ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by Mezza »

Having been trying for a long time to prove my previous service with RM (about 4 years back in mid 80's), i have finally managed to get a letter on the way from the tax office detailing my employment history with RM at that time.
This is to finally obtain additional holiday entitlement as mentioned in the current agreement. It is not to try and increase seniority or anything else - just holiday entitlement(before anyone jumps on that bandwagon).

My question is what will it all add up to?
I am just approaching 12 years this stint - so will be 15 years in May 2017.

If i remember rightly leave was calculated differently back when i started in 2002 and not as it is these days.
So that may affect any outstanding leave that i should have been entitled to whilst trying to prove my previous service.

Will the entitlement i have missed even be considered, or will it simply be ignored and my new entitlement will be all that i get ?

Anyone with experience or knowledge of this that can shed some light would be appreciated.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32797
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by POSTMAN »

Time served is time served, when said service gets added together the leave amount is what it is.
Push it and stick it up 'em Mezza!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by Dexydog »

I had 20 years' service in between 1988 and 2009 (and received 6 weeks in my 21st year before leaving), and recently started again.
From this post do I understand correctly- I am entitled to 6 weeks holiday from re-start?
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by General Mannerheim »

Dexydog wrote:I had 20 years' service in between 1988 and 2009 (and received 6 weeks in my 21st year before leaving), and recently started again.
From this post do I understand correctly- I am entitled to 6 weeks holiday from re-start?
Yes you will get 6 weeks. Expect your DOM or DOM support to try and say your not entitled to it :roll: , but it's in the way forward agreement, previous service is counted. :nana

All periods of service on a temporary or permanent contract (with periods of casual service included only if they run continuously into a temporary or permanent contract), except for those on unpaid leave, SPPR, or with HM Forces exceeding 15 days, will count towards calculating leave due. Previous periods of PO service may be counted for this purpose.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by Dexydog »

Excellent, will have a chat with DOM tomorrow and see what he says.
If he says no (whether he knows it's true or not), what would be my way forward to get it??
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by General Mannerheim »

Dexydog wrote:Excellent, will have a chat with DOM tomorrow and see what he says.
If he says no (whether he knows it's true or not), what would be my way forward to get it??
You can ring up HR Services and query it, or if you've a rep in your craphole get him to chase it up if the DOM is being arsey.
When I rang up HR a wet behind the ears drone said my colleague wasn't entitled to it :roll: ,so I asked him to pass me onto his manager who knew straight away what I was on about(he even quoted which page it was on in the way forward agreement :Applause ).
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by Dexydog »

Brilliant will chase it up tomorrow.
Suppose it would be a case of proving it, even though the guy I started work with on the day I started in 1988 is still there!
Will post back, might just ring HR first before speaking to DOM.
Mr Incognito
Posts: 64
Joined: 02 Jul 2013, 21:02
Gender: Male

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by Mr Incognito »

At the time I had 19 years of current service and just over 2 years from a previous stint in the job. Got proof of my previous service from pensions (back in the day everything was on paper unlike today). I was bumped up to 6 weeks leave and got @£700 back for leave that I was entitled to but did not get. Good luck! :thumbup
Mezza
Posts: 405
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 21:56
Location: West London

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by Mezza »

You should be fine in getting proof from HR as your last service was fairly recent.

With mine being back in the 80's RM said they had no record. Tried HR, Pensions and even a department called Attendance something or other. I had my old badge number, office address and everything but was no good.

In the end i spoke to the tax office who are sending out proof that i was with RM including pay ref information etc,

It's taken best part of 6 months to even get this far but so looking forward to waving that letter from the tax office under my DOM's nose.
Dexydog
Posts: 887
Joined: 14 Jan 2017, 13:54
Gender: Male

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by Dexydog »

Pleased to report had a word with DOM assist and line manager this morning, both genuinely had no idea about it.
Quick call to HR and confirmed on the spot.
My DOM assist has sorted everything out and won't now be paying for my 6 weeks' leave come April.
On top of that I have some days owing for current year.
All in all a very good outcome thanks to this forum, so thanks everyone.
Shame it took me to stumble upon it, should be automatic really.
General Mannerheim
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2299
Joined: 14 Dec 2007, 13:10
Gender: Male
Location: Stalag 17

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by General Mannerheim »

Dexydog wrote:Pleased to report had a word with DOM assist and line manager this morning, both genuinely had no idea about it.
Quick call to HR and confirmed on the spot.
My DOM assist has sorted everything out and won't now be paying for my 6 weeks' leave come April.
On top of that I have some days owing for current year.
All in all a very good outcome thanks to this forum, so thanks everyone.
Shame it took me to stumble upon it, should be automatic really.
Yeah Result! :nana :Applause
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.
steveoooo1
Posts: 58
Joined: 11 Aug 2015, 19:40
Gender: Male

Previous Service and Holiday Entitlement

Post by steveoooo1 »

I'm having same issues. started in 2002 as casual then proper employed in 2003, left in 08 but came back in 2015. they are saying I need to prove I was employed.... given them pension and tax evidence but still hitting my head against the wall.