ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Post by 19times »

Hi all.

I am after a little bit of guidence here as it's a slightly unusual situation I think.

I have a 36hr part time contract having started on a 33hr contract 18 yrs ago but was asked to do an extra 3 hrs a week ( doing an hrs prep on heavier days) which I accepted - that was around 10 yrs ago.

I have since then signed for my current duty when the office had a re sign about 3 yrs ago which is a 33hr duty.

A duty has become vacant that I wouldnt mind going for - advertised on the board as 33hrs like the duty I am on so question is can I apply for that duty yet keep my current 36hrs??

It's a strange one because there are no 36hr duties as such If you get what I mean yet I am quite senior in the part time list.

Thoughts please? I will ask the Rep but I have a funny feeling he'll just say nope inless I drop them 3 hrs which I'd like to keep to be honest.

Sorry its long winded, just trying to make sure I go in depth :oops:

Cheers.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Post by 19times »

Anyone? Or are people still out on delivery :Very Happy

p.s day off today!
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Post by Shaders »

Does your current contract say 36 hours or are you 33 hours and 3 hours O/T?

The only real answer is to speak to your DOM, they may well give you the same arrangement as you currently have to keep it 36 hours.
t3mcIUQWE2
Posts: 137
Joined: 24 Oct 2015, 17:04
Gender: Male

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Post by t3mcIUQWE2 »

In my DO lots of people are on duties with hours less than they are contracted. Free money. :nana
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

The only thing you can be sure of in RM is that no two duties are the same. :crazy: I would have thought that if you signed for the "New" duty you'd be in exactly the same situation as you already are. You'd have a definite 36 hour contract, and may well need another 3 hours to deliver it? You're not going to be in a position to insist that you keep those extra hours.

In today's RM I think you're probably lucky to have a 36 hour contract (especially if it's permanent). Shouldn't be too hard to make up a few hours OT? :hmmmm We've got Postie that are on 20 hours plus OT every week, and moan if they're not allowed to work their day off! :shock:
Last edited by Dorset Plodder on 23 Feb 2017, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Post by 19times »

Shaders wrote:Does your current contract say 36 hours or are you 33 hours and 3 hours O/T?

The only real answer is to speak to your DOM, they may well give you the same arrangement as you currently have to keep it 36 hours.
Contract is 36hrs, had a letter years back saying hrs increased from 33 to 36.

Wage slip says 36 too.

I got offered full time the other week but turned it down knowing this duty would be up for grabs If I stayed part time

I'll have a chat to the rep first and see where I stand but in my opinion I can't see the issue really but we shall see.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

AG/Part Time, Signing For a Walk?

Post by 19times »

Update.

I spoke to the rep and the Dom yesterday and nope can't keep hrs If I wanted to apply for the duty, would have to drop the 3 hrs.

I never thought it would be an issue, never mind.

P.s If it was a full office re pick I could, odd :d'oh!