ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
is this worth the battle
-
newbie2011
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 27 Jul 2011, 17:00
- Gender: Female
is this worth the battle
think i posted this in the wrong place before. Is all this worth pursing through a grievance. Our 9 day fortnight rounds and our 5 day week rounds, each day is a different finish time due to longs and shorts. As a full timer, when I'm put on a round for a 9 day fortnight duty, for one day or for one week. It's expected that I will do that duty as a 7.48 day, or work the same pattern as a 5 day week (the dom can't decide). But he doesn't agree that every week I have to look at the working patterns, add up all of the total times for each duty I'm on, and then add the odd minutes onto the overtime sheet (as overtime or undertime, depending on rest day). I'm yet to have a week where I owe them minutes, just on the basic days worked with no overtime. Last week was 19 minutes, this week it will be 39 minutes. Next week, it will be 3hrs and 16 minutes. The dom has told me that I don't need to be doing that as it works itself out over the year, and anyway it's only a few minutes here and there. I was quite disgusted by that and told him that's not the case as the rest day is never consistent. I also told him that I think it may be discriminatory towards the person as if I work on the day of a 8.30 duty, I'm to only do it as a 7.20 duty, even though I'm performing the same activities. He told me to come in 15 minutes later and not to do so much ips (which will go down well, especially some days when there's only 3 sorters up!). Also, whilst off on holiday, when I returned, as we've recently had a revision, 6 of the staff - full time and part time 4 days, were given floater duties, one was a full timer with less seniority as myself, so now he is on the rotation where you're not getting screwed over with longs and shorts and know the rest days. Final gripe was that I had recorded down that I needed a day off as an appointment, as I don't know rest days and can't arrange around this. Dom says I can only have the day off if I work a 9 day fortnight round as a 5 day week. When I told him that wasn't fair or right, he said it was. I explained about not knowing rest days etc - deaf ears, lol. I also said that the appointment had actually been cancelled and I don't really need that day off (it's next week and wow, the rota is up!), he then said he'd change the rota. When I told him I'd made social plans, he seemed really annoyed. Is this worth taking through a grievance? Any thoughts or suggestions, although i think it's just the same old story as full time reserves being treated rubbish again.
-
Justanotherstar
- Posts: 351
- Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
- Gender: Male
is this worth the battle
Can't help with advice, just thought i'd add paragraphs so it's not so hard to read, lol.newbie2011 wrote:think i posted this in the wrong place before. Is all this worth pursing through a grievance. Our 9 day fortnight rounds and our 5 day week rounds, each day is a different finish time due to longs and shorts. As a full timer, when I'm put on a round for a 9 day fortnight duty, for one day or for one week. It's expected that I will do that duty as a 7.48 day, or work the same pattern as a 5 day week (the dom can't decide). But he doesn't agree that every week I have to look at the working patterns, add up all of the total times for each duty I'm on, and then add the odd minutes onto the overtime sheet (as overtime or undertime, depending on rest day). I'm yet to have a week where I owe them minutes, just on the basic days worked with no overtime.
Last week was 19 minutes, this week it will be 39 minutes. Next week, it will be 3hrs and 16 minutes. The dom has told me that I don't need to be doing that as it works itself out over the year, and anyway it's only a few minutes here and there. I was quite disgusted by that and told him that's not the case as the rest day is never consistent. I also told him that I think it may be discriminatory towards the person as if I work on the day of a 8.30 duty, I'm to only do it as a 7.20 duty, even though I'm performing the same activities. He told me to come in 15 minutes later and not to do so much ips (which will go down well, especially some days when there's only 3 sorters up!).
Also, whilst off on holiday, when I returned, as we've recently had a revision, 6 of the staff - full time and part time 4 days, were given floater duties, one was a full timer with less seniority as myself, so now he is on the rotation where you're not getting screwed over with longs and shorts and know the rest days. Final gripe was that I had recorded down that I needed a day off as an appointment, as I don't know rest days and can't arrange around this. Dom says I can only have the day off if I work a 9 day fortnight round as a 5 day week. When I told him that wasn't fair or right, he said it was. I explained about not knowing rest days etc - deaf ears, lol. I also said that the appointment had actually been cancelled and I don't really need that day off (it's next week and wow, the rota is up!),
he then said he'd change the rota. When I told him I'd made social plans, he seemed really annoyed. Is this worth taking through a grievance? Any thoughts or suggestions, although i think it's just the same old story as full time reserves being treated rubbish again.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
is this worth the battle
Thanks for making the paragraphs was just gunna quit this threadJustanotherstar wrote:Can't help with advice, just thought i'd add paragraphs so it's not so hard to read, lol.newbie2011 wrote:think i posted this in the wrong place before. Is all this worth pursing through a grievance. Our 9 day fortnight rounds and our 5 day week rounds, each day is a different finish time due to longs and shorts. As a full timer, when I'm put on a round for a 9 day fortnight duty, for one day or for one week. It's expected that I will do that duty as a 7.48 day, or work the same pattern as a 5 day week (the dom can't decide). But he doesn't agree that every week I have to look at the working patterns, add up all of the total times for each duty I'm on, and then add the odd minutes onto the overtime sheet (as overtime or undertime, depending on rest day). I'm yet to have a week where I owe them minutes, just on the basic days worked with no overtime.
