ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Days off change every week - can they do that?
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Days off change every week - can they do that?
When I started 18 months ago I was employed on a 20 hour contract, Wednesday to Saturday.
In the last few months I have been put on 3 x 6 hour 40 min shifts. The problem is that they change my days every week and I don't know what I'm working the following week until Friday afternoon or sometimes, Saturday morning.
This makes planning anything outside of work very difficult as I don't know what I'm working from one week to the next. Effectively I work 3 days a week but I've got to be available 6 days a week. Other staff on a 3 day week are kept on the same 3 days but me and others are changed every week.
Can RM do this? Would I be within my rights to give them dates I'm not available in advance and expect them to accommodate me???
Thanks in advance.
In the last few months I have been put on 3 x 6 hour 40 min shifts. The problem is that they change my days every week and I don't know what I'm working the following week until Friday afternoon or sometimes, Saturday morning.
This makes planning anything outside of work very difficult as I don't know what I'm working from one week to the next. Effectively I work 3 days a week but I've got to be available 6 days a week. Other staff on a 3 day week are kept on the same 3 days but me and others are changed every week.
Can RM do this? Would I be within my rights to give them dates I'm not available in advance and expect them to accommodate me???
Thanks in advance.
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Days off change every week - can they do that?
Don't worry someone who "really" knows, like TBT, will answer this in a while. My view for what its worth is that they should give you at least 48 hours notice, but then what do I know. 
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Days off change every week - can they do that?
Thanks Nigel1505, yes TBT will know. 48 hours' notice is eff all when you are trying to organise your life outside of RM!Nigel1505 wrote:Don't worry someone who "really" knows, like TBT, will answer this in a while. My view for what its worth is that they should give you at least 48 hours notice, but then what do I know.
-
Nigel1505
- Posts: 409
- Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
- Gender: Male
Days off change every week - can they do that?
Life outside RM, hush your mouth. 
-
thumbcat
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 19 Sep 2016, 12:59
- Gender: Female
Days off change every week - can they do that?
It's the same in my office. I work four days a week but don't know which days they'll be until Friday afternoon. It does make planning anything very difficult.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Days off change every week - can they do that?
That's not good thumbcat. It was much easier when I worked Wednesday to Saturday.thumbcat wrote:It's the same in my office. I work four days a week but don't know which days they'll be until Friday afternoon. It does make planning anything very difficult.
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Days off change every week - can they do that?
The duties are supposed to be shown up to six weeks in advance. That's why the office rep and the DOM,have their MANDATORY, weekly resource meetings,oh hang on a minute...........thumbcat wrote:It's the same in my office. I work four days a week but don't know which days they'll be until Friday afternoon. It does make planning anything very difficult.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Days off change every week - can they do that?
rubberbond wrote:The duties are supposed to be shown up to six weeks in advance. That's why the office rep and the DOM,have their MANDATORY, weekly resource meetings,oh hang on a minute...........thumbcat wrote:It's the same in my office. I work four days a week but don't know which days they'll be until Friday afternoon. It does make planning anything very difficult.
Really? 6 weeks sounds reasonable TBH.
-
ddtc
- Posts: 253
- Joined: 16 Jul 2012, 19:42
- Gender: Male
Days off change every week - can they do that?
6 weeks? Don't joke. Our rota us up every Saturday for the following week!
-
telithowitis
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
- Gender: Male
Days off change every week - can they do that?
It's incompetent management, by line managers who are too busy prepping frames and delivering mail to meet bonus targets.
Then they wonder why so many new people leave and they are short staffed. I was told that retention rates are less than 1 in 6 starters stays 3 months or more, not sure if it's true but they certainly come and go. Why RM thinks it's okay to treat new staff in this manner in the 21st century I dont know.
New staff arrive and instead of being put on a training round are given the hardest round in office when they should be learning the basics for 6 weeks before getting the though round. Then get hassled into going back out for hours delivering mail others have left behind.
Zero training on PDA,s and importantly how to problem solve them when they go wrong.
In our office some of the new guys drive to work and then get sent home without pay "not needed as no ones gone sick"
Once your there a while it's okay but it appears managers try to test how far they can push and use new staff rather than take time and support them to make them efficient posties.
Then they wonder why so many new people leave and they are short staffed. I was told that retention rates are less than 1 in 6 starters stays 3 months or more, not sure if it's true but they certainly come and go. Why RM thinks it's okay to treat new staff in this manner in the 21st century I dont know.
New staff arrive and instead of being put on a training round are given the hardest round in office when they should be learning the basics for 6 weeks before getting the though round. Then get hassled into going back out for hours delivering mail others have left behind.
Zero training on PDA,s and importantly how to problem solve them when they go wrong.
In our office some of the new guys drive to work and then get sent home without pay "not needed as no ones gone sick"
Once your there a while it's okay but it appears managers try to test how far they can push and use new staff rather than take time and support them to make them efficient posties.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Days off change every week - can they do that?
peshwaarinaan wrote:Thanks Nigel1505, yes TBT will know. 48 hours' notice is eff all when you are trying to organise your life outside of RM!Nigel1505 wrote:Don't worry someone who "really" knows, like TBT, will answer this in a while. My view for what its worth is that they should give you at least 48 hours notice, but then what do I know.
It all depends on your contract and what they hired you for.
If it says 3 days over 6 then yes they can. If it is specific about days, then they can't change them without your agreement, or without a new contract.
As to changing your hours when they can, they have to give you reasonable notice. If you don't think its reasonable and you have already arranged something then its tough on them, although to be fair you'll probably have a fight over it so always chat with a decent rep first.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Days off change every week - can they do that?
Thanks for your reply TBT. Unfortunately my contract is for "20 hours per week". It says "Your hours of work will be allocated to you by your manager. However, these hours may change from time after giving you reasonable notice."TrueBlueTerrier wrote:peshwaarinaan wrote:Thanks Nigel1505, yes TBT will know. 48 hours' notice is eff all when you are trying to organise your life outside of RM!Nigel1505 wrote:Don't worry someone who "really" knows, like TBT, will answer this in a while. My view for what its worth is that they should give you at least 48 hours notice, but then what do I know.
It all depends on your contract and what they hired you for.
If it says 3 days over 6 then yes they can. If it is specific about days, then they can't change them without your agreement, or without a new contract.
As to changing your hours when they can, they have to give you reasonable notice. If you don't think its reasonable and you have already arranged something then its tough on them, although to be fair you'll probably have a fight over it so always chat with a decent rep first.
I will mention it to my Rep though. I object to having to be available 6 days a week when I'm paid to work 3!
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male