ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Buy downs

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
j1mmyc
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:09
Gender: Male

Buy downs

Post by j1mmyc »

hi all, I had a buy down 6 years ago and wasn't allowed to apply for full time hours for 24 months which was fine now my office has had 7 people being made up to full time and I haven't been asked, I went to the DOM and asked why I hadn't been asked to up my hours to full time and his reply was "I go down on the list to where the people started when my 24 months was finished" is this true or is he having me on? It says nothing in my contract saying I basically lose my position in order just says I wasn't allowed to apply for jobs above 25hrs for 24months
slinder123
Posts: 261
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
Gender: Female

Buy downs

Post by slinder123 »

you keep your seniority and after 2 years are eligible to get a full time position see your rep :cuppa
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Buy downs

Post by DB1100 »

I was told that following a buy down you could go back up to full time at any time but you would have to pay a percentage of the money back,so if there was a full time vacancy after a year you could apply and if you were the most senior you would get the job but would have to pay back 50% of the money you got,and after 2 years you could go back up and not pay anything back,and no loss of seniority.
For we were soldiers once,and young
bigal383
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 492
Joined: 11 Dec 2012, 16:20
Gender: Male

Buy downs

Post by bigal383 »

you got paid to buy down and your choice, how about give the lads under you a chance to be full time....
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Buy downs

Post by walkthewalk »

bigal383 wrote:you got paid to buy down and your choice, how about give the lads under you a chance to be full time....
Point taken but rules are rules just like seniority rules end of.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Buy downs

Post by aiden01 »

walkthewalk wrote:
bigal383 wrote:you got paid to buy down and your choice, how about give the lads under you a chance to be full time....
Point taken but rules are rules just like seniority rules end of.
:thumbup :thumbup
j1mmyc
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:09
Gender: Male

Buy downs

Post by j1mmyc »

I've spoke to my rep and he doesn't know where I slot back in into the seniority list when the 2 years were up there has been about 12 people made up since my 24 months were up but as said the DOM has penciled me in where starters started after my 24 months was finished

I think the DOM just doesn't want to go round to the person who was last made up last week and tell them there no longer full time he knows I'm right

If he doesn't play ball Ipad d can find my contract im seriously considering taking legal action as some sort

Does anybody know if HR would have a copy of my buy down contract as not sure if still got the original?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Buy downs

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

j1mmyc wrote:I

I think the DOM just doesn't want to go round to the person who was last made up last week and tell them there no longer full time he knows I'm right
He can't it would be too expensive and legally questionable. If they have signed the contract then they are now FT, the situation, beyond being incidentally connected to yours is no fault of their own.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
j1mmyc
Posts: 39
Joined: 02 Mar 2010, 19:09
Gender: Male

Buy downs

Post by j1mmyc »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
j1mmyc wrote:I

I think the DOM just doesn't want to go round to the person who was last made up last week and tell them there no longer full time he knows I'm right
He can't it would be too expensive and legally questionable. If they have signed the contract then they are now FT, the situation, beyond being incidentally connected to yours is no fault of their own.
So how do I go about this now? As I was never asked?