ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Question about PDAs

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Question about PDAs

Post by Interested-seeker »

Question about the PDAs.

I am newish to Royal Mail and I love this forum. It has been extremely informative.

I have got to grips with the PDAs, except for how to use the SatNav on it and also what to do if it won't scan the 2D barcode. Can I enter it in manually?

I would really appreciate help as I don't really want my manager pulling me up on not scanning a tracked if the PDA was to be unco-operative.

Thanks
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Question about PDAs

Post by olilew »

If the 2-D barcode on a tracked won't scan, just scan the 1-D one with the 11 digit number on
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Question about PDAs

Post by Interested-seeker »

olilew wrote:If the 2-D barcode on a tracked won't scan, just scan the 1-D one with the 11 digit number on
Thanks, sorry I do scan that one if it fails. Sorry I must mean the ones that aren't "tracked" but still have the 2d barcode. Maybe I am being daft and these don't need scanning.
centenaryman
Posts: 512
Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 20:31
Gender: Male

Question about PDAs

Post by centenaryman »

if you mean the bog standard printed 2d bar code on a normal parcel wont scan,,,,we asked last year when this came in.....post and deliver as normal dont try entering in to adhoc delivery the number... as you can do with a special/recorded or tracked the 2d bar code number can be long.

I find if a drop of water gets on some 2d barcodes they wont scan.
if the parcels be screwed up and the barcodes crumpled some wont scan
barcodes on tubes cause probs.

I attempt to scan everything,,,,wether or not it will scan is a different matter...that cant be helped
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Question about PDAs

Post by woopesh »

I was told to scan 2d barcodes a few times and if it won't scan post as regular mail. 1D barcodes all need to be scanned or entered manually if they won't scan.
Hrh75
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Mar 2017, 10:42
Gender: Female

Question about PDAs

Post by Hrh75 »

Select 'adhoc delivery', click it, and then you can manually input the number of the barcode
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Question about PDAs

Post by k979aaa »

Interested-seeker wrote:Question about the PDAs.

I am newish to Royal Mail and I love this forum. It has been extremely informative.

I have got to grips with the PDAs, except for how to use the SatNav on it and also what to do if it won't scan the 2D barcode. Can I enter it in manually?

I would really appreciate help as I don't really want my manager pulling me up on not scanning a tracked if the PDA was to be unco-operative.

Thanks
Don't worry about it the PDA's are just as crap a the management it is just they blame you not our high class equipment which they cannot even use themselves!
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Question about PDAs

Post by woopesh »

k979aaa wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Question about the PDAs.

I am newish to Royal Mail and I love this forum. It has been extremely informative.

I have got to grips with the PDAs, except for how to use the SatNav on it and also what to do if it won't scan the 2D barcode. Can I enter it in manually?

I would really appreciate help as I don't really want my manager pulling me up on not scanning a tracked if the PDA was to be unco-operative.

Thanks
Don't worry about it the PDA's are just as crap a the management it is just they blame you not our high class equipment which they cannot even use themselves!
Our crap PDA's cost £1300 each. Google TC75.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Question about PDAs

Post by k979aaa »

woopesh wrote:
k979aaa wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Question about the PDAs.

I am newish to Royal Mail and I love this forum. It has been extremely informative.

I have got to grips with the PDAs, except for how to use the SatNav on it and also what to do if it won't scan the 2D barcode. Can I enter it in manually?

I would really appreciate help as I don't really want my manager pulling me up on not scanning a tracked if the PDA was to be unco-operative.

Thanks
Don't worry about it the PDA's are just as crap a the management it is just they blame you not our high class equipment which they cannot even use themselves!
Our crap PDA's cost £1300 each. Google TC75.
So it's the software then or the IT and the network and even the printed 2D barcodes on normal paper with ink jet printers and in the wet they run and are not scan able but at the end of the day the system is s**t!
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8874
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

Question about PDAs

Post by blue1873 »

woopesh wrote:
k979aaa wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Question about the PDAs.

I am newish to Royal Mail and I love this forum. It has been extremely informative.

I have got to grips with the PDAs, except for how to use the SatNav on it and also what to do if it won't scan the 2D barcode. Can I enter it in manually?

I would really appreciate help as I don't really want my manager pulling me up on not scanning a tracked if the PDA was to be unco-operative.

Thanks
Don't worry about it the PDA's are just as crap a the management it is just they blame you not our high class equipment which they cannot even use themselves!
Our crap PDA's cost £1300 each. Google TC75.
And just maybe the suppliers saw us coming and rubbed their hands exclaiming "Happy Days" :nana :nana
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

Question about PDAs

Post by Darwinsdad »

I wonder if ours come from the guy down the market.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Question about PDAs

Post by Interested-seeker »

Hrh75 wrote:Select 'adhoc delivery', click it, and then you can manually input the number of the barcode
Thanks so much :Applause :)
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Question about PDAs

Post by Interested-seeker »

k979aaa wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Question about the PDAs.

I am newish to Royal Mail and I love this forum. It has been extremely informative.

I have got to grips with the PDAs, except for how to use the SatNav on it and also what to do if it won't scan the 2D barcode. Can I enter it in manually?

I would really appreciate help as I don't really want my manager pulling me up on not scanning a tracked if the PDA was to be unco-operative.

Thanks
Don't worry about it the PDA's are just as crap a the management it is just they blame you not our high class equipment which they cannot even use themselves!
Thanks everyone for not making me feel stupid :)
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Question about PDAs

Post by Interested-seeker »

Darwinsdad wrote:I wonder if ours come from the guy down the market.....
lol my PDA was playing up the other day, I had to wait 5 mins to log back in. At that moment in time a customer answered the door - I had a tray load of packets/signed for letters for him!
Interested-seeker
Posts: 442
Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
Gender: Female

Question about PDAs

Post by Interested-seeker »

woopesh wrote:
k979aaa wrote:
Interested-seeker wrote:Question about the PDAs.

I am newish to Royal Mail and I love this forum. It has been extremely informative.

I have got to grips with the PDAs, except for how to use the SatNav on it and also what to do if it won't scan the 2D barcode. Can I enter it in manually?

I would really appreciate help as I don't really want my manager pulling me up on not scanning a tracked if the PDA was to be unco-operative.

Thanks
Don't worry about it the PDA's are just as crap a the management it is just they blame you not our high class equipment which they cannot even use themselves!
Our crap PDA's cost £1300 each. Google TC75.
:shock: