ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Rolling Days Off

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
tessa
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 11:18
Gender: Male

Rolling Days Off

Post by tessa »

Just got a new DOM the office, who,s just done a mini revision of duties. With my duty he wants me to have a fixed day off, Monday. I find this completely unfair, I will never get a long weekend. When the 5 day week and fixed duties was introduced into our office, it was agreed with the then DOM all full time fixed duties should have rolling days off ie Monday one week, Tuesday the next etc, every six weeks you would get a long weekend.
Had a word with my union rep , told him I don,t want a fixed day off, he tells me this new DOM just says if I dont like it tough, sign for a different duty. In other words he is throwing out any agreement we had with any pervious DOM and the union rep just seems to let him or says he can,t do anything about it. So the DOM looks he can get away with it .
After 39 years in the union, why am i still in it, I wonder.!!!
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Rolling Days Off

Post by Darren Bent »

Ask for Area Rep to see if he/she can challenge it.
tessa
Posts: 6
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 11:18
Gender: Male

Rolling Days Off

Post by tessa »

Already done that, he says the DOM is just going to enforce a fixed day off. I thought it is a national agreement somewhere, all full time 5 day fixed duties should have rolling days off.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Rolling Days Off

Post by postslippete »

Sounds like your DOM is trying to bend the rules. If other staff have not got a fixed day off every week, and you have, there must surely be good grounds for a grievance and I'm guessing your Area Rep would probably tell you to do this.

Why else would you be given every Monday off if you have not asked for it specifically??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Rolling Days Off

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Perhaps you could meet him halfway? I'd be happy with a fixed Monday (as it's normally heavy and you "Start" the week on an easy Tuesday). However suggest that every 6 weeks you'd like a Saturday (plus the following Monday off). Would that suit you? Perhaps it might fit in with his plans. :hmmmm

I used to get messed about as a Reserve with different days on different weeks, but I did negotiate (and get) a 1 in 6 Saturday off. Which I think is only fair. If that's no good for you I'd keep pushing it up the Union Ladder, as suggested. Good luck. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)