ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
So ive got a job interview
-
Archimedes1989
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 15 Jan 2017, 09:45
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
I applied for a few jobs and joined this forum, this particular one i applied for almost 1 month ago and i really wanted it. I thought i would come in have a laugh with the team while sorting through some mail and then off i go, stick some headphones in listen to an audio book and just walk and deliver, sounds great !
Since applying ive been on this forum though, you lot have really put me off to be honest, it just seems all doom and gloom and a bad place to work, so i think im going to cancel the interview
Something else which has contributed is i have been walking 10 miles a day, i cant consistently walk close to the 4mph which ive seen stated on here
Another reason for me applying was because my current job offers no career advancement unless i go to university, so i thought i would be able to advance my career in royal mail after a few years but reading on here that seems unlikely too, so thats put me off also
Im reading about people picking up injuries, which is literally the last thing in the world i want because im a competitive amateur boxer and it means a lot to me so picking up an injury at work which stops me training would really be hell for me
So basically what i would like to know is
Is the job really as bad as it is made out to be on here or are you lot just venting and you actually enjoy the job for the most part ?
Can we list the reasons why you're still doing the job and the things you like about it ?
Also your experience with career advancement and also speak on any injuries you have had or seen
Thanks
Since applying ive been on this forum though, you lot have really put me off to be honest, it just seems all doom and gloom and a bad place to work, so i think im going to cancel the interview
Something else which has contributed is i have been walking 10 miles a day, i cant consistently walk close to the 4mph which ive seen stated on here
Another reason for me applying was because my current job offers no career advancement unless i go to university, so i thought i would be able to advance my career in royal mail after a few years but reading on here that seems unlikely too, so thats put me off also
Im reading about people picking up injuries, which is literally the last thing in the world i want because im a competitive amateur boxer and it means a lot to me so picking up an injury at work which stops me training would really be hell for me
So basically what i would like to know is
Is the job really as bad as it is made out to be on here or are you lot just venting and you actually enjoy the job for the most part ?
Can we list the reasons why you're still doing the job and the things you like about it ?
Also your experience with career advancement and also speak on any injuries you have had or seen
Thanks
-
Shaders
- Posts: 218
- Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
- Gender: Male
- Location: Oop North
So ive got a job interview
If your young and fit you'll have no problems but yes you will walk the best part of 10 miles unless your very lucky.
-
mickeymacca
- Posts: 503
- Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
Archimedes thats pretty much what I do every day, currently trying to learn a bit of Spanish using podcasts!
If you're an active person, and it sounds like you are, then the chances are you'll really enjoy the job, especially in summer. The main source of negativity stems from management pressuring you to work beyond your contracted hours, if you don't mind doing overtime (and it isn't compulsary) then that will present no problem to you.
There are issues with booking holidays, its difficult to book a day off on short notice, and it is very difficult to get a Saturday off. There is also uncertainty as to the direction the company is going in the future.
Unless you want to become a manager, which is very target driven and not a very appealing job, then there is little advancement possibilities.
I would and have recommended the job to mates, this was only a temporary job for me, but I am still doing it 9 years later and still enjoy it.
hope that helps
If you're an active person, and it sounds like you are, then the chances are you'll really enjoy the job, especially in summer. The main source of negativity stems from management pressuring you to work beyond your contracted hours, if you don't mind doing overtime (and it isn't compulsary) then that will present no problem to you.
There are issues with booking holidays, its difficult to book a day off on short notice, and it is very difficult to get a Saturday off. There is also uncertainty as to the direction the company is going in the future.
Unless you want to become a manager, which is very target driven and not a very appealing job, then there is little advancement possibilities.
I would and have recommended the job to mates, this was only a temporary job for me, but I am still doing it 9 years later and still enjoy it.
hope that helps
'Libraries gave us power'
-
Exrep
- Posts: 1005
- Joined: 02 Oct 2009, 21:01
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
If you want to continue your boxing do not become a postmen it will affect your knees,ankles,hips and feet all of which you need injury free to become a good fighter.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
I enjoy the job that I do at Royal Mail. It's one of the most stress free jobs for me because I am relatively fit and quite thick skinned. I would also like to think that I also have a 'granite chin' but Ive not had any real problems from my customers other than the usual grumbles about not closing the gates. But you do need to look after yourself generally to remain injury free. That means take your breaks and don't rush round.
I have looked at other jobs but working at Royal Mail fits in nicely with my work-life balance. I still love the early starts and finishing before rush traffic hits. I couldn't imagine working in an office or a 9 to 5. For me, the best thing is being outdoors in the fresh air and I've had no real health problems that I can think of. There is a lot of negativity on here from staff because we all remember what Royal Mail used to be - in the days when we provided a public service. Since its Privatised, its mainly all about profit. But I think you would be hard pressed not to find that anywhere else to be honest.
I have looked at other jobs but working at Royal Mail fits in nicely with my work-life balance. I still love the early starts and finishing before rush traffic hits. I couldn't imagine working in an office or a 9 to 5. For me, the best thing is being outdoors in the fresh air and I've had no real health problems that I can think of. There is a lot of negativity on here from staff because we all remember what Royal Mail used to be - in the days when we provided a public service. Since its Privatised, its mainly all about profit. But I think you would be hard pressed not to find that anywhere else to be honest.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
smok3y666
- Posts: 753
- Joined: 21 Dec 2008, 10:47
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
I've been a postie 6 weeks now, maybe. Don't do it. It sounds good on paper but in reality, whole different ball game. Seriously.
