ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

18mth Serious Warning - Meaning?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

18mth Serious Warning - Meaning?

Post by 19times »

Hi all.

Please could someone explain exactly what this actually means and how does it stack up in the level of conduct code levels? Is it really bad or 'middle' punishment?

I have heard people getting 24mths suspended dismissels, take it that is the highest apart from the boot.

Anyone explain please?

Thanks.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

18mth Serious Warning - Meaning?

Post by rehabron »

19times wrote:Hi all.

Please could someone explain exactly what this actually means and how does it stack up in the level of conduct code levels? Is it really bad or 'middle' punishment?

I have heard people getting 24mths suspended dismissels, take it that is the highest apart from the boot.

Anyone explain please?

Thanks.
In regards to the punishment levels that are available to management to impose in the conduct code an 18mth serious warning would be " middle punishment" and you can gauge the level of punishment by the level of authority of the issuing manager. In your case this punishment would have been given by a first line manager. What the punishment entails that you have 18 months to clear this serious warning provided you do not incur further disciplinary punishments in that period or there could be an increase in the levels of punishment.
However if this punishment of a serious warning of 18 mths is in relation to a previous post of yours concerning an RTA which you described as " minor" it then becomes a high level of punishment in relation to the circumstances as there is other punishments available within the RTA procedure that could have been utilised eg. driving reassessed, removed from driving duties for a designated period.
I answered your original posting on your RTA enquiry that there was a mutual agreement between RM and CWU that the conduct code would not be used as a mechanism in dealing with RTA and your award of a serious warning is baffling although I do not know the exact details of your RTA.
I am assuming that you were accompanied at your disciplinary meeting with a union rep and this award is to be challenged through the appeals procedure as my own thoughts that by applying this punishment by conduct code the agreement has been breached.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

18mth Serious Warning - Meaning?

Post by 19times »

rehabron wrote:
19times wrote:Hi all.

Please could someone explain exactly what this actually means and how does it stack up in the level of conduct code levels? Is it really bad or 'middle' punishment?

I have heard people getting 24mths suspended dismissels, take it that is the highest apart from the boot.

Anyone explain please?

Thanks.
In regards to the punishment levels that are available to management to impose in the conduct code an 18mth serious warning would be " middle punishment" and you can gauge the level of punishment by the level of authority of the issuing manager. In your case this punishment would have been given by a first line manager. What the punishment entails that you have 18 months to clear this serious warning provided you do not incur further disciplinary punishments in that period or there could be an increase in the levels of punishment.
However if this punishment of a serious warning of 18 mths is in relation to a previous post of yours concerning an RTA which you described as " minor" it then becomes a high level of punishment in relation to the circumstances as there is other punishments available within the RTA procedure that could have been utilised eg. driving reassessed, removed from driving duties for a designated period.
I answered your original posting on your RTA enquiry that there was a mutual agreement between RM and CWU that the conduct code would not be used as a mechanism in dealing with RTA and your award of a serious warning is baffling although I do not know the exact details of your RTA.
I am assuming that you were accompanied at your disciplinary meeting with a union rep and this award is to be challenged through the appeals procedure as my own thoughts that by applying this punishment by conduct code the agreement has been breached.
rehabron, thanks for all that I really do appreciate that reply.

Rep was baffled by the decision to be honest and I was like :crazy: I will be appealing the punishment as that is what has been handed me which I completely disagree with.

Thanks again.
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

18mth Serious Warning - Meaning?

Post by Himaggen »

These are the levels as I understand, you decide how harsh you think it was.
  1. Warning (kept on record for 12months)
  2. Serious Warning (specified period 12-24 months up to 36 for dishonesty)
  3. Serious Warning with transfer (specified period 12-24 months up to 36 for dishonesty)
  4. Suspended Dismissal (specified period 12-24 months up to 36 for dishonesty)
  5. Suspended Dismissal with compulsory transfer (specified period 12-24 months up to 36 for dishonesty)
  6. Dismissal with notice
  7. Summary Dismissal (dimissal without notice).