ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bb193
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Mar 2017, 10:24
Gender: Male

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Post by bb193 »

I started working as a 25 hour P-T Postie about 3 weeks ago, after retiring at 55 from working in IT the public sector. I’m enjoying it a lot, although the challenge of learning how to be a postie, learning all the routes and also trying to increase my fitness after a career sitting in front of a computer is huge – respect to all posties! I’m obviously also a newbie to this forum, so apologies if I am asking stuff that has been asked before etc.

Anyway, I’m trying to work out how annual leave is managed in the RMG – can anyone help? Can I see my annual leave allowance/usage online anywhere (I haven’t got any accounts setup yet)? Or do I just have to ask my manager and keep a track of how much I have got/used (e.g. on paper)?

Also, I’m obviously starting April with the standard 22 ½ days. I understand it is possible to ‘buy’ extra leave up to the maximum of 30 days, at a rate of 2% reduction in pay per extra week bought – so I could get the maximum of 30 days at a rate of 3% reduction in pay. Is this possible in reality? Do I just ask my boss? Does he have to agree it – or can I just get it by asking him?

I did ask a different question of the HR advice line the other day and got a very sharp rebuke from them, telling me I should ask my manager. So I assume asking HR is a dead loss, and I should always ask my manager stuff like this, and not HR?
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Post by salomon2 »

If you've got any holidays booked before starting you should have given the dates as soon as you started even at the interview stage. Most holiday will already have been allocated for next year and should be on view somewhere in your office. Your holiday will be slotted in somewhere this is all done by your manager. You can buy holiday but it's too late for next year but next February you can ask to buy some for the following year although in our office we havnt been able to as we are so far behind with holiday and no space to take it.
hellpop
Posts: 62
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Post by hellpop »

Buying holiday is a waste of time because you can never get it unless it's an odd day in February. And getting a day off for anything like a funeral, drs appointment, family sickness etc is an absolute ball ache. There will always be a reason why you can't have a day off.
joewyan
Posts: 382
Joined: 28 Jun 2016, 22:56
Gender: Male

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Post by joewyan »

Speaking for my office, I buy holiday up to the 6 week total maximum. I don't go for school holiday time as I don't have kids and I always get every week I go for (secondchoice if not first). Odd days can be more challenging I agree.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I've never had any problems booking my purchased annual leave. It's well worth doing as you don't miss it coming out of your wages every week.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Post by sussexlad »

When you have seen your manager and have sorted out your leave ask him to print out your leave card straight away, that way you have a record of it plus how many days you have left to take will be shown on it. I think there is a narrow time window for people wanting to buy leave so with the new leave year just around the corner you might want to inform your manager that you want to buy extra leave asap.
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Annual leave - tracking and getting more

Post by WOBBLY »

Yes you speak to your DOM about buying extra leave, they have to input it into the PSP system. You've missed this years cut off (end Feb) so your "bought" leave won't be available now until next financial year. You won't start paying for it until then either :)

As for seeing what leave you have booked or have left ask them to print you off a leave card, keep these safe as its a good way of making sure they don't diddle you out of the odd day here and there!!