ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Duty holder

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Patriots77
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 14:10
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by Patriots77 »

Hi I'm just after some information please.
In January I was off poorly and my duty was lapsed while I was off when I returned I was made aware that the manager and union rep made my walk the lapsed walk in office. I had no meeting regarding this and have been told there is nothing I can do as it's been agreed with union and manager. Surely this isn't company policy and where has the union and manager followed the so called dignity and respect.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by rehabron »

Patriots77 wrote:Hi I'm just after some information please.
In January I was off poorly and my duty was lapsed while I was off when I returned I was made aware that the manager and union rep made my walk the lapsed walk in office. I had no meeting regarding this and have been told there is nothing I can do as it's been agreed with union and manager. Surely this isn't company policy and where has the union and manager followed the so called dignity and respect.
You have not stated your period of absence and your contracted hours. Has there been a revision during your absence? Can you confirm if you are definitely the duty holder for this walk? Did you receive any communication while absent that a revision was in process ( if this is correct) and your duty has been lapsed in a revision. Your posting leaves a lot of various factors to be considered but if your signed duty has gone while you were absent and agreed with the union rep then this requires investigating and a telephone call to area rep for reason
Patriots77
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 14:10
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by Patriots77 »

Hi yes I'm definitely the duty holder and I was off for 3 weeks I'm pt 32.5 and no revision has been done just my duty was changed as I was off. I said I would never have took the duty if was going to be a lapsed duty.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by rehabron »

Patriots77 wrote:Hi yes I'm definitely the duty holder and I was off for 3 weeks I'm pt 32.5 and no revision has been done just my duty was changed as I was off. I said I would never have took the duty if was going to be a lapsed duty.
I would suggest you submit a 2nd stage individual grievance explaining your situation. A 2nd stage grievance will be copied in to the Employee Relations Team @ Pond Street, Sheffield who will appoint a manager within your area who is a higher authority level to investigate your case. Your union rep agreeing to your duty to be removed while you were off sick defies logic and is a discriminatory action and victimisation and you need to inform also the union rep at area/division level of local reps involvement in your circumstances. The IR framework could have at least been applied during your sick absence so that the status quo remains and this would have allowed you on your return to work to put up any worthwhile argument why you duty should not be lapsed. Did you successfully gain this duty through advertisement or placed as the senior p/t?
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by citypostie »

Do you mean you've been shifted off the delivery so it can be lapsed amongst the rest of the duties? It's not actually been removed just lapsed? If so this happens in our office over summer, so many people get shifted so the duties can be lapsed. It happened to me , wasn't happy so get area rep involved. Nothin could be done but i made sure I had a fixed duty while mine was lapsed and kept my same days off no matter what the delivery i was shifted onto was supposed to have. We've been told that in future any repick will include details of which rounds will be absorbed so you can pick knowing you could be shifted
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16700
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Duty holder

Post by clashcityrocker »

rehabron wrote: Your union rep agreeing to your duty to be removed while you were off sick defies logic and is a discriminatory action and victimisation and you need to inform also the union rep at area/division level of local reps involvement in your circumstances.
I fail to see how this is discrimination or victimisation.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by rehabron »

clashcityrocker wrote:
rehabron wrote: Your union rep agreeing to your duty to be removed while you were off sick defies logic and is a discriminatory action and victimisation and you need to inform also the union rep at area/division level of local reps involvement in your circumstances.
I fail to see how this is discrimination or victimisation.
On reading and interpreting the posting it came across to me and knowing how this business uses situations when an employee is off from work that they had removed his duty during his absence. There are other scenarios that when an employee has been off sick and their duty has been completed by a substitute RM use the performance of the substitute and if completed to a better standard in their eyes take great delight in informing the duty holder of this and this has happened on numerous occasions by experience. Summer lapsing was never mentioned and would have expected the duty holder to be aware of this if this was the case although it was mentioned that he would not have signed for this duty had he known that this duty was high on the lapsing list. Was this information made clear to him by his union rep that this duty he was signing for was to be lapsed again going by his post this does not seem to be the case. I thought that April was a bit premature to start summer lapsing although each office seems to have its own way of streamlining their operation. There was no mention of other duties having been lapsed other than his own and therefore took the view that this was an individual case of lapsing in response to his absenteeism which has been done before and therefore I took the line of discrimination and victimisation.
This can be eventually cleared up by a second posting giving more information if his duty has been part of others that have been lapsed in accordance with effective summer lapsing and streamlining of duties.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by rehabron »

If " Patriots 77" had not gone off sick for 3 weeks and giving RM the opportunity to having adequately covered the duty by absorbing and not having to place a substitute would this duty have still been operating? It may have eventually become subject to lapsing but they have used his sickness which is to me sending out a message if you go sick their is the high possibility on your back to work interview to find that your duty no longer exists. So don't GO SICK!!!
Patriots77
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 14:10
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by Patriots77 »

Hi cheers for all the information I've also been notified that the cover men have been getting messed around on my duty whilst I was of so it's not just me that it's happening to. And the lapse duty was just put on me not on my return to work.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by fishtank »

It isn't discrimination or victimisation.
It's a bit nasty by the manager and piss poor from the rep. What should happen in a summer resource meeting is that once a delivery has been identified a discussion should take place between the manager , rep and duty holder to identify a substitute duty for the period of summer resourcing. This would usually be a vacant duty. Ask your rep for an explanation, if you don't get one contact your branch.

Make it clear you are not fighting the choice of lapsing duty ( you're unlikely to win that one ) but the lack of discussion over alternative arrangements for the duty holder.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
citypostie
Posts: 895
Joined: 08 Apr 2009, 19:42
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by citypostie »

fishtank wrote:It isn't discrimination or victimisation.
It's a bit nasty by the manager and piss poor from the rep. What should happen in a summer resource meeting is that once a delivery has been identified a discussion should take place between the manager , rep and duty holder to identify a substitute duty for the period of summer resourcing. This would usually be a vacant duty. Ask your rep for an explanation, if you don't get one contact your branch.

Make it clear you are not fighting the choice of lapsing duty ( you're unlikely to win that one ) but the lack of discussion over alternative arrangements for the duty holder.
Thats what they did to me, i was on leave and got a call to tell me my duty was getting lapsed over summer and the rep had agreed to it. I cobtacted area rep straight away and kicked up a fuss. It still happened but i got a cushty duty for the summer and my same days off or alternate ones if i wanted to change them
Patriots77
Posts: 6
Joined: 20 Oct 2015, 14:10
Gender: Male

Duty holder

Post by Patriots77 »

Definitely going to kick up a fuss as it's just getting worse. The reason I have been informed is that the original duties that were lapsed duties 1 they can't touch the other which I pointed out was the lapse duty last summer and still they won't listen. I have contacted my area rep twice and even asked him face to face but cannot get a straight answer from anyone. Where do I take this now if the area rep won't reply or advise.