ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Notice Period

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Foster91
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Dec 2015, 20:29
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by Foster91 »

Hello

Sorry to start another topic about notice periods. But all the older topics state that a Postman's notice period is one week, however my contract quite clearly states four weeks.

''Sec 13.2 - If you wish to leave Royal Mail employment you must give four week's notice if weekly paid or one month's notice if monthly paid. Royal Mail may waive this notice either in whole or part.''

I was issued the contract in November 2015. I'm going to ask my manager tomorrow to confirm, but just thought it strange how every post on here seems to give it as one week. Is four weeks the official stance but in practice it's one week?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice Period

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Are you paid monthly or weekly.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice Period

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

My own contract states 1 week so it might have changed since.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Notice Period

Post by k979aaa »

Foster91 wrote:Hello

Sorry to start another topic about notice periods. But all the older topics state that a Postman's notice period is one week, however my contract quite clearly states four weeks.

''Sec 13.2 - If you wish to leave Royal Mail employment you must give four week's notice if weekly paid or one month's notice if monthly paid. Royal Mail may waive this notice either in whole or part.''

I was issued the contract in November 2015. I'm going to ask my manager tomorrow to confirm, but just thought it strange how every post on here seems to give it as one week. Is four weeks the official stance but in practice it's one week?
If you get paid weekly should only be a weeks notice are RM expecting posties to not work for three weeks without wages seams like modern day slavery too me I would ignore that part of your contract and go to your new job.
Foster91
Posts: 2
Joined: 13 Dec 2015, 20:29
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by Foster91 »

I get paid weekly. Just a standard postie :wink: . Thanks for the information guys!
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by Altrider »

! week...That's all I gave.
And that's why I'm now happier bunny. :nana Good luck in the big, bad world. There is life after Royal Mail!
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by meercat »

Foster91 wrote:Hello

Sorry to start another topic about notice periods. But all the older topics state that a Postman's notice period is one week, however my contract quite clearly states four weeks.

''Sec 13.2 - If you wish to leave Royal Mail employment you must give four week's notice if weekly paid or one month's notice if monthly paid. Royal Mail may waive this notice either in whole or part.''

I was issued the contract in November 2015. I'm going to ask my manager tomorrow to confirm, but just thought it strange how every post on here seems to give it as one week. Is four weeks the official stance but in practice it's one week?

Errr that is the same period - there are only four weeks IN a month!!

That must be a typo in your contract - they obviously meant one weeks notice.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice Period

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

It might not be a typo. In contract law One month and four weeks are different.

If I handed my notice in today the 2 different dates would be:

One month: 3 Apr 2016

4 Weeks: 31 March 2016

Its only 4 days but.............
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
letter9812
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Dec 2016, 21:06
Gender: Female

Notice Period

Post by letter9812 »

Hello,

Did you ever get an answer to this? As my contract states the same; four weeks if paid weekly or a month if paid monthly. Since working at RM ive seen a few people come and go and they all only seem to give a weeks notice. :arrrghhh

Thanks :Very Happy
Newbie001
Posts: 474
Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by Newbie001 »

4 weeks notice is fairly new and applies to newer contracts. Most existing staff only have to give 1 weeks notice.
Listonosz
Posts: 49
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 20:21
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by Listonosz »

Let's say it's four weeks notice but you only give a weeks notice, what they gonna do, sack ya? I'd just give them a weeks notice
Stewface
Posts: 47
Joined: 01 Feb 2015, 18:12
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by Stewface »

I got my contract 28th July 2015, and sec 13.2 states 1 week if paid weekly.

''Sec 13.2 - If you wish to leave Royal Mail employment you must give 1 week notice if weekly paid or one month's notice if monthly paid. Royal Mail may waive this notice either in whole or part.''
UsernameAlreadyInUse
Posts: 29
Joined: 06 Jul 2015, 00:10
Gender: Female

Notice Period

Post by UsernameAlreadyInUse »

The contracts were changed towards the end of 2015. It used to be one week's notice but for those who have joined since the end of 2015, it's four weeks.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by woopesh »

Listonosz wrote:Let's say it's four weeks notice but you only give a weeks notice, what they gonna do, sack ya? I'd just give them a weeks notice
They could shaft you regarding references.
Northblue82
Posts: 26
Joined: 28 Sep 2015, 19:01
Gender: Male

Notice Period

Post by Northblue82 »

Handed mine in last week and go on Friday.