ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Snails

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by Kick the Bucket »

Having been with Royal Mail a few years now I have an understanding of the job and do it "properly". The runners in delivery offices ruin jobs by making them appear to be easier than what they really are. I however have another problem. I have been on my delivery for a couple of years, I was really lucky to get a delivery early on. My new partner is not a runner but the opposite. The person in question is purposely slow and will acknowledge this. I don't mind if that is what they want to do but I am now under pressure from my partner and the DOM. I don't want to tell the DOM the reason for excessive OT or an excessive cut off is due to my partner. I don't want to be the grass in the office. I feel as though my only choice is to drop out of my walk which I am not particularly happy about. Runners are not the only problem in my opinion. :cry
mark.cup
Posts: 303
Joined: 14 Mar 2010, 20:54
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by mark.cup »

Some people you end up working with make you wonder how they ever got a job as a postman...

A 10 year old child could follow instructions and deliver mail quicker than some of these people :d'oh!
taurus88
Posts: 1259
Joined: 14 Aug 2010, 17:53
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by taurus88 »

It's a problem that's not really acknowledged, but it is in my mind another form of unprofessionalism at the opposite end of being a runner. In every office there are one or two members of staff who you could ask to deliver a street of terraced houses (let's say 60 to 80 addresses), on a Tuesday, and they would manage to take an hour over it. And, in addition to that, they'll manage to misdeliver to a dozen of those addresses. In my mind, these people are just as culpable as runners in that they do the job badly. I'm not saying there isn't a natural variation in pace, some of which can be attributed to differences in age and body type, but just like there are outliers at one end of the scale who go too quickly, we have to accept that it is only by the contrast of there being such a thing as 'too quick' that there must also be such a thing as 'too slow'. I'm not saying I want to see people who do a good job (who do the job to specification both in terms of health and safety requirements and in terms of delivery procedures) be bullied, harassed, and ultimately sacked, I'm saying that there are people who do not embody those qualities, who are either idle or incompetent (or even both).
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by rubberbond »

This is the whole problem with van share, park & loop,call it what you will. Royal Mail planners, in their infinite wisdom, believe that the slowest half of the van share,will catch up with the quickest,which is not the case,it works the other way, but this is also the problem with seniority as you cannot match any other way,there must be an alternative to selection by seniority ,but I have no idea what it is, the only thing I can think of is,that there are no set duties as such and you come n each morning and get told what duty you are to do, but that has its flaws as well. So who knows.
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by Kick the Bucket »

Like I said, I'm relatively new and wouldn't want to tell anybody they are bad at the job or underperforming that is not my place. I do however feel nearly bullied into having to make a decision like leaving my delivery in this instance. I see no alternative. :thumbdown
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Snails

Post by Judgee »

rubberbond wrote:This is the whole problem with van share, park & loop,call it what you will. Royal Mail planners, in their infinite wisdom, believe that the slowest half of the van share,will catch up with the quickest,which is not the case,it works the other way, but this is also the problem with seniority as you cannot match any other way,there must be an alternative to selection by seniority ,but I have no idea what it is, the only thing I can think of is,that there are no set duties as such and you come n each morning and get told what duty you are to do, but that has its flaws as well. So who knows.
Rm should just put people on 6 months contact then kick them out at the end. Then no noobies will be there long enough to start bitching and moaning about how unfair seniority is. After all why should someone that's busted their guts for decades and worn there bodies out plodding the streets on behalf of RM ever have a slightly easier time of it than some pissant fresh in from the world... it's so unfair! :speak to the hand
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by Kick the Bucket »

Rm should just put people on 6 months contact then kick them out at the end. Then no noobies will be there long enough to start bitching and moaning about how unfair seniority is. After all why should someone that's busted their guts for decades and worn there bodies out plodding the streets on behalf of RM ever have a slightly easier time of it than some pissant fresh in from the world... it's so unfair! :speak to the hand
On the other side of the scale, why should work loads vary at all? Why should anybody have an easier time than another person?
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by bustedflush »

Kick the Bucket wrote:Like I said, I'm relatively new and wouldn't want to tell anybody they are bad at the job or underperforming that is not my place. I do however feel nearly bullied into having to make a decision like leaving my delivery in this instance. I see no alternative. :thumbdown
That's a real bummer. Job and finish was the only thing that made the job tolerable when I was at it. To have your own duty quite quickly was very fortunate and then to have it ruined by a slow must be awful for you! The thing is you can't win - your day is longer and you're going over which you weren't used to, and the only reason for it is hanging about waiting for somebody dragging their heels. Some would say help the other person, but that's the worst thing you could do as you would resent splitting wages for the combined duties 50-50 but end up doing the work 65-35. It's not a nice situation. The DIM must know that your O/T only started when the slow got put with you, even they aren't that dumb!

