ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Meal breaks
-
al64
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 04 Sep 2008, 16:45
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
Has anyone else been told that the business is now enforcing meal brakes due to doms ignoring there legal responsibility and you can not now book docket if you go over instead of taking break?
-
worktotime
- Posts: 2866
- Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
no , but its a good idea , why would posties work without a meal break to do extra work and make themselves ill ? its only like any other job. 
Last edited by worktotime on 05 Apr 2017, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
I wonder if people who don't take breaks worked through them at previous employers
-
sussexlad
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
I wonder if someone working on the tills at Tesco ever Say's " No I don't want to go for my lunch break I want to stay sat here working!"
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
Obviously not Tesco is not comparable, we get paid for our break and for the most part we have a limited amount of work each day so if we skip the break in theory we get home earlier.
Now I know it's stupid but I understand why people do it.
The business should enforce breaks to be taken because in the long run Royal Mail will pay for it when the staff member becomes burned out and goes sick.
Now I know it's stupid but I understand why people do it.
The business should enforce breaks to be taken because in the long run Royal Mail will pay for it when the staff member becomes burned out and goes sick.
-
TheTrolleyMan
- Posts: 776
- Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 15:39
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
If delivery postman switched to PROCESSING would they work their Meal Reliefs ?
-
thecompletepackage
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 03 Mar 2011, 21:28
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
I don't understand why you need a meal break after 1 and half hours of starting work? I take mine near dinner time out on duty.
-
awesomepenguin
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
Agree 100%. I start at 07:50 on a Tuesday then I am expected to take a 20 minute meal break at 09:00. Another winning idea dreamed up by DOM and CWU rep.thecompletepackage wrote:I don't understand why you need a meal break after 1 and half hours of starting work? I take mine near dinner time out on duty.
-
Darwinsdad
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
I'm not into a 'my dads bigger than your dad' thing, on paper I'm to have a 10 minute break at 0830. My start time on Mon, Tues and Fri is 0818!!!! It beggars beliefawesomepenguin wrote:Agree 100%. I start at 07:50 on a Tuesday then I am expected to take a 20 minute meal break at 09:00. Another winning idea dreamed up by DOM and CWU rep.thecompletepackage wrote:I don't understand why you need a meal break after 1 and half hours of starting work? I take mine near dinner time out on duty.
-
Anfloyd
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 16 Oct 2009, 00:04
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
When on a HCT job, I take 20 mins break before leaving the office and always book the remaining 20 mins at the end of the shift. How are you expected to take a break when you're out on the streets in persistent rain?! Plus as far as I'm concerned I am still responsible for the mail in my HCT. A break is supposed to be away from your "workstation". I've argued this fact with managers. At the moment they are still letting us book it.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
I take 20 mins off the end and leave early as per national agreement
-
clashcityrocker
- Posts: 16700
- Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: strummerville
Meal breaks
As per the working time regulations the employer can tell you when to take your break within certain provisos.
As we have collective bargaining your meal relief is scheduled as part of your revision process. It is an agreement between management and the CWU.
If you voted to take the full 40 (30) minutes prior to delivery, then you take the full 40 (30) minutes prior to delivery.
If you voted to split the meal relief then you split the meal relief.
It isn't a personal choice.
As we have collective bargaining your meal relief is scheduled as part of your revision process. It is an agreement between management and the CWU.
If you voted to take the full 40 (30) minutes prior to delivery, then you take the full 40 (30) minutes prior to delivery.
If you voted to split the meal relief then you split the meal relief.
It isn't a personal choice.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
-
awesomepenguin
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 20:14
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
If you read the section on the gov.uk website regarding Rest breaks at work it clearly states that:clashcityrocker wrote:As per the working time regulations the employer can tell you when to take your break within certain provisos.
As we have collective bargaining your meal relief is scheduled as part of your revision process. It is an agreement between management and the CWU.
If you voted to take the full 40 (30) minutes prior to delivery, then you take the full 40 (30) minutes prior to delivery.
If you voted to split the meal relief then you split the meal relief.
It isn't a personal choice.
2. Taking breaks
Employers can say when employees take rest breaks during work time as long as:
the break is taken in one go somewhere in the middle of the day (not at the beginning or end)
So quite how RM and the CWU have devised a system where people are forced to take a part of their break at the end of the shift is beyond me.
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
Because that info on direct gov is referring to your statutory break.
So for a full timer the statutory part of the break is taken somewhere in the middle (20 minutes)
And as Royal Mail provide more break than is required they can choose to let you take the remainder at the end of your shift whilst still following the guidelines.
So for a full timer the statutory part of the break is taken somewhere in the middle (20 minutes)
And as Royal Mail provide more break than is required they can choose to let you take the remainder at the end of your shift whilst still following the guidelines.
-
AceMark
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 08 Feb 2017, 20:17
- Gender: Male
Meal breaks
The problem with this is that I'm PT on P&L with a FT. FT's in our office take 20 mins before they leave and 20 at the end. Which means I have to take mine at the end of my shift. Personally I don't mind working through and finishing 20 mins early, but I assume it wouldn't be the same for others.South_London_Postie wrote:Because that info on direct gov is referring to your statutory break.
So for a full timer the statutory part of the break is taken somewhere in the middle (20 minutes)
And as Royal Mail provide more break than is required they can choose to let you take the remainder at the end of your shift whilst still following the guidelines.