ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
No training on new dutys
-
Decpassat06
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Hi all, end of my third month being a postie. I get put on new dutys a lot without training which leads to me being slow, once I get used to the duty i get moved again, I'm not bothered apart from one or two postmen start throwing strops because I'm to slow, reporting me to my manager which then sends him into a strop, which then makes me slower as I am then under pressure, i have no idea how the loops pull out of the fitting or anything, should i be getting trained on new dutys? I'm only on a temp contract and I fear it won't be renewed.... now and then I get put on with a nice postman and he's helpful and i pick it up straight away.....
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Don't worry. A lot of posties are idiots. They would rather get put with the "runners" who allow them an early finish. The very same people they moan about ruining the job.
On the bright side, manager might think twice about putting you with these posties in future. Which can only benefit you really.
On the bright side, manager might think twice about putting you with these posties in future. Which can only benefit you really.
-
Decpassat06
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Thanks for the reply, normally I get put on with a postman and there very understanding, helpful and decent people, these people make the job easier and help. But there had been 2 occasions I have been put on with postman who take me being slow as a personal attack towards them. Rarely we went over our time.... maybe 10 mins tops on a busy day, and they both like clockwork sprinted to the managers office to cause trouble "he's slow" I've tolerated verbal abuse, swearing, shouting, to the point I want to quit the job. neither help unlike the other postman, one didn't even help me pull my bundles out, stood there next to me with his arms crossed.... then I asked where a loop pulled out to and the shouting and swearing started, dose he repolize that doing that wastes time?Newbie001 wrote:Don't worry. A lot of posties are idiots. They would rather get put with the "runners" who allow them an early finish. The very same people they moan about ruining the job.
On the bright side, manager might think twice about putting you with these posties in future. Which can only benefit you really.
-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
No training on new dutys
That postie sounds vile!!! You don't get training on rounds unless rural as meant to be able to follow the frame but getting moved so often makes it hard going. Unfortunately this happens all the time with new starters. Don't worry about your contract not being renewed I've never heard of it not happening.
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Unfortunately you meet some complete twats. When I first started had one postie that drove away to start his delivery while I was tying down. Had to wait hr on him coming back. And as he was two loops up at end he just threw a few f***s in my direction, left us a key and said my bags are in such and such box and drove off. Had to walk 2 mile back to office.Decpassat06 wrote:Thanks for the reply, normally I get put on with a postman and there very understanding, helpful and decent people, these people make the job easier and help. But there had been 2 occasions I have been put on with postman who take me being slow as a personal attack towards them. Rarely we went over our time.... maybe 10 mins tops on a busy day, and they both like clockwork sprinted to the managers office to cause trouble "he's slow" I've tolerated verbal abuse, swearing, shouting, to the point I want to quit the job. neither help unlike the other postman, one didn't even help me pull my bundles out, stood there next to me with his arms crossed.... then I asked where a loop pulled out to and the shouting and swearing started, dose he repolize that doing that wastes time?Newbie001 wrote:Don't worry. A lot of posties are idiots. They would rather get put with the "runners" who allow them an early finish. The very same people they moan about ruining the job.
On the bright side, manager might think twice about putting you with these posties in future. Which can only benefit you really.
Complained to manager and they just laughed.
Managers are not the only bullies you'll come across in this job. You will quickly learn to stand up for yourself.
-
Kick the Bucket
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
I think some members of staff forget that they were new once as well! Don't let them get you down. Make sure that YOU do the right thing and you'll be fine. The people who are disrespectful towards others only have to put one foot wrong and management will be all over them like a bad rash. 
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Don't know what I'm doing still up but...............................Decpassat06 wrote:Hi all, end of my third month being a postie. I get put on new dutys a lot without training which leads to me being slow, once I get used to the duty i get moved again, I'm not bothered apart from one or two postmen start throwing strops because I'm to slow, reporting me to my manager which then sends him into a strop, which then makes me slower as I am then under pressure, i have no idea how the loops pull out of the fitting or anything, should i be getting trained on new dutys? I'm only on a temp contract and I fear it won't be renewed.... now and then I get put on with a nice postman and he's helpful and i pick it up straight away.....
They guys you mention are complete w*****s. When you start as a postie theres loads to learn EVEN before you go out,like the prepping, getting your bunddles together, specials PDA etc. Then you go out on walks that you don't know and as a new starter you get the blisters as well.
You shouldn't be too far from getting your fitness that's needed and the better weather is coming. Stick it out and don't listen to the runners.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
No training on new dutys
Yes, you are meant to be trained up before doing a duty. Tell the manager you haven't been trained up next time he tries it.
I've refused to do many duties due to not being trained on them. The few times I've been persuaded, I insisted on having a map printed off and speaking to someone who knew it. Also, I've only taken out about 3/4 of the walk due to being slow due to not knowing it.
I've refused to do many duties due to not being trained on them. The few times I've been persuaded, I insisted on having a map printed off and speaking to someone who knew it. Also, I've only taken out about 3/4 of the walk due to being slow due to not knowing it.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Welcome to the world of the reserve mate!
Any decent partner would help you bundle/throw up and get out quicker, then point you in right direction when he/she drops you off for any given loop.
Standard bullying and stress you get from some w*nkers. I was big enough to avoid most lip from colleagues but I saw it happen to others sometimes.
You are treated as an inconvenience by some, rather than a partner.
Any decent partner would help you bundle/throw up and get out quicker, then point you in right direction when he/she drops you off for any given loop.
Standard bullying and stress you get from some w*nkers. I was big enough to avoid most lip from colleagues but I saw it happen to others sometimes.
You are treated as an inconvenience by some, rather than a partner.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
This is absolutely abysmal,which reinforces my views on another thread,the one about "snails", the trouble is, too many people have been here too long ,never having done another job,not used to working with other people,but of course it's alright, because "I've been here 30 years", which apparently gives them the right to do as they please. Don't worry about these arseholes,they are supposed to be working to their time anyway,so where's the problem. You'll get more confidence the longer you are here, keep plugging away, it's not a race.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
No training on new dutys
Stick with it, it will get easier. There are only so many new duties that they can put you on. I was dumped on a huge new round in December, given a HCT and told to get on with it. I brought mail back the first day and got a bollocking so the following day I took it all out and it took me over 6 hours. The next day I had a bollocking for taking too long and costing them too much money so I refused to take it all out that day. I had a bollocking for that too but I didn't care at that stage. If I'm put on a new walk I write all the loops down as I'm doing the walk and if I'm put on it again it saves so much time! Don't give up. Do stick up for yourself though coz management will take the piss big-time.
-
cantonkid1955
- PARCELFORCE
- Posts: 163
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 19:03
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Most of the management are failed postmen anyway,,who failed on the walk so they get made up to clipboard bullies..just assholes with ties on,
-
Clared
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
- Gender: Female
No training on new dutys
I was on a new walk today ! I was put with someone who didn't know the walker route just the driving side. How bad is that ? Managed to get round though with a bit of a struggle. Don't expect training because it's non existence
-
Sunflower14
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 09:03
- Gender: Female
No training on new dutys
Then people wonder why I'm leaving. Why put up with it? Life is too short
-
gary1975
- Posts: 482
- Joined: 16 Apr 2011, 13:41
- Gender: Male
No training on new dutys
Wasn't that long ago you got a map and a 60 second run down of how to tie it up and off you go ;)