Thanks
I've finally got my contract through the post & im due to start next week. I'm really excited now to start as I've been waiting months for everything to go through.
I have afew questions for anyone that can answer them please :
Do they do a work rota in advance, like a month so I know what day I have off ? My contract is 25 hours each week mon - sat with a day off during the week.
If I wanted a certain day off in afew weeks time to attend my sons sports day at school, am I allowed to request a certain day or am I just given whatever day they say ?
I read that I get life insurance. This is something I've been meaning to get for a long time. Shall I bother to get it now or not bother as RM do it ?
How does the pension work ?
Thanks
-
Gordonparrish1
- Posts: 17
- Joined: 03 Mar 2017, 14:37
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
I've only been there about three week but The rota at my DO is done about a week In Advance. If you ask for your day off to be a certain day they should be able to accommodate as long as it's good notice.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Starting next week
I don't know about life insurance but there's a very generous Death Benefit after quite a few years
and none of us knows when our number's up.
and none of us knows when our number's up.
-
tonytucker
- Posts: 190
- Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 18:20
- Gender: Male
- Location: Essex now
-
RobertT
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 6696
- Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
RM take out life insurance for you, otherwise known as a death in service payment. If you’re an active member of any RM pension arrangement, it would be a payment of 4 times salary on your death.
Details of that and the Royal Mail Defined Contribution pension plan are available in the plan guide here: https://www.zurich.co.uk/internet/works ... 716529.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Details of that and the Royal Mail Defined Contribution pension plan are available in the plan guide here: https://www.zurich.co.uk/internet/works ... 716529.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
Ah the innocence of youth. Don't worry they'll be as cynical as the rest of us after Christmas. Doesn't take long does it.tonytucker wrote:Pension ha ha ha your hoping ain't Yer!!
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Starting next week
if you are a reserve then your day off will probably be on Tuesdays and rarely get Saturday off and get every bank holiday off. Just hope you get a decent delivery office which will rotate your day off like this wk 1 Monday, wk 2 Tuesday and so on. to week 6 Saturday. Good luck.
-
bigal383
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 492
- Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:20
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
-
woking
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
- Gender: Male
- Location: wokingham
Starting next week
don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Starting next week
woking wrote:don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
One of a very lucky few who got made up then. Or not so lucky if you have a revision soon, as part timers will all be pushed ahead of the queue on future resigns and you will back as a reserve.
Good luck to anyone trying to get a full time contract now as they want us all part time and come he end of the five year grace period we could all wake up with part time contracts! (although at least then I may get back on a walk
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
woking
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
- Gender: Male
- Location: wokingham
Starting next week
I signed for my walk so how would I be put back as a reserve?Judgee wrote:woking wrote:don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
One of a very lucky few who got made up then. Or not so lucky if you have a revision soon, as part timers will all be pushed ahead of the queue on future resigns and you will back as a reserve.
Good luck to anyone trying to get a full time contract now as they want us all part time and come he end of the five year grace period we could all wake up with part time contracts! (although at least then I may get back on a walk)
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
Office revision, walk becomes PT hours i.e. no prep time given. FTers allocated as reserves, will do indoor sort and whatever walking required.woking wrote:I signed for my walk so how would I be put back as a reserve?Judgee wrote:woking wrote:don't believe all you read on here,it's a physical job but the pay is good & as for never getting full time hours that's not always the case.I started on a 32 hour contract & after a year I was made up to full time & given my own delivery.bigal383 wrote:Lads get a right job its part time no careers prospects and youll never get full time
One of a very lucky few who got made up then. Or not so lucky if you have a revision soon, as part timers will all be pushed ahead of the queue on future resigns and you will back as a reserve.
Good luck to anyone trying to get a full time contract now as they want us all part time and come he end of the five year grace period we could all wake up with part time contracts! (although at least then I may get back on a walk)
Basically they can make you do whatever as long as its a reasonable request and fits your contracted hours.
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
Regarding turning duties into part time- I don't often agree or get impressed by RM tactics but that is genius hahahahahaha
Out of pure spite to some of the selfish old timer twats In my office can't wait to see their face when they lose their 3 hour walk. And get stuffed with a 6 hour dredge.
Out of pure spite to some of the selfish old timer twats In my office can't wait to see their face when they lose their 3 hour walk. And get stuffed with a 6 hour dredge.
-
Kick the Bucket
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
And you think that they will leave those duties at 3 hours? Keep believing, Royal Mail will make them 6 going on 7 hours if they have anything to do with it.South_London_Postie wrote:Regarding turning duties into part time- I don't often agree or get impressed by RM tactics but that is genius hahahahahaha
Out of pure spite to some of the selfish old timer twats In my office can't wait to see their face when they lose their 3 hour walk. And get stuffed with a 6 hour dredge.
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
Starting next week
You can ask your manager if you can get the day off for the sports day but don't hold your breath. Failing that ask a colleague if they would like to swap. The duty's are put up 2 weeks in advance if you're lucky, but as always subject to change. Welcome to the jungle!!