ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Being asked to go to another office
-
angelcakes8791
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 02 Dec 2016, 23:15
- Gender: Female
Being asked to go to another office
Need some advice fellow posties! Basically I said no to going to another office overtime on my day off but worried as I'm still on my trial period and I should be impressing....should I be worried?
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Being asked to go to another office
It was your day off. Don't worry about it.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Being asked to go to another office
Don't worry about it. You need to stand up for yourself or they will take the piss!
-
Acca Dacca
- Posts: 3221
- Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
- Gender: Male
Being asked to go to another office
Ovetime is optional
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
-
angelcakes8791
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 02 Dec 2016, 23:15
- Gender: Female
Being asked to go to another office
I just feel like cos I'm new I should be doing it to keep my job if that makes sense?
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Being asked to go to another office
It costs time and money to recruit. Royal Mail have a high staff turnover. Unless you do something totally stupid or go out your way to make an enemy of a particular manager, then it is a certainty your contract will be renewed.
If you do happen to be asked to go to another office, then you are meant to report to your regular office at start time and travelling time to and from the other office is to be included in duty time. For example if it takes half an hour to get from office b) back to office a) and you have a finishing time of 14:00, then you need to leave the other office at 13:30.
They are also responsible for providing transport to other office. They may ask you to use your own vehicle and pay mileage. This might be agreeable to you. However, be sure to check with your insurer whether you are covered as many insures only cover based on travelling to a regular place of work. Finding out about the insurance aspect is your responsibility.
If you do happen to be asked to go to another office, then you are meant to report to your regular office at start time and travelling time to and from the other office is to be included in duty time. For example if it takes half an hour to get from office b) back to office a) and you have a finishing time of 14:00, then you need to leave the other office at 13:30.
They are also responsible for providing transport to other office. They may ask you to use your own vehicle and pay mileage. This might be agreeable to you. However, be sure to check with your insurer whether you are covered as many insures only cover based on travelling to a regular place of work. Finding out about the insurance aspect is your responsibility.
-
angelcakes8791
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 02 Dec 2016, 23:15
- Gender: Female
Being asked to go to another office
Thank you for the advice it's helped :-) yeah I've been making sure I'm getting my fuel expenses and my insurance is covered aswell but I've been finishing at 2 then getting back to my office at half past because it's 30 min drive
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Being asked to go to another office
Are you claiming overtime for the travelling aspect (assuming it is done outside of contracted hours)?
-
angelcakes8791
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 02 Dec 2016, 23:15
- Gender: Female
Being asked to go to another office
No the boss hasn't told me about that :-(
-
steve1873
- Posts: 800
- Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55
Being asked to go to another office
There's a surprise. You are entitled to be paid for the travelling time as it forms part of your duty, so like I say either do the travelling within contracted hours or claim overtime!
Take your full meal relief entitlement also! I can't stress that part highly enough (regardless of working out of home office or being sent elsewhere).
Take your full meal relief entitlement also! I can't stress that part highly enough (regardless of working out of home office or being sent elsewhere).
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Being asked to go to another office
If you're ever asked to do Overtime that you don't want (and feel pressured into doing it) just lie! Tell him you've got to pick the kids up or you've got an appointment.
RM Management never respond to things like Posties just working their contracted hours. They'll spend 30 mins trying to convince you to do 15 mins lapsing!
You'll end up working untill 1600 and they knocked off at 1100. 
RM Management never respond to things like Posties just working their contracted hours. They'll spend 30 mins trying to convince you to do 15 mins lapsing!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Being asked to go to another office
Why do you have to give a reason? If you don't want to do it,just say ,politely, of course,no,thank you. Remember,your time outside of working hours is yours,not theirs. You donot need to explain. If I want to do overtime, I do,if I don't ,I don't.Dorset Plodder wrote:If you're ever asked to do Overtime that you don't want (and feel pressured into doing it) just lie! Tell him you've got to pick the kids up or you've got an appointment.![]()
RM Management never respond to things like Posties just working their contracted hours. They'll spend 30 mins trying to convince you to do 15 mins lapsing!You'll end up working untill 1600 and they knocked off at 1100.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Being asked to go to another office
Why do you have to give a reason? If you don't want to do it,just say ,politely, of course,no,thank you. Remember,your time outside of working hours is yours,not theirs. You do not need to explain,nor do you need to lie. If you want to do overtime, do so, if you don't ,don't.rubberbond wrote:Dorset Plodder wrote:If you're ever asked to do Overtime that you don't want (and feel pressured into doing it) just lie! Tell him you've got to pick the kids up or you've got an appointment.![]()
RM Management never respond to things like Posties just working their contracted hours. They'll spend 30 mins trying to convince you to do 15 mins lapsing!You'll end up working untill 1600 and they knocked off at 1100.
-
yellowbelly
- Posts: 3725
- Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
- Gender: Male
Being asked to go to another office
Thought travelling/mileage etc. was different if it's to a different DO on your day off...steve1873 wrote:There's a surprise. You are entitled to be paid for the travelling time as it forms part of your duty, so like I say either do the travelling within contracted hours or claim overtime!
Take your full meal relief entitlement also! I can't stress that part highly enough (regardless of working out of home office or being sent elsewhere).
Can someone clarify - I thought if it was on your day off and you are working at a different office to your normal
DO you are not entitled to travelling time, it's just start to end of duty time and it's all O/T (as it's not part of your contracted hours)?
Didn't think RM had responsibility for getting you to the different office if it's your day off on O/T either?
Also would you be entitled to all the mileage from home to the different DO or just the mileage in excess of the distance from your home to normal DO on a 'normal' day?
If claiming time and mileage is possible when it's your day off at another office, I've missed out on a few beer chits on the rare occasions I've done it!!!
-
Clared
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
- Gender: Female
Being asked to go to another office
When I go to another office I start the mileage from home to the office & back