ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Leaving packets with neighbour?
-
angelcakes8791
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 02 Dec 2016, 23:15
- Gender: Female
Leaving packets with neighbour?
What's everyone's opinions on leaving packets with a neighbour or putting it somewhere safe just to get rid of it?
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Don't do either just post a 739 card.angelcakes8791 wrote:What's everyone's opinions on leaving packets with a neighbour or putting it somewhere safe just to get rid of it?
You cant get dismissed for a docket but you can for the other two if they lie and say they haven't had it. Not worth it
-
angelcakes8791
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 02 Dec 2016, 23:15
- Gender: Female
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Just thought I would ask cos I'm quite new but the fellas I work with have both said that they leave them all the time and not to bring anything back
But I don't want to risk it anymore
But I don't want to risk it anymore
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Leaving things with neighbours is the new RM standard and preferred to P738. I can't imagine anything happening if the package went missing and you claimed to have left it with a neighbour but still, you should think whether it is appropriate or not.
I generally don't leaving things anywhere but for a few select customers who I know get on I will leave things with them.
I generally don't leaving things anywhere but for a few select customers who I know get on I will leave things with them.
-
visigoth
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 22 Oct 2009, 00:07
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Never mind what customers say - only use somewhere "safe" if YOU are 100% happy it is. The volume of parcels I see left by other companies never ceases to amaze me. Fortunately I'm too lazy to start flogging them on ebay. ;)
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
If a customer writes a note asking me to leave it in a "safe place" I take a photo of the note at the time of delivery.
I do not do signed for for neighbours because when I asked various managers I got told "I think it's alright but not sure" which in my book means - can you increase first time deliveries but you are in trouble if it goes wrong.
Never door step you only have to look at the cardboard parcels left by our competitors in puddles and soaked through by rain for a week while people are on holidays to realise it's not right.
I will knock on a neighbours door if it doesn't involve a big walk but if I sense they are not keen to take it/ friendly with the parcel owner I take it back every time.
Knock on the and door start writing a 739 while you wait for a response.
I do not do signed for for neighbours because when I asked various managers I got told "I think it's alright but not sure" which in my book means - can you increase first time deliveries but you are in trouble if it goes wrong.
Never door step you only have to look at the cardboard parcels left by our competitors in puddles and soaked through by rain for a week while people are on holidays to realise it's not right.
I will knock on a neighbours door if it doesn't involve a big walk but if I sense they are not keen to take it/ friendly with the parcel owner I take it back every time.
Knock on the and door start writing a 739 while you wait for a response.
-
South_London_Postie
- Posts: 306
- Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
The problem with "customers" giving permission to leave parcels is they are not in fact the customer the sender is the person who has a contract with us and only they can request which service is suitable not the recipient!. Card them and bring it back to the DO.
-
Sir Henry
- Posts: 1316
- Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
There are several customers who have left signed letters with posties at the d.o. saying they give their permission for their stuff to be left in blue bins etc. The screws have said this is hunky dory but oddly enough will NOT put their names on the letter to say as much.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
It's a can of worms AngelCakes (like the name). Take whatever you're told by your colleagues with a pinch of salt. Some Posties really fly by the seat of their pants, and that's great until something goes wrong. Royal Mail likes to encourage "Deliver to Neighbours" because it increases the rate of 1st time delivery, it also helps your Manager's Bonus, so he's going to push it (especially with Tracked Items). However as soon as something goes wrong......you are in the shite. 
Better to play by "Our" rules. Start Knocking & Ringing, if no immediate indication that someone's in (i.e"Hang on I'm coming"), start writing out the 739 (red card). You can also enter all the details on the PDA up to the signing stage (you can always back track if you need to). This saves you time, as you're waiting anyway. IF someone answers I'll tear up the 739 and give it to them (as if to say answer quicker next time) and with a smile say, "You have a parcel that needs signing for"
If no one answers you've already filled in the 739 (saving you time) you have to back track on the PDA several screens (ask if you're not sure) but it's saved you time if someone is in, hit No Answer, and you're done. Don't trust neighbours unless you've been on the duty before and may have been told by the customer, "Please leave any parcels next door". Even then it's your prerogative.
Better to play by "Our" rules. Start Knocking & Ringing, if no immediate indication that someone's in (i.e"Hang on I'm coming"), start writing out the 739 (red card). You can also enter all the details on the PDA up to the signing stage (you can always back track if you need to). This saves you time, as you're waiting anyway. IF someone answers I'll tear up the 739 and give it to them (as if to say answer quicker next time) and with a smile say, "You have a parcel that needs signing for"
If no one answers you've already filled in the 739 (saving you time) you have to back track on the PDA several screens (ask if you're not sure) but it's saved you time if someone is in, hit No Answer, and you're done. Don't trust neighbours unless you've been on the duty before and may have been told by the customer, "Please leave any parcels next door". Even then it's your prerogative.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Delivery to neighbour takes time, if I have time I do it, if we are running late or have told them we are cutting off I don't even consider it as we are up against it already.
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Exactly what I do, I have found though repetitive requests with the same neighbours are touching a nerve with some now politely refusing.Surreypostie wrote:Delivery to neighbour takes time, if I have time I do it, if we are running late or have told them we are cutting off I don't even consider it as we are up against it already.
-
fly-catchers
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 573
- Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
I love the way some neighbours say via a Royal Mail nominate a neighbour card at the sorting office to try a particular neighbour. When you do you can tell that neighbour has had no idea he/she has been nominated!
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
-
theargyspy
- Posts: 252
- Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: UK
Leaving packets with neighbour?
Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
I don't think you have this the right way round, as far as my experience goes, more and more of the neighbours are getting cheesed off with the constant knocking of couriers, etc. Asking if they can take in a packet for a neigbour. One house I knocked at, the guy who answered the door ( Who in the past has quite happily taken in packets for neighbours) asked me not to knock again unless the packet was for him, he works from home and has answered the door four times already that morning with requests from couriers & he was not getting any work done
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
-
Gazza47
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 09:17
- Gender: Male
Leaving packets with neighbour?
That's just one person you write on the frame log not to go there, it's simple but do you stop trying neighbours on all your round just for one person? Seems to me a lot of people look for excuses not to do something rather than just getting on with it.theargyspy wrote:Gazza47 wrote:From someone coming into the organisation from other delivery providers, Royal Mail cannot and will not exist in the future if posties refuse for whatever reason to try neighbours when delivering parcels.
I don't think you have this the right way round, as far as my experience goes, more and more of the neighbours are getting cheesed off with the constant knocking of couriers, etc. Asking if they can take in a packet for a neigbour. One house I knocked at, the guy who answered the door ( Who in the past has quite happily taken in packets for neighbours) asked me not to knock again unless the packet was for him, he works from home and has answered the door four times already that morning with requests from couriers & he was not getting any work done