I and 2 other work in a small delivery office.
We work 4 days a week on 24 hour contracts.
I just found out yesterday, after the union rep had already been in and gone the day before, that all 3 of us are not allowed to stay on a 24 hour contract at the DO under the new proposal.
Switch to 30 hours, 4 weeks on 1 week or get kicked out of the DO.
Worse still, only 2 can stay at 30 hours, the other is to be removed.
If all three agree to the change to 30, it goes on seniority.
I am the least senior.
I have a contact order to have time with my daughter, which I had to fight for over a year in court. I can only work 4 days as the other days are for contact.
The other 2 also have family commitments. 24 hour 4 day weeks are the reason we all joined!
I thought Royal Mail is meant to be supportive of family commitments?
All 3 of us are in permanent contracts.
The change is suggested as part of lapsing another walk.
The office has 28 duties.
What are our options?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
-
BadBoyB
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 22 Nov 2016, 01:11
- Gender: Male
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
What does your contract say about days?
And they can't increase your contract from 24 to 30 without your approval
And they can't increase your contract from 24 to 30 without your approval
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
Get another rep on it
The agenda for growth agreement (the legally enforceable one) http://www.cwu.org/assets/cwu/legacy-as ... Stabil.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says:
The agenda for growth agreement (the legally enforceable one) http://www.cwu.org/assets/cwu/legacy-as ... Stabil.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says:
2.7 The terms of the Job Security, Resourcing and Managing Change Agreement shall remain in force, with relevant provisions amended as follows:
2.7.2 Full time Employees will remain full time unless they volunteer to move to part time hours. Part time Employees will be entitled to retain their existing contractual hours if they wish.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
BadBoyB
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 22 Nov 2016, 01:11
- Gender: Male
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
TrueBlueTerrier
Does that still mean they can force me to leave the DO?
The proposal says change or go. And only 2 can stay that change.
Does that still mean they can force me to leave the DO?
The proposal says change or go. And only 2 can stay that change.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
No all that does is protect your hours in your contract, not the location and the number of days you work. However, you and your colleagues shouldn't just give up. You may fight and lose, but if you don't fight you WILL lose. Thats why I suggested another rep so they could fight your corner.
If they do move you, you do have certain rights with allowances, and the distance has to be reasonable. I would definitely go to Area and see if they provide a rep to advise, guide and represent you.
If they do move you, you do have certain rights with allowances, and the distance has to be reasonable. I would definitely go to Area and see if they provide a rep to advise, guide and represent you.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
I'm afraid it's known as the "FA Cup Draw Rule" by Royal Mail, they put numbers in a bag then do a draw, I'm afraid you are just a number in Royal Mail
-
BadBoyB
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 22 Nov 2016, 01:11
- Gender: Male
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
The manager of the DO has not worked in the office since October. It is his name on the planned revision. Next to the union reps.
He came in for the meeting. I still haven't been officially approached. At the time.e of the meeting I didn't know ow why he was there or what it was about.
Sin e that meeting he's not been back. He also will not answer any calls from the three of us it concerns.
How on earth can this be following protocol? What is the process?
1 devise plan
2 tell nobody about it
3 have secret meeting
4 avoid all contact with those concerned
5 attend second secret meeting
It is 2 days to the second meeting. Is it normal to avoid speaking to the staff members it involves?
For such a large national company some of the processors and management attitude seems like they're straight out of the 1970's!
Surely management are required to open dialogue with those it concerns?
He came in for the meeting. I still haven't been officially approached. At the time.e of the meeting I didn't know ow why he was there or what it was about.
Sin e that meeting he's not been back. He also will not answer any calls from the three of us it concerns.
How on earth can this be following protocol? What is the process?
1 devise plan
2 tell nobody about it
3 have secret meeting
4 avoid all contact with those concerned
5 attend second secret meeting
It is 2 days to the second meeting. Is it normal to avoid speaking to the staff members it involves?
