ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Going Home Early

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
SierraOscarBravo
Posts: 156
Joined: 03 Feb 2009, 22:13
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by SierraOscarBravo »

Today was fairly quiet on delivery yet when I arrived at 7am - the time I am supposed to start - I saw that probably 80 to 90% of my colleagues were already there in early with their fittings all prepped and packets sorted etc. I almost got run down outside the office by a runner going to pick his van up from the yard at 6.50am.

Out on delivery I lost count of all the Royal Mail vans racing through the area I was delivering in between 12 and 12.30pm on their way back to the office. We are paid to 2.30pm on a Saturday.

I just think to myself what complete and utter idiots. The irony is these people are the first to complain about all the lapsing and cutting hours.

As long as people keep coming in early and knocking off early then we can expect more deliveries to be lapsed and more hours to be cut.
Straight4ward
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1621
Joined: 25 Oct 2009, 14:32
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by Straight4ward »

If they are allowed to go home early, then the fault lies with the DOM.

In our office you could start as early as you like but you won’t be allowed to leave before your finish time. Get back early and they will find extra work for you and, on the occasions where there is nothing to do, you will still be made to wait until your finish time.

Whether early starting actually has much of an influence on the amount of lapsing or hours cut from an office in these days of computer modeling is open to debate. Resourcing to workload is based around traffic volumes, call rates and timings for every action.

The days of getting out early and getting home early have long gone from our office. There are still many colleagues who like to come in early (insomniacs?) but how productive they are is questionable. There seem to be a great deal of coffee drinking, chatting and smoking breaks going on but the work is of a leisurely nature. I think some people just find it easier to work at a more relaxed pace rather than having to go hell-for-leather the moment they step through the door.

I’m in early on IPS and they certainly don’t bother me, a little extra conversation doesn’t go amiss. :Very Happy
"Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by woody38 »

I think a clocking on machine is good, our delivery office has a wide catchment area, with some jobs upto 10 miles from delivery office they never come back to office so how do u now what time they finish, if everybody had to come back to the depot to sign out u would have an exalt finish time, any time owed would be but over to a beaver day when they finish later, the only problem u have with this is they would properly go home first, then come back later. All offices have trouble with runners but all the do is ruin the jobs for everybody else, more jobs flexed, jobs made bigger etc. But the Mail is dropping that was the easiest Easter I have ever done in 30 years.
TheTrolleyMan
Posts: 776
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by TheTrolleyMan »

A clocking on machine is definitely the answer
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by worktotime »

woody38 wrote:I think a clocking on machine is good, our delivery office has a wide catchment area, with some jobs upto 10 miles from delivery office they never come back to office so how do u now what time they finish, if everybody had to come back to the depot to sign out u would have an exalt finish time, any time owed would be but over to a beaver day when they finish later, the only problem u have with this is they would properly go home first, then come back later. All offices have trouble with runners but all the do is ruin the jobs for everybody else, more jobs flexed, jobs made bigger etc. But the Mail is dropping that was the easiest Easter I have ever done in 30 years.
im guessing you don't have p&l in your office ? , with p&l you all have to return to the office and return stuff and sign out well some of us sign out anyway , but clocking machines are the way to go I'm surprised r/m aren't pushing these in as job and knock days have gone and they want people to work there paid hours , and I totally agree with them. sooner the better imo.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by fishtank »

Come on guys, it was the Easter bank holiday weekend.
People just wanted home to their folks.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
gb93
Posts: 1462
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 16:25
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by gb93 »

Have to agree with it being the easiest easter Saturday I can remember since giving us good Friday off.
This ain't no baseball game, you get only one chance and you blew it.
woody38
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 273
Joined: 19 Apr 2016, 08:38
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by woody38 »

worktotime wrote:
woody38 wrote:I think a clocking on machine is good, our delivery office has a wide catchment area, with some jobs upto 10 miles from delivery office they never come back to office so how do u now what time they finish, if everybody had to come back to the depot to sign out u would have an exalt finish time, any time owed would be but over to a beaver day when they finish later, the only problem u have with this is they would properly go home first, then come back later. All offices have trouble with runners but all the do is ruin the jobs for everybody else, more jobs flexed, jobs made bigger etc. But the Mail is dropping that was the easiest Easter I have ever done in 30 years.
im guessing you don't have p&l in your office ? , with p&l you all have to return to the office and return stuff and sign out well some of us sign out anyway , but clocking machines are the way to go I'm surprised r/m aren't pushing these in as job and knock days have gone and they want people to work there paid hours , and I totally agree with them. sooner the better imo.
We do have park & loop they still don't come back, our callers office is going to open Sunday's, so they will have to come back Saturday's
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by number one »

