ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Sunflower14
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 09:03
Gender: Female

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by Sunflower14 »

I feel lousy tonight and wondered what I do about phoning in tomorrow? Few weeks ago I worked through the flu, don't know how, but feel it's coming back haunt me now
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by datasaint »

Phone your office tomorrow before your start time, or your line manager, or failing that phone somebody at work to pass the message on.

If you're too ill to work there's nothing you can do, so relax and get better. :thumbup
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by greengiant »

You'll probably find a letter posted on your doormat from your DOM, expressing his concern at you being unwell, and to keep in touch.

All you can do is phone the office / line manager as soon as you can before your start time, then feet up and rest till you feel better. You can't help being unwell.

Anyway, from the attendance procedures: http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=11808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. MINIMUM NATIONAL STANDARDS - NEW ENTRANTS ON TRIAL

With employees new to Royal Mail it is important to establish quickly a clear
understanding of the need to maintain appropriate standards of attendance.
Attendance may be regarded as warranting formal action if an employee who is on
trial has:

Stage 1: 2 absences or 7 days in a 6 month period

Stage 2: 1 absence in the next 2 months

Stage 3: 1 absence in the next 2 months

So try not to worry!

Hope you feel better soon! :cuppa
Sunflower14
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 09:03
Gender: Female

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by Sunflower14 »

Thank you. Can't work through this like I did with the flu. It's asking too much
Sunflower14
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 09:03
Gender: Female

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by Sunflower14 »

Can anyone let me know if I will get statutory sick pay?
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by South_London_Postie »

Unfortunately not for the first three days you won't.

https://www.gov.uk/employers-sick-pay/entitlement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunflower14
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 09:03
Gender: Female

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by Sunflower14 »

Ok that's fine. So if I'm off longer I will get paid ssp next week? Will I be paid for Monday and Tuesday?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Sunflower14 wrote:Ok that's fine. So if I'm off longer I will get paid ssp next week? Will I be paid for Monday and Tuesday?

If you worked them, yes you should.

Though unfortunately, you may need to chase the SSP, I did when I was a trialist but that was over a decade ago.

Hope you feel better ßoon.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Sunflower14
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 09:03
Gender: Female

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by Sunflower14 »

That's so bad having to chase ssp. Fingers crossed. Thank you
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Going off sick in first few months of starting

Post by rubberbond »

Sunflower14 wrote:Thank you. Can't work through this like I did with the flu. It's asking too much
If you had,had 'flu,you would not have been working,people die from influenza , what you probably had, was a virus but not the influenza virus.,which wouod have kept you in your bed. Hope you feel better soon.
Sorry to be pedantic,but facts are sacred.
Sunflower14
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 58
Joined: 01 Oct 2016, 09:03
Gender: Female

Going off sick in first few months of starting job

Post by Sunflower14 »

I worked through the flu over xmas, I now feel I am paying for it, plus I have other things going on causing a lot of stress. I don't need proof I have professional people who can vouch for me. im not having any manager telling me what I haven't got or me having to fight my corner when its there in my face. shocking