ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by Steve32ford »

Hi
I m only p/t !(so like most trying to survive!)
I ve always been willing(I know a mug!)
been in to prep or do early packets and always mopped up packets or delivery
I got asked the other day 'if I was available for extra 'as usual but had hospital appointment to attend
The next day was the same I said about not being giving option of coming in early to do them I was my prepared
to stay late! Guess what ! Now thrown aside and told ' won t be doing any then! ' that's some appreciation for trying my best
Before you all jump on band wagon all us p/t staff need o/t to survive but also appreciate that if we did nt do it things may change! But there's always another 1 ! Wages are wrong as per and feel like I ve been singled out for not being able to hold my tongue in!
I m starting my duty at the moment on the start time and completing duty but going over but have lost my 'top up'to wages!

A: do I sit tight and ride it out
B: is there a grievance procedure to put in?


Any advice
Thanks
Redcollar
Posts: 29
Joined: 08 Mar 2017, 16:40
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by Redcollar »

They will come crawling back to you when it gets busy mate. Election propaganda will be flooding in just shortly. I am also part time and used to do a lot of overtime when I first started the job.
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

Steve32ford wrote:Hi
I m only p/t !(so like most trying to survive!)
I ve always been willing(I know a mug!)
been in to prep or do early packets and always mopped up packets or delivery
I got asked the other day 'if I was available for extra 'as usual but had hospital appointment to attend
The next day was the same I said about not being giving option of coming in early to do them I was my prepared
to stay late! Guess what ! Now thrown aside and told ' won t be doing any then! ' that's some appreciation for trying my best
Before you all jump on band wagon all us p/t staff need o/t to survive but also appreciate that if we did nt do it things may change! But there's always another 1 ! Wages are wrong as per and feel like I ve been singled out for not being able to hold my tongue in!
I m starting my duty at the moment on the start time and completing duty but going over but have lost my 'top up'to wages!

A: do I sit tight and ride it out
B: is there a grievance procedure to put in?


Any advice
Thanks
What would your grievance be for? You did overtime and then had a few days where you couldn't due to other commitments. As you were not available on those days they asked others. They are just doing their job in getting the overtime covered.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by General Mannerheim »

Ah the old `threat` of not giving you overtime for a few weeks.
How I love these games the management play on newbies and part time staff. :roll:
Like somebody said they will come back when somebody else can't do overtime for some other reason or so.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by steve1873 »

Steve32ford wrote:Hi
I m only p/t !(so like most trying to survive!)
I ve always been willing(I know a mug!)
been in to prep or do early packets and always mopped up packets or delivery
I got asked the other day 'if I was available for extra 'as usual but had hospital appointment to attend
The next day was the same I said about not being giving option of coming in early to do them I was my prepared
to stay late! Guess what ! Now thrown aside and told ' won t be doing any then! ' that's some appreciation for trying my best
Before you all jump on band wagon all us p/t staff need o/t to survive but also appreciate that if we did nt do it things may change! But there's always another 1 ! Wages are wrong as per and feel like I ve been singled out for not being able to hold my tongue in!
I m starting my duty at the moment on the start time and completing duty but going over but have lost my 'top up'to wages!

A: do I sit tight and ride it out
B: is there a grievance procedure to put in?


Any advice
Thanks
Yes, immediate grievance quoting EXACTLY what was said to you. Clear case of discrimination and bullying!
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by steve1873 »

SierraOscarBravo wrote:
Steve32ford wrote:Hi
I m only p/t !(so like most trying to survive!)
I ve always been willing(I know a mug!)
been in to prep or do early packets and always mopped up packets or delivery
I got asked the other day 'if I was available for extra 'as usual but had hospital appointment to attend
The next day was the same I said about not being giving option of coming in early to do them I was my prepared
to stay late! Guess what ! Now thrown aside and told ' won t be doing any then! ' that's some appreciation for trying my best
Before you all jump on band wagon all us p/t staff need o/t to survive but also appreciate that if we did nt do it things may change! But there's always another 1 ! Wages are wrong as per and feel like I ve been singled out for not being able to hold my tongue in!
I m starting my duty at the moment on the start time and completing duty but going over but have lost my 'top up'to wages!

A: do I sit tight and ride it out
B: is there a grievance procedure to put in?


