Hi there,
I am a newbie, been working for a few weeks as a delivery driver. From day one, I have been treated really badly. I don't want to go into details as it will make it obvious as to who I am.
I have had my fair share of difficult jobs and usually stick things out, but it feels like the managers have a vendetta against me (it is complicated, but if I told you the whole story it would make sense).
I am not sure whether to keep going with it or not...
I like the actual job but feel that I would get on better at a different office with more supportive managers. I don't consider myself slow or lazy by any means, I have always been a hard grafter and been given good feedback in other roles. In this current role, I am made to feel crap and expected (not asked) to go over my hours.
Is the union actually of any use?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Having a hard time with it - new
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Having a hard time with it - new
Id say thats the typical way you get treated at this company, I have been here nearly 10 years and have found basically its rotten from the top down, the dom doesn't give a s**t just wants to save money, the line'os just want there bonuses and other posties just want to do the job as fast as possible and get home, My advice is to treat them as they treat you this company doesn't value its work force all they are bothered about is clearing the mail.
-
Gangham_style14
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
- Gender: Male
Having a hard time with it - new
Did you say no to pressured overtime????????
-
Kobi72
- Posts: 43
- Joined: 16 Sep 2012, 11:01
- Gender: Male
Having a hard time with it - new
Yes join the union..go & see the union rep where you work & tell him what's going on..basically don't take any more crap off the dom or whoever is mistreating you..it's crap reading this as your a newbie & it shouldn't be happening..stick with it
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Having a hard time with it - new
Thanks for the kind words. It is horrible, especially as I am a conscientious person who doesn't take the mick, and I wouldn't say that I am slow.Kobi72 wrote:Yes join the union..go & see the union rep where you work & tell him what's going on..basically don't take any more crap off the dom or whoever is mistreating you..it's crap reading this as your a newbie & it shouldn't be happening..stick with it
Wish I could tell the whole story on here so that I seem justified.
I joined the union on my induction day, thing is...i don't even know who my union rep is as they have not introduced themselves to me.
-
Interested-seeker
- Posts: 442
- Joined: 20 Feb 2017, 11:50
- Gender: Female
Having a hard time with it - new
Hi there, no I didn't but I didn't get a chance to. I was not even asked if I wanted to do overtime, they just expected it off me. Infact, they tried to get me to work 4.5 hours over today and put so much into my schedule. Wish I could say more details, but I can't.Gangham_style14 wrote:Did you say no to pressured overtime????????
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Having a hard time with it - new
It is standard policy to make people feel they are slow at Royal Mail because that's how you get peoples backs against the wall and make them work above and beyond what is reasonable. Just remember it's a game. They are playing you like they play everyone if they can.
Your best strategy is to stand up for your rights and tell them straight how you feel and what you want to do. For example, 'Hi, just letting you know that's too much work for me and I don't want to finish past X o'clock so I can take X and Y but not Z.' Don't pussy foot around and don't be talked into doing more when you have made your mind up. Also don't get into a discussion, just repeat what you have said and be quite clear.
Not every office is like yours but the fact this is happening suggests your rep might not be very good. Or he/she may not be aware what is going on so find out who the rep is and talk to them. Our rep would sort this out in about 20mins but not all reps are equal.
Your best strategy is to stand up for your rights and tell them straight how you feel and what you want to do. For example, 'Hi, just letting you know that's too much work for me and I don't want to finish past X o'clock so I can take X and Y but not Z.' Don't pussy foot around and don't be talked into doing more when you have made your mind up. Also don't get into a discussion, just repeat what you have said and be quite clear.
Not every office is like yours but the fact this is happening suggests your rep might not be very good. Or he/she may not be aware what is going on so find out who the rep is and talk to them. Our rep would sort this out in about 20mins but not all reps are equal.
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Having a hard time with it - new
You have found this site, so your half way there.
Don't give up it's a decent job below all the s**t!
Your story and the way your managers act is typical across the whole of the UK believe me when I tell you, you are not alone!
You are contracted to work hours not walks okay remember that, you don't have to do any overtime you don't want to do. And you are not required to deliver a certain amount of parcels or letters a day regardless of what the tosser In the office says, you do as much as you can whilst following all the rules and you are basically untouchable! SIMPLE! Making you feel slow is all part of the game they are taught to do it ! The more they done it to me the slower I went, they soon learnt to f**k off!
Don't give in ! sometimes coming on here and swearing and venting. You will soon develop thick skin and you will be glad you see it through.
Stay positive my fellow Postie
Make sure you join the union one day it will be the best few pound you have ever spent.
Don't give up it's a decent job below all the s**t!
Your story and the way your managers act is typical across the whole of the UK believe me when I tell you, you are not alone!
You are contracted to work hours not walks okay remember that, you don't have to do any overtime you don't want to do. And you are not required to deliver a certain amount of parcels or letters a day regardless of what the tosser In the office says, you do as much as you can whilst following all the rules and you are basically untouchable! SIMPLE! Making you feel slow is all part of the game they are taught to do it ! The more they done it to me the slower I went, they soon learnt to f**k off!
Don't give in ! sometimes coming on here and swearing and venting. You will soon develop thick skin and you will be glad you see it through.
Stay positive my fellow Postie
Make sure you join the union one day it will be the best few pound you have ever spent.
-
Gangham_style14
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
- Gender: Male
Having a hard time with it - new
We are all friends here .... it sounds like your being easy targeted by your managers..... from experience same happend to me until I moved offices, forever putting on me and being new I always said yes !!! Since I transferred I stand my ground now, if I knew then what I know now I would have said no from day one..... interesting to know what ur scenario is ..........
You shouldn't be expected to go over hours .... by sound of it u work hard .. start standing up for yourself they will soon lay off and move onto next victim ...
You shouldn't be expected to go over hours .... by sound of it u work hard .. start standing up for yourself they will soon lay off and move onto next victim ...
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
Having a hard time with it - new
Hi one question that has not been asked of you " interested seeker" that as you have stated that you are a newbie are you still in the process of a trial or probationary period ?
-
maisymoo04
- Posts: 2226
- Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
- Gender: Male
- Location: You dont want to no
Having a hard time with it - new
what type of delivery driver our you 
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"