Hey guys,
I requested some unpaid parental leave last week for March and August (so plenty of notice and not exactly a busy period).
Today the DOM informed me I can't have those weeks and has offered alternatives. His reason being operational needs, from what I can gather his only reason is that there are no annual leave gaps left for the weeks I require?!
The weeks he has offered me do have annual leave availability. Surely this should not have a baring on parental leave; if there were no gaps then I would still be entitled to 4 weeks per year so what does annual leave matter?
I'm unsure where I stand here as acas/gov websites both state it cannot be postponed unless it would seriously impact the business.
Wondering what counts as a good reason for postponing parental leave? I need these specific weeks due to my childminder being on holiday so I have no one to look after my daughter!
Cheers!
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Parental leave postponed
-
TONY MELON
- Posts: 73
- Joined: 17 Jan 2008, 11:24
Parental leave postponed
Get your union rep involved asap
Reason for refusal is wrong
Your dom can't refuse your parental leave
Based on annual leave slots being full
Parental leave is your legal right ask for the refusal
In writing
Reason for refusal is wrong
Your dom can't refuse your parental leave
Based on annual leave slots being full
Parental leave is your legal right ask for the refusal
In writing
-
weakerthan
- Posts: 44
- Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 14:31
- Gender: Female
Parental leave postponed
Thanks for that, feel so sure I'm in the right on this one but was debating it back and forth with the DOM for half an hour going through the policy and he seems convinced if he throws 'operational needs' into the dialogue he can get away with anything.
Have sent an email to regional union rep as office ones aren't too great. Why does this company have to make everything a fight!
Have sent an email to regional union rep as office ones aren't too great. Why does this company have to make everything a fight!
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Parental leave postponed
There's nothing stopping you phoning him up tomorrow morning and having the rest of this week off for parental leave so how dare he try and stop you after you've given notice