ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Injured myself while working... should I still get paid?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

Injured myself while working... should I still get paid?

Post by Smir »

I'm within my 6 months probation

I have I njured myself on a Monday, had a rest day on Tuesday went in on Wednesday explained it still hurt and got a bit of my round taken away, didn't help much pain wise, but manage to finish on time (as I started I might not get finished due to going slower) went in on Thursday and said I needed to go doctors as it wasn't getting better, I started at 6.30 so through off my round and called doctors at 8, and did part of the delivery until I had to leave for the doctors.

Then get the letter on the Friday, stating that my pay goes to zero pay or something, believe it's the standard letter by Royal Mail..

So I'll have to go into work, risk further injuring just so I can pay by bills..

Anyone have any advise?

On a side note, I do enjoy my job and would rather be at work, but the pain become to much.
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 360
Joined: 21 Jun 2011, 13:44
Gender: Male

Injured myself while working... should I still get paid?

Post by osgoody1970 »

are you in the union? if so , get your rep on it, accidents on duty, should not count as official time off.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Injured myself while working... should I still get paid?

Post by joewyan »

Smir wrote:I'm within my 6 months probation

I have I njured myself on a Monday, had a rest day on Tuesday went in on Wednesday explained it still hurt and got a bit of my round taken away, didn't help much pain wise, but manage to finish on time (as I started I might not get finished due to going slower) went in on Thursday and said I needed to go doctors as it wasn't getting better, I started at 6.30 so through off my round and called doctors at 8, and did part of the delivery until I had to leave for the doctors.

Then get the letter on the Friday, stating that my pay goes to zero pay or something, believe it's the standard letter by Royal Mail..

So I'll have to go into work, risk further injuring just so I can pay by bills..

Anyone have any advise?

On a side note, I do enjoy my job and would rather be at work, but the pain become to much.

Did you report the incident at work and have an accident form completed and were you following company procedures when it happened?
Smir
Posts: 124
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 16:48
Gender: Male

Injured myself while working... should I still get paid?

Post by Smir »

joewyan wrote:Did you report the incident at work and have an accident form completed and were you following company procedures when it happened?
I did report it, called up as soon as it happened as it was going to slow me down as I wasn't able to take bags around little loops, and had to push the trolly with me at all times, but when I got back to the office I just wanted to get home as the next day was my rest day, he did say something like "there's loads of paperwork to fill out" and I said see how I fill on Wednesday, but it was still bad, and I explained I want to do the paperwork, and that I wouldn't be able to finish, and that's when I had a bit of the round taken off, and when I got back to the office the manager wasn't there, so went in On Wednesday and the manager wasn't in, someone was covering for another office, and I explained that I hurt myself Monday, and really wanted to go to the Doctors, he seemed fine by it, and I haven't been in since that morning, I've spoken to the manager every morning to state I wasn't going it as the procedure.
osgoody1970 wrote:are you in the union? if so , get your rep on it, accidents on duty, should not count as official time off.
Yeah I am, but for the past 2 months I've been working in another office, so don't really have much of a relationship with the union guy there.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Injured myself while working... should I still get paid?

Post by rehabron »

Smir wrote:
joewyan wrote:Did you report the incident at work and have an accident form completed and were you following company procedures when it happened?
I did report it, called up as soon as it happened as it was going to slow me down as I wasn't able to take bags around little loops, and had to push the trolly with me at all times, but when I got back to the office I just wanted to get home as the next day was my rest day, he did say something like "there's loads of paperwork to fill out" and I said see how I fill on Wednesday, but it was still bad, and I explained I want to do the paperwork, and that I wouldn't be able to finish, and that's when I had a bit of the round taken off, and when I got back to the office the manager wasn't there, so went in On Wednesday and the manager wasn't in, someone was covering for another office, and I explained that I hurt myself Monday, and really wanted to go to the Doctors, he seemed fine by it, and I haven't been in since that morning, I've spoken to the manager every morning to state I wasn't going it as the procedure.
osgoody1970 wrote:are you in the union? if so , get your rep on it, accidents on duty, should not count as official time off.
Yeah I am, but for the past 2 months I've been working in another office, so don't really have much of a relationship with the union guy there.
You need to have an ERICA completed pronto. Should have been done within 24/48 hours.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Injured myself while working... should I still get paid?

Post by bustedflush »

Unfortunately the OP is SOL'd. You won't get paid a cent until you've done 12 months. Under any circumstances. I know this because after 10 months I was seriously injured in a no-fault van crash, as a passenger to another colleague who didn't see a truck parked in front of him and wrote the van (and nearly me) off. This happened 1 week before Christmas. Even the manager felt sorry for me and rang Sheffield and explained, no can do they said. So I had a MINUS payslip after Christmas and felt forced to come back on light duties to get money coming in again.

I later got an interim compensation payment from the company 3 months before they settled, and the union solicitors asked for my wage slips and claimed the unpaid weeks back to what I would have been paid if I had worked normally and had no time off. So I got it all back.

Not relevant to the OP mainly, but it shows how intransigent the company are with this 12 month sick pay rule. You can be there 6 months, 9 or 11 months and the company almost kills you, but oh no! even though we're at fault we'll stick to the 12 month rule and leave you in severe pain and skint to boot.

Sickness I can understand, but surely they should use discretion when it comes to no-fault workplace incidents that result in absence. But they won't. Sorry to tell you.