ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you enjoy your job ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Gangham_style14
Posts: 105
Joined: 15 Feb 2017, 19:12
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by Gangham_style14 »

Hey fellow posties, only been a postie for 3years, but starting to feel it's 3years too long, with everything going on with Royal Mail I'm starting to think it may be time to look for something else...... my perspective is Royal Mail seems to get worse, with the current state of the pensions, the changing of full time hours, the constant pressure of extra workload and the harassment and bullying by managers...... I find I like my job once I'm out and away from the office, I'm hating the office atmosphere, worktime learning turns into the House of Parliament....... our office needs a revision on jobs cuz some are too easy others ridiculous i for one can't go over my time as I have child commitments but it turns into a interrogation with my boss :-/
A big problem is our union rep doesn't seem very pro active :-(
Are other offices the same .....
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by Bahia Feliz »

Yes :wink:
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by Shaders »

Yeh I still enjoy it most of the time, although I am starting to struggle physically a bit now the walks are longer.
Got the usual pressure from DIM etc as to why can't you complete blah blah blah but it's in one ear out the other, it only gets to you if you let it.
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by Spigot bearing »

Work time learning? Our office hasn't had those for months, possibly years.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by ScousePostie »

I've worked at RM for just over 2 years now. I enjoy the job once I'm out the office. In the office is another story, but I try not to let what I think of the office side of the job affect what I think of the job as a whole.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by walkthewalk »

Gangham_style14 wrote:Hey fellow posties, only been a postie for 3years, but starting to feel it's 3years too long, with everything going on with Royal Mail I'm starting to think it may be time to look for something else...... my perspective is Royal Mail seems to get worse, with the current state of the pensions, the changing of full time hours, the constant pressure of extra workload and the harassment and bullying by managers...... I find I like my job once I'm out and away from the office, I'm hating the office atmosphere, worktime learning turns into the House of Parliament....... our office needs a revision on jobs cuz some are too easy others ridiculous i for one can't go over my time as I have child commitments but it turns into a interrogation with my boss :-/
A big problem is our union rep doesn't seem very pro active :-(
Are other offices the same .....
Your office sounds like most offices which is all down to bad management so being outside away from the mayhem is better but shortly management will be acting as big brother when you are not in the office by using Trimble which will be fitted in your van, like it or not the job is for sure getting worse so your next 3 years at Royal Mail will be far worse than the last 3 years - sorry but you did ask :hmmmm
thumbcat
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 12:59
Gender: Female

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by thumbcat »

Yes I do. I work in a great office and it's well paid for part time work.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by ScousePostie »

We already have tracking in some of our vans. I was one of the first to use one of these vans when I was on a walk for a long period of time. It proved one thing, that my driving isn't perfect, but it was nowhere near as bad as some of the other drivers whose vans were also fitted with the tracker.
chickenwittle
Posts: 2095
Joined: 15 Nov 2009, 09:43
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by chickenwittle »

It pays the mortgage , enough said.
sussexlad
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 21:52
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by sussexlad »

24 years in and still enjoy it, not as much as 20 years ago when i thought it was the best job in the world ( bikes,2 deliveries, finished 1st delivery 9am, home by 11:30am, saturday back in bed by 9am) plus it would be hard to find same sort of work for the same pay.
Stunl3y
Posts: 73
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 11:57
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by Stunl3y »

I do but I don't enjoy the thought of what its likely to become and I don't enjoy the way its becoming more and more physical , apart from that , working outdoors with nobody looking over my shoulder and getting home at a time I can enjoy my kids growing up I still like it.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by eastie »

Working on my own I enjoy it , P&L I hate it
WOBBLY
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by WOBBLY »

I enjoyed it when I started in the 90's - now its just a way of paying the bills.
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by yubin282 »

everywhere is the same, if i could find a job with similar pay id leave this second
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Do you enjoy your job ?

Post by rubberbond »

lcook282 wrote:everywhere is the same, if i could find a job with similar pay id leave this second
And that my friend is the crux of the issue, the only difference between prison and here is that we go home at night....for now.