ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Could i get the sack? RTA
-
postie3255
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 29 Apr 2017, 14:11
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
Hi, I've been with royal mail for 5 months. Today i parked the van on a crest of a hill. (same place we always leave it) I had the handbrake on and the van was in gear. There was no curb to turn into so i left the wheels straight. However when i left the vehicle to deliver it rolled down the hill into another car. It was on a private driveway and no one was hurt. The mail van is a quite badly damaged, but the other car seems mostly OK, The postie who had the van yesterday said he had a problem with the handbrake on duty yesterday . however it wasn't reported. . I am worried that i could lose by job over this. will it come to this ?
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Could i get the sack? RTA
It's possible.
Though the person who had the van yesterday will be asked why they didn't log it off.
Though the person who had the van yesterday will be asked why they didn't log it off.
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.
-
postie3255
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 29 Apr 2017, 14:11
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
> how likely a chance would you say there was ?
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
In gear it wouldn't roll, it'd crawl slightly only if it was a steep hill as it'd be fighting the compression of the engine.
-
postie3255
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 29 Apr 2017, 14:11
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
it was very steep
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
What did you do after the incident, get the van recovered?
Can the mechanic vouch the hand brake cable had snapped or was defective?
Can the mechanic vouch the hand brake cable had snapped or was defective?
-
postie3255
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 29 Apr 2017, 14:11
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
i rang up lux and told them all that had happened and it was getting recovered. im not sure about the mechanic, not sure if he was aware. im not sure how u would test the handbrake at the yard due to it being so flat?. The guy i was working with today did mention to the manager the handbrake slipped on him once yesterday, but no log recorded. when the vehicle gets tested they should see the hand brake is defective.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Could i get the sack? RTA
Get a rep involved straight away.
At the fact-finding interview, if they have one, be truthful.
In my opinion, if the manager has since been informed the handbrake has slipped previously and wasn't reported, makes your dismissal unlikely. Its still possible but as I say, if we and the manager take what you have said at face value you should be okay.
Don't embellish to avoid blame.
Also, they may ask what gear you parked it in, (reverse when pointing down, 1st when pointing up) tell them the truth even if you made a mistake. Being honest may save your job, lying or embellishing is a sure way to get sacked.
At the fact-finding interview, if they have one, be truthful.
In my opinion, if the manager has since been informed the handbrake has slipped previously and wasn't reported, makes your dismissal unlikely. Its still possible but as I say, if we and the manager take what you have said at face value you should be okay.
Don't embellish to avoid blame.
Also, they may ask what gear you parked it in, (reverse when pointing down, 1st when pointing up) tell them the truth even if you made a mistake. Being honest may save your job, lying or embellishing is a sure way to get sacked.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Destiny
- Posts: 200
- Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
- Gender: Male
- Location: North
Could i get the sack? RTA
Without knowing full details I'd say more than likely going to conduct. Get your case ready & seek help from branch immediately, I would phone them now to be honest if you have mobile send an urgent headed txt at the least.
Sorry I haven't got the full flow chart, don't know how I've lost some of it.
Sorry I haven't got the full flow chart, don't know how I've lost some of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
Could i get the sack? RTA
is there a flat area nearby ? Manager would be asking you why didn't you park there instead.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Could i get the sack? RTA
Cheers Destiny, and as a back up here is a link to the procedure http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=46441" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Road Traffic Accident Procedure (RTA) 2012Destiny wrote:Without knowing full details I'd say more than likely going to conduct. Get your case ready & seek help from branch immediately, I would phone them now to be honest if you have mobile send an urgent headed txt at the least.
Sorry I haven't got the full flow chart, don't know how I've lost some of it.
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 15&t=76486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 565/16 - Terms of Reference between Royal Mail and the Communication Workers Union on the National Extension of the Telephone Accident Reporting Process
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 97&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; RTA Procedure : Revised Accident Management Letters
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
The trouble is as the driver of the vehicle you are responsible for checking its road worthiness before you depart, and signing it off in the log book.postie3255 wrote:when the vehicle gets tested they should see the hand brake is defective.
Worth remembering if you get a heap of a van don't feel pressured into driving it as ultimately the buck stops with you if something goes wrong.
-
19times
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
- Gender: Female
Could i get the sack? RTA
Sorry to hear that mate.
I too had an RTA the other week, just had a 4 hour driver training course today and 'passed' that but not sure what happens now
I had a fact finding interview first. I would think you'll be ok If you have had what I have, I am still in a job thankfully after all it's an accident, clues in the name.
Good luck and get a Rep on the case with you.
I too had an RTA the other week, just had a 4 hour driver training course today and 'passed' that but not sure what happens now
I had a fact finding interview first. I would think you'll be ok If you have had what I have, I am still in a job thankfully after all it's an accident, clues in the name.
Good luck and get a Rep on the case with you.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
You really need your area rep involved and a mechanical report on the van as to why it was able to roll away.
Be as prepared as you can because RM won't show much tolerance to this kind of thing. Did this postie get his job back? http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=77605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Be as prepared as you can because RM won't show much tolerance to this kind of thing. Did this postie get his job back? http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 18&t=77605" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Could i get the sack? RTA
How on earth is it your fault the van failed