ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by hewittinspain »

I've always wondered what it was like years ago before the internet when letters were up, not so many parcels and two deliveries per day. I could always ask a collegue but then I don't want to wreck their brains with all my questions so i'm hoping some of you can help me get an understanding of what it was like compared to nowadays.

1. Start and finish times (I understand each office varies) but as there was no sequenced mail was there more time spent indoors than outdoors as volumes of mail was clearly higher which means more sorting?. I guess "Job and Knock" was the norm back then, when you finished you could just go home??
2. How long were the rounds? Now we are out for 4-5hrs and walk probably over 10 miles a day, was this much less back then? Was this say a 2-3 hour walk??
3. How did you get to your rounds? I presume you had a driver to drop you off and then he would drop your bags off at bag boxes but then how would that work when you needed to be picked up and go back out on 2nd delivery? Or was it more use of bikes, buses and your own car?
4. When mail was up 25yrs ago, does that mean the call rate was closer to 100% most days or more letters per household? What about packets? Im also guessing you rarely knocked on someones door seeing as there were no 1pm SD's, tracked or recorded back then.Also did you always get one light day such as a Tuesday or was every day equal?
5. Door to doors. Did you still get a few of those per week to deliver back then?
6.Second delivery? How long did this normally take after already doing one walk? Im guessing that rounds were shorter because you had this second delivery and had to walk around the round again?

Thanks for taking the time. I've only been a postman since park and loop came in and paired up.
Darwinsdad
Posts: 78
Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by Darwinsdad »

A few months ago I read a book titled 'While You Were Out' by Stan DuBonnet (free on Kindle at the time). How true it is I don't know, but it should answer all your above questions, and open your eyes to what's going on around you in your office
seaside
Posts: 266
Joined: 31 May 2013, 18:51
Gender: Female

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by seaside »

6am - 13.24pm mon - fri, sat 6.am - 10.30 am. most at our office would be done before 1pm. SATURDAY EVERYONE WOULD BE DONE BY 10 AM. out on delivery at 7.30, back at office for 9.30, break til 10.am , and then out on 2nd delivery for 11am. average walk would have been 1 hour and half. With senior dutys being 1 hour and worst walks being 2 hours.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by arnold cheshire »

There was specials 12 and recorded 27years ago
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by hewittinspain »

Darwinsdad wrote:A few months ago I read a book titled 'While You Were Out' by Stan DuBonnet (free on Kindle at the time). How true it is I don't know, but it should answer all your above questions, and open your eyes to what's going on around you in your office
Actually just looked into that. i'll see if I can get it.
redheadedwoman
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 132
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 14:58
Gender: Female

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by redheadedwoman »

hewittinspain wrote:I've always wondered what it was like years ago before the internet when letters were up, not so many parcels and two deliveries per day. I could always ask a collegue but then I don't want to wreck their brains with all my questions so i'm hoping some of you can help me get an understanding of what it was like compared to nowadays.

