ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Supermac0151
Posts: 72
Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Supermac0151 »

So I'm a float which is a duty of sorts I assume..my question is: if a dutyholder of the walk I'm supposed to be covering decides to work their day off they automatically do their own duty and I get put elsewhere like a reserve, is this an agreement or do I have the right to insist on doing the duty I'm scheduled to do?
Burghboy
Posts: 224
Joined: 21 Oct 2013, 09:19
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Burghboy »

Supermac0151 wrote:So I'm a float which is a duty of sorts I assume..my question is: if a dutyholder of the walk I'm supposed to be covering decides to work their day off they automatically do their own duty and I get put elsewhere like a reserve, is this an agreement or do I have the right to insist on doing the duty I'm scheduled to do?

It's your duty, if he wants to work overtime he can ask you to move you don't need to, if he still wants to work he shoukd be on a vacant duty.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Judgee »

Management will tend to go with it to keep the duty holder happy but it would be nice if the duty holder actually consulted with you first to see if you minded. Operational needs would probably be thrown at you if you complain about it and ultimately we all have to do the duties we are told to (at least if we want paying). I guess if the duty holder is a selfish dick you are kinda screwed! :sad:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Supermac0151
Posts: 72
Joined: 11 Apr 2015, 08:28
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Supermac0151 »

I see what your saying but if you was to ask a dutyholder to move off their walk on their normal day there'd be uproar it just wouldn't happen! My float is a duty so what's the difference? Maybe I'm
Missing something here folks...
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Shaders »

No you are quite right, if you cover a duty on say a Wednesday, it is your duty on the Wednesday, not the duty holders. You would have signed for it.
I used to cover 5 walks and they started it with me, first few times I just moaned but one day I refused to come off the duty.
Got my rep involved and they never asked again.
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Newbie001 »

Problem is most dutyholders won't work their day off unless they get they're own duty. Seen people go home rather than work a different duty as after all, overtime is voluntary. Not fair really.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

It's your duty , if the regular postie works their day off they're not entitled to their normal round and have to get what their given
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Shaders »

Newbie001 wrote:Problem is most dutyholders won't work their day off unless they get they're own duty. Seen people go home rather than work a different duty as after all, overtime is voluntary. Not fair really.
Problem is this company allow too many of their favourites to pick and choose their overtime
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Judgee »

Newbie001 wrote:Problem is most dutyholders won't work their day off unless they get they're own duty. Seen people go home rather than work a different duty as after all, overtime is voluntary. Not fair really.
This is very much the case. From the managers perspective it's either keep a floater happy and one walk covered or get an extra walk out the door and piss him off. Most managers seem to favour the piss him off scenario! :roll:
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Nickvilla20
Posts: 788
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Nickvilla20 »

Try working in our office where having a duty don't mean anything. God knows what I could end up on tomorrow.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Jpro747 »

Why does it matter what duty you're on? We all do the same job just in different places and you don't have to work over your hours if you dont want to.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Chelseablue »

Jpro the problem is there are too many selfish ppl in r mail which is why we are doomed in the next while. They talk a good talk moaning about things at the same time sc rewing there fellow worker by kicking him off there duty for that day . Theres no such a thing as a normal floater in our place , the place is run on overtime , no point having a float duty advertised. If you want overtime,earn it instead of being a kn ob .
Redcollar
Posts: 29
Joined: 08 Mar 2017, 16:40
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Redcollar »

Jpro747 wrote:Why does it matter what duty you're on? We all do the same job just in different places and you don't have to work over your hours if you dont want to.
Why not just make us all reserves then?
Redcollar
Posts: 29
Joined: 08 Mar 2017, 16:40
Gender: Male

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by Redcollar »

Happened in my office today. Duty holder worked day off. Spat the dummy and said he would go home if he couldn't work on his own duty and floater got taken of HIS duty for that day to make way for someone who is doing overtime.

This same person is up managements arse and also conveniently gets a week off in the eastern holidays and October holidays and Christmas holidays. Favouritism at its worst
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Floater taken off duty when dutyholder works day off??

Post by simply_the_best »

I'm a duty holder and got papped onto a different run today while the reserve covered my duty, maybe the fact that he hadn't done the duty I was on would be the reason. I don't see the OP's problem, you still work the same hours?