ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

stickering up!.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DICK43
Posts: 68
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:58
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by DICK43 »

Every bloke that comes to our office from somewhere else wonders what the hell we are doing `stickering up` our parcels at the end of the shift, I`ve heard "we don`t do that!, that`s the PHG`s job" and " we just throw `em in a truck when we get back and that`s it!"), you wouldn`t believe how many times I`ve heard that!, just wondering if we are doing the PHG`s job for her or not? (not that the PHG would know what street each parcel was on anyway!!)...
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by weary_posty »

There's no such thing as a PHG.
DICK43
Posts: 68
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:58
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by DICK43 »

What do call someone who gets to sit on their arse and watches the frost/snow coming down while everybody else in the office is trying not to crash the van or slip over whilst their having a lovely hot drink every hour plus a nice dinner that that does not come `back up` because they are bending over/running up flats, call me Sherlock, but, mmmmm `postman higher grade`??..
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

stickering up!.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

weary_posty wrote:There's no such thing as a PHG.
No but it is the nickname that everyone knows stands for those that work in the locker. Does it really matter, we know what he meant.

If you mean f/l sticker - we do that.

Or entering on the system ready for collection - Our Callers office staff do that. However if you do do it, it does mean less outdoor time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

We do it as well. The argument is that PHG sometimes doesn't know which duty an address is on. So when we all throw our returns into a York at the end of duty the guy in the Office (PHG) can put them in the correct York for collection later on. Makes sense to me.

Most Posties carry a roll of stickers in the van and we just stick them on once we've 739d a parcel. Less time hanging around in the DO once you get back. Wouldn't surprise me that some people would argue about it though... could save them a few seconds....just like the annoying buggers that can't be bothered to put Re-Directions into the bags, and just put an elastic band around them,.....saves seconds. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
yellowbelly
Posts: 3726
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by yellowbelly »

Dorset Plodder wrote:just like the annoying buggers that can't be bothered to put Re-Directions into the bags, and just put an elastic band around them,.....saves seconds. :cuppa
I started to get these regularly for an address that got loads of mail, funnily enough the inferior RM laggy bands that held the bundle
together mysteriously started to snap every time so I just had to chuck the back letters back into the missorts bag and
just deliver the top letter with the sticker on. Funnily enough after about a week, they started coming through in bags.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12191
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Speaking of redirections, when a redirection has the new address on a walk in the same office, don't DOs have a box or frame slot that they can be put in, instead of sending them back to the local MC?
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

yellowbelly wrote:
Dorset Plodder wrote:just like the annoying buggers that can't be bothered to put Re-Directions into the bags, and just put an elastic band around them,.....saves seconds. :cuppa
I started to get these regularly for an address that got loads of mail, funnily enough the inferior RM laggy bands that held the bundle
together mysteriously started to snap every time so I just had to chuck the back letters back into the missorts bag and
just deliver the top letter with the sticker on. Funnily enough after about a week, they started coming through in bags.
I've noticed the same thing myself Yellowbelly. Especially after our PHG rung the Redirecting Office and asked them to do their job properly, and was still ignored! What goes around comes around. :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by Dorset Plodder »

SpacePhoenix wrote:Speaking of redirections, when a redirection has the new address on a walk in the same office, don't DOs have a box or frame slot that they can be put in, instead of sending them back to the local MC?
You'd think so wouldn't you SP? :hmmmm Generally we do just take those around to the "New" Address (on the way to the ReDi Boxes). However we've got a pigeon hole for our neighbouring office which I use, but the other day the PHG said put their redirections in the box to return to the mail centre! So I don't know if the policy's changed recently? The same could be said about emptying mail boxes. I've often noticed mail for our office when I've emptied them. Should I take them out and throw them off when I get back? I don't bother as I thought I'd be doing you guys out of a job. :Very Happy
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12191
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

stickering up!.

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Dorset Plodder wrote:but the other day the PHG said put their redirections in the box to return to the mail centre! So I don't know if the policy's changed recently?
Only downside to that is if it's a mechable letter, the IMP or iLSM will read the barcode and sort it to the batch for the old walk and it'll probably get sequenced in the old walk.
Dorset Plodder wrote: I don't bother as I thought I'd be doing you guys out of a job.
I think within a few years it'll be the other way around, we'll either do DO staff out of a job or DO staff will end up with virtually no indoor work and so either be out on delivery for 8 hours or all be part time