ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by postiewhite »

We are having a revision next week, i'm on a 25hr contract and was told by the union rep I would jump to 28hrs and get my own duty only to find out at the last minute I will probably now miss out on that 3hr rise as the manager doesn't want to give me it. The thing is there has been a job vacancy on success factors for 27hrs last week and when I pulled up the manager about it I was told there was nothing they could do. I had an idea to actually apply for that vacancy via HR but the job was taken down (presumed taken). So now Im probably not going to get a rise in hours and there will be a new starter arriving in a few weeks on 2hrs more than me which a bit of a kick in the teeth. What rubs salt in the wounds is that a nearby office was advertising a 31hr contract and I was going to go for it until I was told I would be getting 28hrs and because I know all the walks and do a few hours OT at my office I decided not to go for it......big regret!!
Why the hell arn't these hours advertised internally to give existing staff a chance to increase hours?
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by datasaint »

Any vacancy needs to be put up for picking to everyone in the office before being resourced outside. Suggest you get a rep/area rep involved.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by postiewhite »

norm wrote:Any vacancy needs to be put up for picking to everyone in the office before being resourced outside. Suggest you get a rep/area rep involved.
I told the rep this 3 days ago, the advert has been taken down now as of the 26th (yesterday). I wont find out til next week if I will get these 3hrs increase as the manager is finalising the revision as it needs to be in place a week on Monday. The way its looking as the cut off point could be me and the person next senior to me will get the increase. Is there anything I can still do if I dont get the increase and that job already being taken down yesterday?
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by datasaint »

File a grievance if you have to. Proper procedure was not followed, jobs are allocated by office and seniority.

Ask your rep what his position would be if a FT vacancy was advertised and went to a new recruit, it's pretty simple.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by postiewhite »

norm wrote:File a grievance if you have to. Proper procedure was not followed, jobs are allocated by office and seniority.

Ask your rep what his position would be if a FT vacancy was advertised and went to a new recruit, it's pretty simple.
True. Would I file this against my manager (it wasn't her that advertised it but she was aware that I know about the vacancy if she chooses to keep me on 25hrs ) or against RM?
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by 97gaz »

[
Last edited by 97gaz on 14 Dec 2019, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by Creditshampoo »

If you're on a 25 hour contract you should get it bumped up to 28 anyway if you had a half decent rep. Impossible to have your break covered within contract
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by ScousePostie »

I started on 25 hour contract and was put on a 30 hour contract after 12 months, which I was more than happy with.

There are some that have started recently in our office that are on 20 hours Wednesday-Saturday.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by Dexydog »

Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by Postie45 »

maybe RM are actually having trouble recruiting people on these low hour contracts so keep those already on one without extending their hours and then try and entice new entrants with a slightly higher contract to get them in.
notgoodanymore
Posts: 16
Joined: 13 Dec 2016, 11:55
Gender: Female

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by notgoodanymore »

Dexydog wrote:Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
Any more news on this?
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by Dexydog »

notgoodanymore wrote:
Dexydog wrote:Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
Any more news on this?
We apparently have another 3 starters shortly.
I mentioned the last issue to DOM and he said will bear it in mind.
If anyone else starts on more than 25 hours a grievance will be going in.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by postiewhite »

Dexydog wrote:
notgoodanymore wrote:
Dexydog wrote:Same happened to me recently.
I've been on 25 hour contract for 10 months, regularly do 35-45 a week.
2 new starters, both on 30 hour contracts.
Union rep useless, spoke to DOM who sympathised, but said out of his hands as recruitment is handled at a higher level.
Couldn't be bothered arguing but made it clear I wasn't happy about it.
Any more news on this?
We apparently have another 3 starters shortly.
I mentioned the last issue to DOM and he said will bear it in mind.
If anyone else starts on more than 25 hours a grievance will be going in.

Not sure if a grievance would help? I thought these forms were more to do with bullying or if a manager said something to you?? Maybe just go above your manager and DSM and contact Sheffield, Pond St HR etc?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by Creditshampoo »

Bullying is a bullying form
Grievance is when management are not following procedure
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

New starters on better contracts. Has this happened in your office?

Post by Destiny »

Seriously if your Rep cannot deal with this then he shouldn't be in the role.
Can all be dealt with in 10 mins!