Last week was 19 minutes, this week it will be 39 minutes. Next week, it will be 3hrs and 16 minutes. The dom has told me that I don't need to be doing that as it works itself out over the year, and anyway it's only a few minutes here and there. I was quite disgusted by that and told him that's not the case as the rest day is never consistent. I also told him that I think it may be discriminatory towards the person as if I work on the day of a 8.30 duty, I'm to only do it as a 7.20 duty, even though I'm performing the same activities. He told me to come in 15 minutes later and not to do so much ips (which will go down well, especially some days when there's only 3 sorters up!).
Also, whilst off on holiday, when I returned, as we've recently had a revision, 6 of the staff - full time and part time 4 days, were given floater duties, one was a full timer with less seniority as myself, so now he is on the rotation where you're not getting screwed over with longs and shorts and know the rest days. Final gripe was that I had recorded down that I needed a day off as an appointment, as I don't know rest days and can't arrange around this. Dom says I can only have the day off if I work a 9 day fortnight round as a 5 day week. When I told him that wasn't fair or right, he said it was. I explained about not knowing rest days etc - deaf ears, lol. I also said that the appointment had actually been cancelled and I don't really need that day off (it's next week and wow, the rota is up!),
he then said he'd change the rota. When I told him I'd made social plans, he seemed really annoyed. Is this worth taking through a grievance? Any thoughts or suggestions, although i think it's just the same old story as full time reserves being treated rubbish again.
-
bogstandard
- Posts: 1074
- Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16
is this worth the battle
its is always worth pursuing via the grievance procedure.
I am prepared to be corrected but AFAIK there is no annualisation of hours so it doesn't matter about the rest of the year. owed time should be repaid by the end of the week, or within 5 days of the anomaly .
Secondly not sure if a resign took place but it reads as though it may have. in this instance it is the responsibility of whoever conducted the resign to make sure you were approached in line with your seniority, you being on hols is irrelevant. The resign will need to go back to you and restart from there. If it wasn't a resign then your colleague may have been given a duty that will need to go for resign.
The appointment is vague as you mention making social plans, i'm sure there is someone out there who gets it but to me it reads as though you requested a day off and were given it. The appointment was then postponed till the following week and it reads as though you would be accommodated by the firm but you rejected this as you had made social plans for the day you initially requested, perhaps you could clarify.
I am prepared to be corrected but AFAIK there is no annualisation of hours so it doesn't matter about the rest of the year. owed time should be repaid by the end of the week, or within 5 days of the anomaly .
Secondly not sure if a resign took place but it reads as though it may have. in this instance it is the responsibility of whoever conducted the resign to make sure you were approached in line with your seniority, you being on hols is irrelevant. The resign will need to go back to you and restart from there. If it wasn't a resign then your colleague may have been given a duty that will need to go for resign.
The appointment is vague as you mention making social plans, i'm sure there is someone out there who gets it but to me it reads as though you requested a day off and were given it. The appointment was then postponed till the following week and it reads as though you would be accommodated by the firm but you rejected this as you had made social plans for the day you initially requested, perhaps you could clarify.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
is this worth the battle
My advice. if you think you are being treated unfairly then you have a cause for a grievance. However, I don't think you can put in a grievance because you think he was annoyed unless the annoyance affected you in some way. (Bad language, inappropriate behaviour etc).
Despite what he says still make note of being under or over each week as it should balance over 12 weeks I think (though not certain - reasoning is 12 week average for working hours in some legislation) and approach him with the excess hours each week, and the 12 weeks as well.
Despite what he says still make note of being under or over each week as it should balance over 12 weeks I think (though not certain - reasoning is 12 week average for working hours in some legislation) and approach him with the excess hours each week, and the 12 weeks as well.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.