ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Collections
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Collections
Does anyone have any tips for someone new to collections? Thanks
-
scoobymunster
- Posts: 346
- Joined: 30 Mar 2011, 00:39
- Gender: Male
Collections
Try and work out your route before you leave the office. Talk to anyone who has done them previously about the specifics of each location. You'd be surprised how much time you can waste trying to find a well hidden box up some side lane/a firm that has a "hidden" drop for their collection. Also always keep your SD's seggregated from everything else, especially if it's a big collection! I stopped doing them because I hate rush hour traffic 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Collections
Don't photocopy the Barcodes and use them to scan the boxes. Too many have been sacked for that, oh and don't drive on the pavement or wrong side of the road.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Collections
Try not to get stressed! You will get quicker, without breaking speed limits. Keep calm at all times, otherwise you will make errors like losing keys, sacks of mail, specials, leaving stuff in PO's and clearing off etc. Ignore any neanderthal trying to wind you up about how late you are on the docking ramp 
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Collections
Put your keys/collection route/small specials in a grey tray on the passengers seat.
Regularly check your keys are there.
Fill out the blue collection sheet with any specials from businesses (be religious about this, as losing a special is as serious as losing one on delivery).
Ask colleagues about any places your are unsure of, it'll probably be meaningless to you if you don't know the area, but you might get vague idea.
Always take the keys out the ignition when getting out the van.
Regularly check your keys are there.
Fill out the blue collection sheet with any specials from businesses (be religious about this, as losing a special is as serious as losing one on delivery).
Ask colleagues about any places your are unsure of, it'll probably be meaningless to you if you don't know the area, but you might get vague idea.
Always take the keys out the ignition when getting out the van.
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
Collections
I wouldn't recommend keeping specials in the front of the van.norm wrote:Put your keys/collection route/small specials in a grey tray on the passengers seat.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Collections
Fair enough. But in the middle of winter do you want the possibility of specials falling out the back when you open up the van door to throw in the 20th mail sack and the vans nearing capacity.Deadly wrote:I wouldn't recommend keeping specials in the front of the van.norm wrote:Put your keys/collection route/small specials in a grey tray on the passengers seat.
Least if they're in the front you can keep tabs on them.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Collections
Thanks everyone for your handy tips! :)
-
glenfiddich
- Posts: 1012
- Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 13:15
Collections
If they re in the front any scumbag can see em an smash a window to grab them always put them in the back in a green bag inside a grey bagnorm wrote:Deadly wrote:I wouldn't recommend keeping specials in the front of the van.norm wrote:Put your keys/collection route/small specials in a grey tray on the passengers seat.
Least if they're in the front you can keep tabs on them.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Collections
Thanks, yes I see what you mean.glenfiddich wrote:If they re in the front any scumbag can see em an smash a window to grab them always put them in the back in a green bag inside a grey bagnorm wrote:Deadly wrote:I wouldn't recommend keeping specials in the front of the van.norm wrote:Put your keys/collection route/small specials in a grey tray on the passengers seat.
Least if they're in the front you can keep tabs on them.
I have been told that specials are in green bags.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Collections
Try and keep a system in the back of the van don't just chuck it all in the back keep it organised.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Collections
Thanks, I am trying to do that but failing...apparently I have the heaviest collection route and I have received less training than standard. Will see how it goes today, hopefully better.CPTNemoUK wrote:Try and keep a system in the back of the van don't just chuck it all in the back keep it organised.
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Collections
After so long you will get a genral idea what you get from firms, so it becomes second nature. Has for training i got shown round once with somebody on a friday. So on the monday when i did it by myself (after a weekend of drinking and forgetting what i was shownInterested-seeker wrote:Thanks, I am trying to do that but failing...apparently I have the heaviest collection route and I have received less training than standard. Will see how it goes today, hopefully better.CPTNemoUK wrote:Try and keep a system in the back of the van don't just chuck it all in the back keep it organised.
-
loverman shabba
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
- Gender: Male
Collections
try not to fall asleep whilst doing very little and enjoy your delivery supplement 