ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Abuse from customers

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
camelelf
Posts: 64
Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by camelelf »

So today I cocked up, misdelivered a letter for the same number on next street. The guy who I posted it to came out to let me know, but had opened the letter. I took it to the correct address and got given quite a bit of abuse, more than I've ever had with two very offensive comments. I was a little surprised by this so just blurted out that it came to us in that state rather than admitting a misdelivery :arrrghhh

I can understand that one of your letters being opened is extremely unusual and cause for concern, but I must have forgotten that we are actually robots who can't make mistakes...
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by Postie45 »

an opened letter should be delivered inside a damaged bag, it shouldnt be delivered opened, i think the customer had a right to be suspicious, and the fact that you lied to them how are they to know it was just an "honest mistake" ? Thats not to say it warrants abuse from them
camelelf
Posts: 64
Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by camelelf »

Postie45 wrote:an opened letter should be delivered inside a damaged bag, it shouldnt be delivered opened, i think the customer had a right to be suspicious, and the fact that you lied to them how are they to know it was just an "honest mistake" ? Thats not to say it warrants abuse from them
I know, I shouldn't have lied to them just to save face but I did. I wasn't rude and apologised a couple of times, but after the comments I had to walk away.
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by osgoody1970 »

how many of these plastic bags do you take on delivery??? a bit harsh!!!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Abuse from customers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

I have a handful in each pouch - just in case
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by South_London_Postie »

Put it down to a lesson learned.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by greengiant »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in case
Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags? :hmmmm they could incorrectly assume the worst?
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Abuse from customers

Post by NWpostie »

greengiant wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in case
Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags? :hmmmm they could incorrectly assume the worst?
Assumption is not evidence, I've had such bags I use to keep newspaper dry and loose change amongst other things.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Abuse from customers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

greengiant wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in case
Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags? :hmmmm they could incorrectly assume the worst?
That's Okay it was the manager's suggestion.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Abuse from customers

Post by steve1873 »

If something like this happens again, even if partly your fault (the misdelivery), then don't go posting an opened item. You are leaving yourself wide open for a legitimate complaint. Simply return it to the DO for delivery the next day inside a damaged item bag. The same goes for any item that suffers damage during delivery for any reason. Or alternatively have a supply of damage bags in van.
Seymour Buts
Posts: 1148
Joined: 22 Jun 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by Seymour Buts »

I've had it a few times about door to doors.

"THIS HASN'T GOT MY ADDRESS ON IT, I DON'T WANT IT! IT SAYS NO LEAFLETS ON MY DOOR!"

I just bat it off and explain because they haven't got an opt out in I have to treat it as normal post and not delivering it could be classed as withholding mail. Pointless getting into a argument with customers, as I'm sure virtually everybody knows we're always the ones in the wrong if they phone and complain.

On the specific point mentioned here, take it as a lesson learnt. Never deliver mail that has been opened that hasn't been placed in a damage bag.
Bella2013
Posts: 11
Joined: 29 Nov 2015, 21:50
Gender: Female

Abuse from customers

Post by Bella2013 »

I had one come out shouting at me the other day for delivering one of those TalkTalk D2Ds that look like a real letter and have something like 'L.Price Totally Unlimited And then some sort of postcode' he was so annoyed. I don't know why people think they need to shout and be so angry about things surely if it's bad enough to warrant shouting they should just be phoning to complain about us? Even before I was a postie I would never have had a go at my postman for anything. People think because you're doing a job they have a right to speak to you like crap.
CPTNemoUK
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 707
Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by CPTNemoUK »

Bella2013 wrote:I had one come out shouting at me the other day for delivering one of those TalkTalk D2Ds that look like a real letter and have something like 'L.Price Totally Unlimited And then some sort of postcode' he was so annoyed. I don't know why people think they need to shout and be so angry about things surely if it's bad enough to warrant shouting they should just be phoning to complain about us? Even before I was a postie I would never have had a go at my postman for anything. People think because you're doing a job they have a right to speak to you like crap.
I have had the same thing done to me with that D2D. I found it funny though. He came out shouting and swearing saying stop putting wrong mail through my door get your eyes tested. So when i pointed it out to what it actually said, he shut up had a sheepish look on his face and went back in without even apologising :left:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Abuse from customers

Post by Lounge Lizard »

NWpostie wrote:
greengiant wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:I have a handful in each pouch - just in case
Although if the IB do a spot check and ask why you have damage bags? :hmmmm they could incorrectly assume the worst?
Assumption is not evidence, I've had such bags I use to keep newspaper dry and loose change amongst other things.
Yes, but NOT for all that loose change falling out of birthday cards. :shock: :crazy: :shock:
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Abuse from customers

Post by woopesh »

Bella2013 wrote:I had one come out shouting at me the other day for delivering one of those TalkTalk D2Ds that look like a real letter and have something like 'L.Price Totally Unlimited And then some sort of postcode' he was so annoyed. I don't know why people think they need to shout and be so angry about things surely if it's bad enough to warrant shouting they should just be phoning to complain about us? Even before I was a postie I would never have had a go at my postman for anything. People think because you're doing a job they have a right to speak to you like crap.
I didn't understand all the "we will not tolerate abuse of our staff" notices put up everywhere in customer facing roles before becoming a postman. Now I do. A lot of people feel very entitled. I didn't understand how pervasive this mentality was amongst he general public.