1. Start and finish times (I understand each office varies) but as there was no sequenced mail was there more time spent indoors than outdoors as volumes of mail was clearly higher which means more sorting?. I guess "Job and Knock" was the norm back then, when you finished you could just go home??
When I first joined(31 years ago)it was Mon-Fri 06-00-1330 Sat 0600-11-00 I had a grey delivery sack which would carry my whole walk in.
2. How long were the rounds? Now we are out for 4-5hrs and walk probably over 10 miles a day, was this much less back then? Was this say a 2-3 hour walk??
We had Two deliveries then the senior men had the best walks the junior boys the crap.My walk was about 2 hours for the first delivery and the second had more streets on it but we took out very little mail could finish it in about a hour.
3. How did you get to your rounds? I presume you had a driver to drop you off and then he would drop your bags off at bag boxes but then how would that work when you needed to be picked up and go back out on 2nd delivery? Or was it more use of bikes, buses and your own car?
I walked to my first delivery point(10 mins)and would use my car on the second.
4. When mail was up 25yrs ago, does that mean the call rate was closer to 100% most days or more letters per household? What about packets? I'm also guessing you rarely knocked on someones door seeing as there were no 1pm SD's, tracked or recorded back then.Also did you always get one light day such as a Tuesday or was every day equal?
We as good as went to every door on the first delivery as we sorted pretty much all the available mail and yes we had special deliveries and recordeds then along with a fair few packets.Tuesdays was always a light day.
5. Door to doors. Did you still get a few of those per week to deliver back then?
I think we had them and we got paid to do them as well about 1p per item I think we also had what we called Rebate Mail which was sort of junk mail which most of us just left in our side frame where we would get overtime to clear it.
6.Second delivery? How long did this normally take after already doing one walk? Im guessing that rounds were shorter because you had this second delivery and had to walk around the round again?
About 50 mins at the most even though you had a bigger second delivery everything went out on the first and fingers crossed only a few bags would come in for the second delivery.
We would call our first delivery the GP the second The Irish.
In those days we had posties on thru duties(nights)who would sort most of the work through the night so when we all came in at 06-00 there was only a small amount of IPS to do.
We would clear in about 06-40 and throw of your work set it in(no RM2000 frames in thoes days)do your redirections tie up and out the door no later then 07-30-08-00.
Most customers would still be in so you got rid of most of your work.
The job was great then even though some of the walks were s**t most of us were finished by 12-00 overtime was plenty every one made time and the managemet were sweet.
When I started we had about 55 walks,6 night duties,6 driving duties,3 phgs 3 managers 16 reserves and our own canteen.

I am not at that office anymore but i know there are only 24 walks,no night duties,2 phgs 2 managers not sure about reserves and NO canteen.

Thanks for taking the time. I've only been a postman since park and loop came in and paired up.
noggin1969
Posts: 1321
Joined: 13 Oct 2009, 17:28
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by noggin1969 »

Can only talk from my experiences at our office
Start time 04.30 F/T 6.00 P/T but longer working week back then 45hrs if I remember right and 6 day week.
On delivery about 6.30/7 ( no knocking on doors before 7am ) empty town boxes on way back to D.O back for 9.30 , meal relief , face up out going mail from boxes , sort 2nd delivery out for 11 , empty the town boxes on way back to D.O , task and finish.
Most of office on bikes , rurals out in vans ( Escorts , Metros , Daf and I think we had an old Armoured Commer van for the REM run.
Most deliveries fitted in one pouch ( but no weight limits , if you could lift it it went on the carrier ) town centre walks had more pouches but just nipped back to the D.O as it was central to town
R/D's and Specials recorded in a little orange book you carried with you.
Mondays were the normal light days
Very few D2D's and you had 2 weeks to get rid of them , Rebate ( mailsort ) had to be gone by the Friday but you only took them if you was going to the call with 1st or 2nd class.
Also a lot more night staff , all of whom smoked. So when the door opened on the dot of 4.25 it was like London smog in there.
Last edited by noggin1969 on 31 Mar 2017, 18:22, edited 2 times in total.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by fishtank »

The customers were prettier.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
postmanplod69
Posts: 146
Joined: 04 Sep 2007, 21:52
Location: at my frame

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by postmanplod69 »

My office Start 0545 finish time was 13.24, think we were on 41.5 hours then.
Special deliveries were called registered letters back in the day.
My office was always a foot delivery no bikes, buses up to the walk and normally just 1 extra pouch which a driver dropped off at a designated point normally a shop or a drop box.
Normally on delivery for 7.30am last letter 9.50am back in office for 10.15 break 1020 till 10.50 then 2nd delivery was normally on walk for 11.15 at very latest and done for 12pm.
Saturdays 0545 start supposed to be 10.50 am finish but used to be done for 9.30 at the very latest, but the downside we did work 6 day weeks back in the day Oh and rebate in my office on the saturday could be left until the monday.
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by DiamondSmiles »

