ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Transfer help/information please

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kwoodford
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:41
Gender: Female

Transfer help/information please

Post by kwoodford »

Hi I have been working for RM for 7 months now, and want to transfer from my current office to my home town delivery office for various reasons. Please could anyone help me as to how I go about this please, as quite confused as to how I do this? Thanks.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Transfer help/information please

Post by datasaint »

Work your day off in the office you want to go to, make it known to the manager you're interested in transferring, wait for a vacancy to come up.

Or look on success factors for official vacancies.
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Transfer help/information please

Post by doorstepped »

you have been in the job for over 6 months so your DOM can't block your transfer.

when an official vacancy comes up in the office you want to move to and you have applied for it, you will have a wait of no more than 4 weeks before your transfer goes through.

Make sure you are not on any stage warnings for sickness etc.

had someone wanting to move to our office and the DOM at the other end did not want to let them move, but they can't stop it if it's done officially.

Good Luck :thumbup
josephemi23
Posts: 4
Joined: 24 Mar 2017, 11:28
Gender: Male

Transfer help/information please

Post by josephemi23 »

Did you have any luck? I'm looking to transfer as well and applied for a vacancy on the 24th of March. Did the online tests and haven't heard anything since! Is that normal? Can't seem to find a phone number I can use to chase it up.
Dantheunit
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 10:11
Gender: Male

Transfer help/information please

Post by Dantheunit »

josephemi23 wrote:Did you have any luck? I'm looking to transfer as well and applied for a vacancy on the 24th of March. Did the online tests and haven't heard anything since! Is that normal? Can't seem to find a phone number I can use to chase it up.
You didn't do it correctly. you apply throught the internal hr website https://www.myroyalmail.com/working-royal-mail/careers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwoodford
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:41
Gender: Female

Transfer help/information please

Post by kwoodford »

doorstepped wrote:you have been in the job for over 6 months so your DOM can't block your transfer.

when an official vacancy comes up in the office you want to move to and you have applied for it, you will have a wait of no more than 4 weeks before your transfer goes through.

Make sure you are not on any stage warnings for sickness etc.

had someone wanting to move to our office and the DOM at the other end did not want to let them move, but they can't stop it if it's done officially.

Good Luck :thumbup
Just spoke to my union rep today and been told that I have to have worked at my office for a year before I can transfer. Apparently he also said that if they are understaffed at my office they will not release me to transfer to new office. He also said that many offices only taking part time transfers. Also been told that you put a request for a transfer online but having signed up for success factors and looked there and elsewhere can't find anything. I was told to speak to manager at office I want to transfer to and they can push it through? Could you please enlighten me as to what is true as hearing so many different things I don't know what is right? Thanks.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Transfer help/information please

Post by Cedar_Room »

I presume you're part time?
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
kwoodford
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:41
Gender: Female

Transfer help/information please

Post by kwoodford »

Cedar_Room wrote:I presume you're part time?
No I have a permanent full time contract for 39 hours a week.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Transfer help/information please

Post by wacko74 »

kwoodford wrote:
Cedar_Room wrote:I presume you're part time?
No I have a permanent full time contract for 39 hours a week.
Wow,that's extremely rare these days for a new starter to get a permanent full time contract straight off the bat.

As already mentioned by others, even if a vacancy does arise at another office it's highly likely it will only be part time (although you'll probably be able to make up your hours with over time)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Transfer help/information please

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

kwoodford wrote: Just spoke to my union rep today and been told that I have to have worked at my office for a year before I can transfer. Apparently he also said that if they are understaffed at my office they will not release me to transfer to new office. He also said that many offices only taking part time transfers. Also been told that you put a request for a transfer online but having signed up for success factors and looked there and elsewhere can't find anything. I was told to speak to manager at office I want to transfer to and they can push it through? Could you please enlighten me as to what is true as hearing so many different things I don't know what is right? Thanks.
Its all true, except that on an officially approved transfer your manager can't block the transfer, but he can delay it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
kwoodford
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:41
Gender: Female

Transfer help/information please

Post by kwoodford »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
kwoodford wrote: Just spoke to my union rep today and been told that I have to have worked at my office for a year before I can transfer. Apparently he also said that if they are understaffed at my office they will not release me to transfer to new office. He also said that many offices only taking part time transfers. Also been told that you put a request for a transfer online but having signed up for success factors and looked there and elsewhere can't find anything. I was told to speak to manager at office I want to transfer to and they can push it through? Could you please enlighten me as to what is true as hearing so many different things I don't know what is right? Thanks.
Its all true, except that on an officially approved transfer your manager can't block the transfer, but he can delay it.
Hi thanks for that but could you please explain what you mean by an officially approved transfer? Thanks.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Transfer help/information please

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

kwoodford wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
kwoodford wrote: Just spoke to my union rep today and been told that I have to have worked at my office for a year before I can transfer. Apparently he also said that if they are understaffed at my office they will not release me to transfer to new office. He also said that many offices only taking part time transfers. Also been told that you put a request for a transfer online but having signed up for success factors and looked there and elsewhere can't find anything. I was told to speak to manager at office I want to transfer to and they can push it through? Could you please enlighten me as to what is true as hearing so many different things I don't know what is right? Thanks.
Its all true, except that on an officially approved transfer your manager can't block the transfer, but he can delay it.
Hi thanks for that but could you please explain what you mean by an officially approved transfer? Thanks.
Its when you apply and get a position through Sucess factors
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Transfer help/information please

Post by datasaint »

What office is giving 39hr contracts to new starts?? :crazy:
Dantheunit
Posts: 40
Joined: 02 Aug 2016, 10:11
Gender: Male

Transfer help/information please

Post by Dantheunit »

Your union rep is wrong. It used to be you had to work at RM for a year before you were 'confirmed' and had your contract made up before you could transfer. Now it's 26 weeks in the job.

I'm guessing you do collections because i haven't heard of a delivery postie going FT after just 7 months in a long time.

Now as others have alluded to, it's very difficult to take up a ft vacancy in another office, unless its advertised online.

When a vacancy arises its posted on the rm website and success factors. If you apply internally you leap frog external applicants.

If you take a pt position at your home office there is a low probability of being made ft due to your low seniority and the fact the company is trying to cut back on full timers.

My advice: your reasonably happy stay where you are, if not wait for a vacancy and transfer. The third option which the above poster mentioned is to do ot a the office you wanna tranfer to and speak to the DOM.
kwoodford
Posts: 5
Joined: 18 Apr 2017, 17:41
Gender: Female

Transfer help/information please

Post by kwoodford »

Dantheunit wrote:Your union rep is wrong. It used to be you had to work at RM for a year before you were 'confirmed' and had your contract made up before you could transfer. Now it's 26 weeks in the job.

I'm guessing you do collections because i haven't heard of a delivery postie going FT after just 7 months in a long time.

Now as others have alluded to, it's very difficult to take up a ft vacancy in another office, unless its advertised online.

When a vacancy arises its posted on the rm website and success factors. If you apply internally you leap frog external applicants.

If you take a pt position at your home office there is a low probability of being made ft due to your low seniority and the fact the company is trying to cut back on full timers.

My advice: your reasonably happy stay where you are, if not wait for a vacancy and transfer. The third option which the above poster mentioned is to do ot a the office you wanna tranfer to and speak to the DOM.
No I don't do collections at all, job was advertised as permanent contract 39 hours a week 6.30 till 2.30, I've never been part time have always been full time since first day i started back in October, and thanks for confirming the 26 weeks as I thought it was 6 months as well.