ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Notice period temp contract

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Decpassat06
Posts: 65
Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
Gender: Male

Notice period temp contract

Post by Decpassat06 »

Hello, was wondering dose anyone know if I need to give notice to leave? 24 hour temporary contract
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice period temp contract

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Decpassat06 wrote:Hello, was wondering dose anyone know if I need to give notice to leave? 24 hour temporary contract
Your contract should say as at the moment they seem to be changing new entrants to 1 months notice. Mine is 1 week.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Decpassat06
Posts: 65
Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
Gender: Male

Notice period temp contract

Post by Decpassat06 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Decpassat06 wrote:Hello, was wondering dose anyone know if I need to give notice to leave? 24 hour temporary contract
Your contract should say as at the moment they seem to be changing new entrants to 1 months notice. Mine is 1 week.
It says 4 weeks notice, is there a way to shortan this?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Notice period temp contract

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Decpassat06 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Decpassat06 wrote:Hello, was wondering dose anyone know if I need to give notice to leave? 24 hour temporary contract
Your contract should say as at the moment they seem to be changing new entrants to 1 months notice. Mine is 1 week.
It says 4 weeks notice, is there a way to shorten this?

See your rep and see if you can get a "Mutual Agreement".

But before you do make sure you understand the financial consequences. You won't be able to claim benefits for a while (13 years ago I was sanctioned for 6 weeks when I resigned), and try to get independent advice from ACAS, or Union Line if you are a member. (you probably need your membership number when calling them).
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Decpassat06
Posts: 65
Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
Gender: Male

Notice period temp contract

Post by Decpassat06 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Decpassat06 wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Decpassat06 wrote:Hello, was wondering dose anyone know if I need to give notice to leave? 24 hour temporary contract
Your contract should say as at the moment they seem to be changing new entrants to 1 months notice. Mine is 1 week.
It says 4 weeks notice, is there a way to shorten this?

See your rep and see if you can get a "Mutual Agreement".

But before you do make sure you understand the financial consequences. You won't be able to claim benefits for a while (13 years ago I was sanctioned for 6 weeks when I resigned), and try to get independent advice from ACAS, or Union Line if you are a member. (you probably need your membership number when calling them).
If I leave no benefits will be needed as I have another job lined up
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Notice period temp contract

Post by rubberbond »

I thought you could leave by "mutual consent", during your training period, such as it is,without the requisite notice.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Notice period temp contract

Post by telithowitis »

Most people who have left from temp contracts in our DO, and there are many, just walk out and don't come back.You could say it's RM fault for not issuing permenant contracts? You can't have your cake and eat it!! If I were you and you have a job you want to go with I would just go when it suits you.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Notice period temp contract

Post by mickeymacca »

telithowitis wrote:Most people who have left from temp contracts in our DO, and there are many, just walk out and don't come back.You could say it's RM fault for not issuing permenant contracts? You can't have your cake and eat it!! If I were you and you have a job you want to go with I would just go when it suits you.
Spot on, could n't agree more.
'Libraries gave us power'