For special deliveries we just had a slip of a bit of paper to get the customer to sign and recorded deliveries went into an orange book. If it rained you could kiss goodbye to these things as they disintegrated into mush. It was much easier then however you did only get the Sunday off. Most of the managers were decent back then.
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by DiamondSmiles »

fishtank wrote:The customers were prettier.
True, you got to see some sights getting customers out of bed at 7am :Very Happy
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by daveyeff »

DiamondSmiles wrote:
fishtank wrote:The customers were prettier.
True, you got to see some sights getting customers out of bed at 7am :Very Happy
a young lass came to the door breastfeeding the bairn yesterday when I had a parcel for her. she never batted an eyelid. :Very Happy
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by hewittinspain »

redheadedwoman wrote:
hewittinspain wrote:I've always wondered what it was like years ago before the internet when letters were up, not so many parcels and two deliveries per day. I could always ask a collegue but then I don't want to wreck their brains with all my questions so i'm hoping some of you can help me get an understanding of what it was like compared to nowadays.

1. Start and finish times (I understand each office varies) but as there was no sequenced mail was there more time spent indoors than outdoors as volumes of mail was clearly higher which means more sorting?. I guess "Job and Knock" was the norm back then, when you finished you could just go home??
When I first joined(31 years ago)it was Mon-Fri 06-00-1330 Sat 0600-11-00 I had a grey delivery sack which would carry my whole walk in.
2. How long were the rounds? Now we are out for 4-5hrs and walk probably over 10 miles a day, was this much less back then? Was this say a 2-3 hour walk??
We had Two deliveries then the senior men had the best walks the junior boys the crap.My walk was about 2 hours for the first delivery and the second had more streets on it but we took out very little mail could finish it in about a hour.
3. How did you get to your rounds? I presume you had a driver to drop you off and then he would drop your bags off at bag boxes but then how would that work when you needed to be picked up and go back out on 2nd delivery? Or was it more use of bikes, buses and your own car?
I walked to my first delivery point(10 mins)and would use my car on the second.
4. When mail was up 25yrs ago, does that mean the call rate was closer to 100% most days or more letters per household? What about packets? I'm also guessing you rarely knocked on someones door seeing as there were no 1pm SD's, tracked or recorded back then.Also did you always get one light day such as a Tuesday or was every day equal?
We as good as went to every door on the first delivery as we sorted pretty much all the available mail and yes we had special deliveries and recordeds then along with a fair few packets.Tuesdays was always a light day.
5. Door to doors. Did you still get a few of those per week to deliver back then?
I think we had them and we got paid to do them as well about 1p per item I think we also had what we called Rebate Mail which was sort of junk mail which most of us just left in our side frame where we would get overtime to clear it.
6.Second delivery? How long did this normally take after already doing one walk? Im guessing that rounds were shorter because you had this second delivery and had to walk around the round again?
About 50 mins at the most even though you had a bigger second delivery everything went out on the first and fingers crossed only a few bags would come in for the second delivery.
We would call our first delivery the GP the second The Irish.
In those days we had posties on thru duties(nights)who would sort most of the work through the night so when we all came in at 06-00 there was only a small amount of IPS to do.
We would clear in about 06-40 and throw of your work set it in(no RM2000 frames in thoes days)do your redirections tie up and out the door no later then 07-30-08-00.
Most customers would still be in so you got rid of most of your work.
The job was great then even though some of the walks were s**t most of us were finished by 12-00 overtime was plenty every one made time and the managemet were sweet.
When I started we had about 55 walks,6 night duties,6 driving duties,3 phgs 3 managers 16 reserves and our own canteen.

I am not at that office anymore but i know there are only 24 walks,no night duties,2 phgs 2 managers not sure about reserves and NO canteen.

Thanks for taking the time. I've only been a postman since park and loop came in and paired up.
Thanks for your reply
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by Darren Bent »

Do they have floating week off perk ?
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

So what was it like being a postman 25 years ago?

Post by postslippete »

You always got "morning postman"
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.