Im a spare, and was put on a 'singleton' walk in a city centre this week with no training on it, other than a few shorthand notes scribbled down on a scrap piece of paper
Needless to say its been a long week...
8 boxes of D2D's, last to leave the building, last back etc
I think I've made more mistakes and brought back more mail in one week than the previous 6 months when I first started. Today I forgot to take a whole bag of packets out, which included a reg, and had to take them out after I finished at 2pm.
Every day has been a struggle and it has been voiced to the managers, but now as its nearing the end of the week it no longer matters, because as a spare you'll be put on a different walk again next week which you have never covered before.
Do spares have a right to say no to working a new duty if there has been no training given?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
No training on new walks
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
No training on new walks
no, but you can always outline the fact that you havent been trained and the possible problems which could arise from that if there is specific knowledge required to do that duty. Sounds like you were panicking a bit to forget the packets + reg, which is understandable. Next time, take a deep breath and dont neccessarily target finishing rather than doing as best as possible and follow cut off procedure.EdRush wrote:
Do spares have a right to say no to working a new duty if there has been no training given?
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
No training on new walks
Why didn't you cut off the packets if it meant you were going over.
You don't have to finish your round
You don't have to finish your round
-
EdRush
- Posts: 123
- Joined: 19 Oct 2016, 20:18
- Gender: Male
No training on new walks
Thanks for the advice, is the cut off procedure documented somewhere?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
No training on new walks
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=18563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;EdRush wrote:Thanks for the advice, is the cut off procedure documented somewhere?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
No training on new walks
Yeah, it isn't great being a spare. When I applied for the job, I thought that I would get assigned a route. Having one route would be ideal as each time you can work on getting quicker. Really hard to do that with different routes though. I've had a stressful day today, not helped by unsupportive managers. I am only new so still trying to get used to everything.EdRush wrote:Im a spare, and was put on a 'singleton' walk in a city centre this week with no training on it, other than a few shorthand notes scribbled down on a scrap piece of paper
Needless to say its been a long week...
8 boxes of D2D's, last to leave the building, last back etc
I think I've made more mistakes and brought back more mail in one week than the previous 6 months when I first started. Today I forgot to take a whole bag of packets out, which included a reg, and had to take them out after I finished at 2pm.
Every day has been a struggle and it has been voiced to the managers, but now as its nearing the end of the week it no longer matters, because as a spare you'll be put on a different walk again next week which you have never covered before.
Do spares have a right to say no to working a new duty if there has been no training given?
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
No training on new walks
We have never been trained on new walks. I and every other new postie got three days with a coach then twelve weeks on the training walk then reserve doing any walk after two years i had done every walk and had passed a sorting test. We never got o/t for going late on a walk as it was put down as you being slow and to be fair after a few months you did speed up and finished early.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
No training on new walks
cpsteve wrote:st. We never got o/t for going late on a walk as it was put down as you being slow and to be fair after a few months you did speed up and finished early.
You should have been, they have a separate training budget for new starters to cover just this situation.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
cpsteve
- Posts: 699
- Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
- Gender: Male
No training on new walks
In hindsight i should have asked nobody told me they just laughed as they drove past me on the way home lol.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:cpsteve wrote:st. We never got o/t for going late on a walk as it was put down as you being slow and to be fair after a few months you did speed up and finished early.![]()
![]()
You should have been, they have a separate training budget for new starters to cover just this situation.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
No training on new walks
some office have rotating duties each week rather than days which help the reserves but I don't like the idea of changing every day. But now I got my own duty and I prefer to stick with own duty.