ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Trainers/shoes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sickofthejob
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 May 2012, 19:17
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by sickofthejob »

I need some new trainers/shoes, I have bad knee and plantar etc. My last trainers were very supportive (NB trainers) but they weren't waterproof.Which ones do my fellow posties recommend?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by aiden01 »

sickofthejob wrote:I need some new trainers/shoes, I have bad knee and plantar etc. My last trainers were very supportive (NB trainers) but they weren't waterproof.Which ones do my fellow posties recommend?
I personally recommend karrimoor trainers. But remember RM pay £30 towards any trainers you have to buy yourself as long as you have a doctors note or a podiatrists note.
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by stodgy88 »

Merrell Moab Gore-Tex, ,brilliant waterproof,lightweight,and soles last for months on end,just bought another pair off amazon ,£60,heard the help with payment will end in july,and a choice of 4 trainers will be given,if not happy will have to pay for your own.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by kingeric »

The business really is a joke when it comes to uniform.

They've given us these 2 options of YDS and anvil trainers. Neither are great but for me the YDS are the lesser evil. I ordered a pair 4/5months after my previous pair and was told that I had gone over my allowance. Now bearing in mind we walk around 12-15miles a day, how long do they expect us to have these for?

Now I'm due another pair of trainers and for nearly 4 weeks they've had none in stock. For 3 weeks they've only had YDS is sizes 14 or 15. It's not good enough really.
Lynch
Posts: 8
Joined: 31 Jan 2017, 17:50
Gender: Female

Trainers/shoes

Post by Lynch »

Hi

How did you hear that the payment will end in July and a choice of four?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I've had Plantars and can sypathise. I personally find the YDS a better choice (and they are waterproof). I wouldn't bother buying expensive Gucci Trainers as we go through them so quickly. I used to years ago but now I'm not spending my own hard earned cash on work shoes.

Good news with Plantars is ... it normally sorts itself after a year or so (I know that sounds a long time) until then it's plenty of stretching, Brufen & Paracetamol :sad: If you need trainers (and you've used your allocation) your DOM can authorise a new pair (believe he has to phone Uniforms). Don't get fobbed off he can, and he should, authorise them. It's not his money FFS! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Stewface
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 18:12
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by Stewface »

YDS trainer were the better by far, however these have been stopped unless you are size 14 or 15. There is a substitute Trainer in the pipeline, but as yet no timescale for this. I've tried the all the other options but they are all uncomfortable. I have a pair of YDS, and I'll have to keep wearing these until the new ones are available.
I would say at least 50% of posties in my office wear their own trainers, but most don't even claim money for them as its too much hassle to jump through the hoops to make the claim. I spoke to one postie, who got the doctors letter and gave receipt in and was still waiting 3 months to get the cash back, he had been reminding the DOM weekly, but was getting tired and found it too much grief and hassle for just £30. £30 is 3 hours work to me.........
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Stewface wrote:YDS trainer were the better by far, however these have been stopped unless you are size 14 or 15. There is a substitute Trainer in the pipeline, but as yet no timescale for this.
Well that's news to me, but sounds about right. Finally find some Royal Mail footwear that agrees with me and they discontinue it! :arrrghhh Mind you if those replacement trainers are the new Doc Martin Boots, that we've seen photos of, they look pretty good. The guys that were trialing them said they were pretty comfortable as well. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by stodgy88 »

Regarding the stopping of payments,was told by the bloke at office who deals with processing the payments.
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by Justanotherstar »

Reebok do some good Goretex trainers...robust enough for the job, light enough not to ruin your legs, they look similar to uniform issue too :thumbup
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Trainers/shoes

Post by NewPostieUK »

kingeric wrote: They've given us these 2 options of YDS and anvil trainers.
There are Dr Marten boots and shoes, and Cat boots, all of which are better than the Anvil and YDS trainers.

Anyway, people with foot tissues should be more concerned with which insoles to use, unless of course you get them from the NHS.
kingeric
Posts: 133
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 13:45
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by kingeric »

NewPostieUK wrote:
kingeric wrote: They've given us these 2 options of YDS and anvil trainers.
There are Dr Marten boots and shoes, and Cat boots, all of which are better than the Anvil and YDS trainers.

Anyway, people with foot tissues should be more concerned with which insoles to use, unless of course you get them from the NHS.
I can't wear shoes or boots while walking that amount of time. I need something lighter and more athletic than some clumpy heavy things.

Any news on when the other options will be available?
sickofthejob
Posts: 52
Joined: 18 May 2012, 19:17
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by sickofthejob »

I could do with something lighter, yds trainers play havoc with my knee at the end of the day.
stodgy88
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 641
Joined: 14 Nov 2008, 20:11
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by stodgy88 »

Merrell Moab Gore-Tex, ,brilliant waterproof,lightweight
JKSmudge
Posts: 395
Joined: 26 Mar 2015, 13:39
Gender: Male

Trainers/shoes

Post by JKSmudge »

For plantar faciatis, try these ;-

http://www.shoeinsoles.co.uk/sof-sole-p ... 0wod5SUL5w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

worked wonders for me.