For such a large national company some of the processors and management attitude seems like they're straight out of the 1970's!
Surely management are required to open dialogue with those it concerns?
-
Ringer21
- Posts: 127
- Joined: 13 Jul 2016, 15:04
- Gender: Male
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
I've worked 4 day a week for 6 years on a 35 hour contract just had a revision in work I was told the 4 day week was now only for 30 hour contracts so I'm back on 5 day week I had the option to reduce hours but couldn't afford to do that not enough indoor hours was the reason they gave me but staff including the 30 hours getting paid to come in early not happy
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
"The manager of the DO has not worked in the office since October. It is his name on the planned revision. Next to the union reps". - That is so often the problem, the CWU rep working hand in hand with the DOM instead of for his members as he should be.BadBoyB wrote:The manager of the DO has not worked in the office since October. It is his name on the planned revision. Next to the union reps.
He came in for the meeting. I still haven't been officially approached. At the time.e of the meeting I didn't know ow why he was there or what it was about.
Sin e that meeting he's not been back. He also will not answer any calls from the three of us it concerns.
How on earth can this be following protocol? What is the process?
1 devise plan
2 tell nobody about it
3 have secret meeting
4 avoid all contact with those concerned
5 attend second secret meeting
It is 2 days to the second meeting. Is it normal to avoid speaking to the staff members it involves?
For such a large national company some of the processors and management attitude seems like they're straight out of the 1970's!
Surely management are required to open dialogue with those it concerns?
I am a bit confused by "work in a small delivery office" and "The office has 28 duties" - or are three of you out at an SPDO ?
-
BadBoyB
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 22 Nov 2016, 01:11
- Gender: Male
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
Thought 28 duties was a small office. The others I have been to had between 60 and well over a hundred.
All other staff work 4*6days with the 5th week off. Would be ok if I didn't have a daughter.
I work Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday, then Monday Tuesday Friday Saturday.
All other days I have my daughter living with me. She is not at school, she's 4 years old.
The arrangement is by court order which I had to fight for a year in court.
All other staff work 4*6days with the 5th week off. Would be ok if I didn't have a daughter.
I work Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday, then Monday Tuesday Friday Saturday.
All other days I have my daughter living with me. She is not at school, she's 4 years old.
The arrangement is by court order which I had to fight for a year in court.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
28 duties is a bigger office than manyBadBoyB wrote:Thought 28 duties was a small office. The others I have been to had between 60 and well over a hundred.
All other staff work 4*6days with the 5th week off. Would be ok if I didn't have a daughter.
I work Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday, then Monday Tuesday Friday Saturday.
All other days I have my daughter living with me. She is not at school, she's 4 years old.
The arrangement is by court order which I had to fight for a year in court.
-
BadBoyB
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 22 Nov 2016, 01:11
- Gender: Male
Forced to change from 4 day to 6 day week or leave DO
Well I thought it would be big enough to accommodate us.
Sounds like they're using us to magic the hours saved upto 30 saved.
Each head is recorded as a 30 hour minimum. Giving them 18 surplus. 6hours x 3 people.
Therefore making the 2 remains on 24 go up to 30 (which the system already has us down as) Then get rid of one on 24 hours will actually be recorded as a 30 hour saving.
But will only be an actual drop of 12 man hours.
Everyone who not part of the three on 24 hours seems delighted.
If they actually did what been requested, get rid of a 30 hour contract, it wouldn't have affected us with young families.
Sounds like they're using us to magic the hours saved upto 30 saved.
Each head is recorded as a 30 hour minimum. Giving them 18 surplus. 6hours x 3 people.
Therefore making the 2 remains on 24 go up to 30 (which the system already has us down as) Then get rid of one on 24 hours will actually be recorded as a 30 hour saving.
But will only be an actual drop of 12 man hours.
Everyone who not part of the three on 24 hours seems delighted.
If they actually did what been requested, get rid of a 30 hour contract, it wouldn't have affected us with young families.