Don't come back from a park and loop? What do they do with the van?
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by rubberbond »

TheTrolleyMan wrote:A clocking on machine is definitely the answer
It might be the answer in I theory, however in reality? All that will happen is those who,get dropped off home by the driver will be "clocked out" by their colleague, barely anyone I know signs out anyway,so what is the point? It isn't enforced because the management go home early as well,or are out on delivery most days.
Last edited by rubberbond on 16 Apr 2017, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by kingeric »

It was the quietest Easter Saturday in years. What do you expect people to do, go back to the office and sit there till 230?!

Everyone in my office was back before their time on Saturday. I see no problem with it. Can't believe the amount calling for clocking in machines. How sad that you'd want to take hours off yourselves and fellow colleagues.

I totally understand if it is aimed at runners etc but this was just a light day. Why should we all be punished with less pay just because there wasn't enough work.

Clocking in machines would be good for a a few people in my office though who do seem to think working till your time is you being hard done by. They kick scream and complain about lapsing and won't do it if it takes them anywhere near their time, but will come back a good 30-60mins before their time. Because they want to work till their time and not past it. Yet on a Tuesday they'll happily run round and finish nearly 2 hours before their time but they'll never ask to work till their time on those days.

While the rest of us are pretty much on our time most days. That is the only time I think these clocking machines are worthwhile. But not to punish us on light days like yesterday
grandypants
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 74
Joined: 29 Dec 2015, 21:34
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by grandypants »

gb93 wrote:Have to agree with it being the easiest easter Saturday I can remember since giving us good Friday off.

Certainly wasn't in our place machines failed on Thursday mayoral election material as well walked into 6 trays of sequenced finished 2.30 an hour over
AceMark
Posts: 50
Joined: 08 Feb 2017, 20:17
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by AceMark »

rubberbond wrote:
TheTrolleyMan wrote:A clocking on machine is definitely the answer
It might be the answer I theory, however in reality? All that will happen is those who,get dropped off home by the driver will be "clocked out" by their colleague, barely anyone I know signs out anyway,so what is the point? It isn't enforced because the management go home early as well,or are out on delivery most days.
I heard RM are looking at fingerprint technology for clocking in/out. So I wouldn't want to be the person losing a finger to get clocked out by their partner.
number one
Posts: 1324
Joined: 19 Aug 2009, 21:20
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by number one »

AceMark wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
TheTrolleyMan wrote:A clocking on machine is definitely the answer
It might be the answer I theory, however in reality? All that will happen is those who,get dropped off home by the driver will be "clocked out" by their colleague, barely anyone I know signs out anyway,so what is the point? It isn't enforced because the management go home early as well,or are out on delivery most days.
I heard RM are looking at fingerprint technology for clocking in/out. So I wouldn't want to be the person losing a finger to get clocked out by their partner.
The finger scanners are for scanning parcels. The rumours that get spread in RM are laughable.
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6698
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

Going Home Early

Post by RobertT »

number one wrote:
AceMark wrote:
rubberbond wrote:
TheTrolleyMan wrote:A clocking on machine is definitely the answer
It might be the answer I theory, however in reality? All that will happen is those who,get dropped off home by the driver will be "clocked out" by their colleague, barely anyone I know signs out anyway,so what is the point? It isn't enforced because the management go home early as well,or are out on delivery most days.
I heard RM are looking at fingerprint technology for clocking in/out. So I wouldn't want to be the person losing a finger to get clocked out by their partner.
The finger scanners are for scanning parcels. The rumours that get spread in RM are laughable.
They're talking about fingerprint clocking in and out presumably using something similar to this:
https://www.timesystemsuk.com/products/ ... 0wodAfENRg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Links to all RM pension related websites are here