Any advice
Thanks
What would your grievance be for? You did overtime and then had a few days where you couldn't due to other commitments. As you were not available on those days they asked others. They are just doing their job in getting the overtime covered.
There is a clear inference that all overtime opportunities from this point on will be limited as a consequence of being unable to assist them on the day in question.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by datasaint »

People arguing against a two-tier work force, this thread here demonstrates it exits already. Part-timers are mere lackeys. Full-timers can call all the shots, only offer to come in on their day off on their own duty, turn down OT safe in the knowledge they still have enough income, get full holiday pay.
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by Steve32ford »

Update:
Went in today 15mins or so before my start time, full time colleague all bagged ready to go, rest of depot pretty much leaving! They were absorbing a walk I said' I won t have time to do that as you seem to not want me on o/t at moment!'
Response was well you ll have to thin your walk out as you have to do it! Also asked if my wages could be checked the reply was I won t have time as mopping up!!
Needless to say I m not down for early parcels mon!!! Is it worth having a word with union or the other manager? As the other only does wages/rota manager in training opg is it?
Never had a problem with me coming in early/staying late most days to clear mess up before!!
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by steve1873 »

Thin your walk out? As in stream out mail?

Ask him or her to put that in writing next time as you believe that could constitute wilfull delay and will be contacting his boss for clarification.

You absolutely DON'T have to lapse if you don't have the time.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by datasaint »

Don't do any more OT until your wages are in check, and let them know that.

Offer to do anything over your time for X amount, if they refuse follow the cutting off procedure (http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=18563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

The last thing the DOM wants is more cut-offs, so will pay out OT for an easy life.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by South_London_Postie »

First things first, why are you going in early ?

Find another part time job or a full time role if you need more money as you currently have zero negotiating power against the dick of a DOM you have.

I have seen this behaviour before basically blocking all overtime until you do as he says like a good puppy.

You are your own person so make your own choices but i for one would be using methods and cutting off all Mail that I can't deliver within time, taking my breaks religiously and making sure I leave work on the minute my times up generally being an awkward arse till he gets the message I am not the person to play games with. if that meant losing out on a bit of overtime short termfor the greater good, so be it! My own fault for accepting a contract I cannot maintain my life on.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by rubberbond »

norm wrote:People arguing against a two-tier work force, this thread here demonstrates it exits already. Part-timers are mere lackeys. Full-timers can call all the shots, only offer to come in on their day off on their own duty, turn down OT safe in the knowledge they still have enough income, get full holiday pay.
Just hang on a minute, you knew what the terms and conditions of employment were when you signed the contract, as did I,when I joined,it's hardly the fault of full time staff,that you are struggling on the hours you are contracted,,you weren't forced to take the job.it took nearly two years for me to get a Saturday off , and ten years as a reserve ,before i got to get my own duty,whilst part timers came in beneath me in seniority and had their own duty within months.
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by Steve32ford »

As soon as they let me loose with a van I was always down for early morning parcel run on the usual walks that would nt be able to do! If that's what you meant if not I am never informed of exact start time and the list on frame seems a tad outdated! My f/t buddy would be fully bagged and ready to go by the time I turned up! I miss going in early to help out and earn a bit extra ! I ll try to tackle them to sort wages Monday,
The answer to the other question was yes to thinning my duty out but no question the absorption had to be done no matter what!
I think it was because everyone else was already up and out!
Steve32ford
Posts: 36
Joined: 29 Sep 2015, 18:18
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by Steve32ford »

The other thing is we don t have a Dom at the moment only a line manager who's filling in!
Would it be worth a chat with union first or see if my wages will be sorted Monday and ask what the issue is with me not allowed to do them!
Dantheunit
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 10:11
Gender: Male

Advise please! And please don t slate me !!!

Post by Dantheunit »

rubberbond wrote:
norm wrote:People arguing against a two-tier work force, this thread here demonstrates it exits already. Part-timers are mere lackeys. Full-timers can call all the shots, only offer to come in on their day off on their own duty, turn down OT safe in the knowledge they still have enough income, get full holiday pay.
Just hang on a minute, you knew what the terms and conditions of employment were when you signed the contract, as did I,when I joined,it's hardly the fault of full time staff,that you are struggling on the hours you are contracted,,you weren't forced to take the job.it took nearly two years for me to get a Saturday off , and ten years as a reserve ,before i got to get my own duty,whilst part timers came in beneath me in seniority and had their own duty within months.
The flaw in your argument is that you could go part time if you wanted to and probably have the first pick of the part timers.

The reason it ia fair a pt er gets a walk, is because you have a better pension, more contract hours, indoor work and were made FT a lot quicker than the PTers nowadays (some of whom are 6+ years in the job and rising), if they prioritised all the duties by seniority, then the two tier workforce would be blatantly apparent.