There's nothing worse that going home late (despite O/T paid) knowing that lateness was from standing about waiting. It's so frustrating, and leads to dissatisfaction because every day you know you shouldn't be getting that OT or lateness unless there really is a heavy workload. All I can suggest (what I used to do) is whinge and moan at the Lino or DIM and get your own van, just take your own duty out like I did on occasions. Butter them up by saying you'll take the slow's Specials and large parcels too if they accede to your request, it'll still be far quicker than hanging about and tell the DIM that means you won't need any more O/T - saves them money!
Failing that tell the DIM you're fed-up with being late and will come back on your own on time, or insist if the slow has the van you get taken back or picked up on time. That usually does the trick if all else fails......

It sounds selfish but you have to look after yourself too, and it isn't fair you should feel compelled each day to extend or complete in your time or on O/T.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Please explain KTB what the problem is in particular. Are you always waiting for your Partner to finish their loop? Or is it a matter of being bundled up and ready to go....and he/she is still throwing off? :hmmmm

I'm lucky not to be in a Van Share at present, although I've done a few in the past. Some were frighteningly well planned with both of us walking back to the van and arriving at the same time! :shock: On others I've been walking back and seen the Driver sat there eating his lunch while I was still out in the bloody rain! :no no

If your partner really is slow I'd suggest it might be an idea to discuss this with them. I've known some Posties to drag their heels simply because they know their partner will pick up the slack, and that's just being lazy. Perhaps something along the lines of, "If you feel this duty is too much for you perhaps you should discuss it with the DOM, he might be able to put you on a more manageable duty, I'm being asked what the problem is and at present I'm covering up for you" :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by Kick the Bucket »

Dorset Plodder wrote:Please explain KTB what the problem is in particular. Are you always waiting for your Partner to finish their loop? Or is it a matter of being bundled up and ready to go....and he/she is still throwing off? :hmmmm
It's both of these issues. I am part time and my partner is full time and expected to prepare both walks. This isn't an easy task I am well aware of this. When I arrive I assist with finishing the preparation of the walks. This more often than not includes most flats, packets, D2D items, large parcels and Special Deliveries. We then both pull our walks out and I can be waiting 30 minutes and more some days for my partner to bundle up and load into the van. Generally we are last out of the office.

On the delivery I can expect to finish loops about 5 minutes or more before my partner. When I do this walk with other people and my partner before this was not the case. We finished roughly at the same time.

My partner drags their heels on outdoor and for that reason I won't help finish off their bags. This CAN lead to a sour atmosphere at times.

I really don't like cutting off if I can help it. Firstly I like to complete my delivery, like most people. Secondly it can be an argument for me to be able to leave things regardless of me being part time. I don't want to drop my partner in it. I don't want to be the "ONE" in the office that grasses. My only option so I believe is to drop to Leave Reserve.

My intention of this thread was to highlight that Runners are not the only ones who ruin the job for people. :thumbdown
shayanboon
Posts: 58
Joined: 26 Feb 2012, 21:43
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by shayanboon »

Noticeably this early in the year things are settling down very quickly in comparison to last year and previous years (election material and such) my partner(colleague) has placed myself in the same position claiming I am to slow :shock: having worked along for the first eighteen months fine: as has been said on this discussion before or a quote that the work fits the hours. :arrrghhh
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by cpsteve »

The prep is the whole offices job not you and your partner. If you are leaving late let your manager know it is causing you time problems he/she should sort it out (you may need to bring work back to highlight it).
Kick the Bucket
Posts: 119
Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by Kick the Bucket »

cpsteve wrote:The prep is the whole offices job not you and your partner. If you are leaving late let your manager know it is causing you time problems he/she should sort it out (you may need to bring work back to highlight it).
This doesn't seem to be the case at my office friend. Everyone is paired up for park and loop. The pairs are 1 full time and 1 part time member of staff. The full time person prepares the majority of the pairings deliveries.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Looks like most of your problem is what RM term the "Indoor Element" KTB. Sounds like your partner is spending a bit to much time having a cuppa & a chat with the other Double Preppers. I would expect him to have least prepped both walks up to the packets stage.... leaving you packets, redirections & bundling up.... IMO he's taking the piss. :no no

Work out how much time you're meant to spend on your indoor element, Re-Directions, bundling up & loading can often take you an hour. There should be a duty breakdown within your walk log of how long you should be spending on what. Have a look at that, you may well be surprised at what some lazy buggers "Conveniently Forget" to do....... BS such as "My old partner never minded throwing off his households". If your Partner's meant to be prepping something make sure he is. He has a FT duty with all the associated responsibilities.

None of us like to bubble a colleague but once you've checked your facts, had a word with him (easy to do once your out in the van), then IF there's no improvement in his attitude (and he's not provided you with a reasonable explanation i.e "I'm getting on a bit now and find the work a lot harder") I'd feel no great inclination to continue covering his arse! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Snails

Post by cpsteve »

Kick the Bucket wrote:
cpsteve wrote:The prep is the whole offices job not you and your partner. If you are leaving late let your manager know it is causing you time problems he/she should sort it out (you may need to bring work back to highlight it).
This doesn't seem to be the case at my office friend. Everyone is paired up for park and loop. The pairs are 1 full time and 1 part time member of staff. The full time person prepares the majority of the pairings deliveries.
Tell the manager of the problem it is their job to resolve problems say nothing or dont bring work back and nothing will be done.