-
Darren Bent
- Posts: 2150
- Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL
So ive got a job interview
If you do the job you might be too tired to do all the gym work, running, sparring, etc it probably will improve your stamina. You will need to get a balance right for sleep, rest, training, working and diet. It is doable. But you might find it difficult to get time off to prepare for big fight.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
If you have any ambition to do something else think twice. I don't say this in a negative light, but the reality is a lot of people join with the thought of doing it as a temporary job and before they know it they've been there a decade and they're vying for a duty in the seniority stakes.
However there are a lot of good aspects to the job, like a strong union, working outdoors, keeps you fit, meet a load of different people.
However there are a lot of good aspects to the job, like a strong union, working outdoors, keeps you fit, meet a load of different people.
-
superports
- Posts: 171
- Joined: 05 Nov 2009, 09:15
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
20 years in, loved the job at the start then gradually the harassment and bullying began, all because I wouldn't work past my finish time, and the more they threatened me, bullied me, intimidated me, the more I dug my heels in. It has been a constant battle for the last 10 years. Why haven't I left you might ask? Well, I loved the job to start with but slowly and steadily it has changed. Just tiny changes over time, then, BOOM, here I am 20 years later hating going in everyday, my body aches constantly and I talk to people with "normal" jobs - Monday to Friday, no hassle, asked if they can do overtime, days off at short notice etc etc. I'm desperate to get out of this stinking, corrupt sh1t hole.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
No real hassles once you get out on delivery. And then you're just getting paid to go for a walk.
I certainly couldn't see me working 9 to 5 in an office, I'd probably get cabin fever after the first day!
-
Gangham_style14
- Posts: 105
- Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
Only been with RM 3 years ....
when you first start prepare for aching feet, body aching all over from using muscles you have never used before but it does get easier and you will find your pace, no need to rush and run as you need to get the basics right first, like delivering to the correct houses etc ......
Newbies tend to get prayed on for doing overtime as management pray on the fact they want to impress and saying no puts them under pressure, my advice stand strong straight away tell them you need to work to your hours, and just keep your head down work hard with the people you get paired with, the job has its days
W**k wednesday :-/ is the worst as the duty can be really heavy, but during the spring when it's warm and your finnishing at 1245 onwards it's bliss......
Only you will know if you like it or not.... so worth giving it a try, a lot of the senior posties in our office moan about how good the job was back in the day but it's getting with the times unfortunately .... would be nice to have no lapsing everyday ....
when you first start prepare for aching feet, body aching all over from using muscles you have never used before but it does get easier and you will find your pace, no need to rush and run as you need to get the basics right first, like delivering to the correct houses etc ......
Newbies tend to get prayed on for doing overtime as management pray on the fact they want to impress and saying no puts them under pressure, my advice stand strong straight away tell them you need to work to your hours, and just keep your head down work hard with the people you get paired with, the job has its days
W**k wednesday :-/ is the worst as the duty can be really heavy, but during the spring when it's warm and your finnishing at 1245 onwards it's bliss......
Only you will know if you like it or not.... so worth giving it a try, a lot of the senior posties in our office moan about how good the job was back in the day but it's getting with the times unfortunately .... would be nice to have no lapsing everyday ....
-
t3mcIUQWE2
- Posts: 137
- Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
It's 1-2mph. Easy.Archimedes1989 wrote:Something else which has contributed is i have been walking 10 miles a day, i cant consistently walk close to the 4mph which ive seen stated on here
You can become a temporary manager pretty much as soon as you start. The sky is the limit after that.Archimedes1989 wrote:Another reason for me applying was because my current job offers no career advancement unless i go to university, so i thought i would be able to advance my career in royal mail after a few years but reading on here that seems unlikely too, so thats put me off also
YesArchimedes1989 wrote:are you lot just venting and you actually enjoy the job for the most part ?
-
Clared
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
- Gender: Female
So ive got a job interview
I've been at Royal Mail for over 9 months now. I left a FT job which I absolutely hated in the last 2 years. So i applied for a job at RM & got it. All I heard when i started there was its not it like it use to be ! That's ppl that have been there ages & seen the changes. 1 of the reasons i changed my last job if you don't like changes then you simply move on.
I started on a 24hrs but now have a 30 hrs contract. If you don't mind working OT or working your day out you should be fine. From your post you sound active so your fitness is there too. Only problem I had is you may get sent to other offices at a drop of a hat suppose that also depends on which office you have applied at that may or may not happen to be honest. Have to say I do love my job at RM & I would definitely go to the interview & if your not afraid of hard work/Bad Weather snow etc the job will suit you. You will know if the job is for you in your 1st 2 weeks (Aching body,feet n legs) & if you get through that you will be on to a winner ! Good Luck
I started on a 24hrs but now have a 30 hrs contract. If you don't mind working OT or working your day out you should be fine. From your post you sound active so your fitness is there too. Only problem I had is you may get sent to other offices at a drop of a hat suppose that also depends on which office you have applied at that may or may not happen to be honest. Have to say I do love my job at RM & I would definitely go to the interview & if your not afraid of hard work/Bad Weather snow etc the job will suit you. You will know if the job is for you in your 1st 2 weeks (Aching body,feet n legs) & if you get through that you will be on to a winner ! Good Luck
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
remember if you're terrible at your job with RM, you'll get promoted to management (most are failed/lazy postman)
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
So ive got a job interview
Whilst that may be true, isn't irony a beautiful thing , when most of them end up,doing delivery ,when they went into management to avoid it. Shame. Schadenfreude ,another beautiful word,"enjoyment of others misfortune".lcook282 wrote:remember if you're terrible at your job with RM, you'll get promoted to management (most are failed/lazy postman)
As for the original post about career advancement , I'd forget it if I were you , they have too many managers and are looking to get rid of them.